Description: This photograph has been tentatively dated to the 1980's. Notice the mailbox at the corner--a rarity in Mineral Wells at the present  time. The street appears to be devoid of markings, but traffic bumps are visible--a provision no longer  in effect for this street. The picture shows the First State Bank, which began business at the southwest corner of the 100 block of East Hubbard with a drive-in teller and parking lot at the back of the bank. The First State Bank president was Leon Cowan; vice-presidents were Tony Street and Leon Groves. The First State Bank occupied the northeast corner of N. Oak Avenue and E. Hubbard Streets after The City National Bank (now First Financial Bank) moved from here to its current  location at 1900 W. Hubbard Street. First State Bank is now  located at 101 SE 1st Avenue. The building now  houses the offices for the Mineral Wells Hospice. The Gentleman's Closet, next door, was a man's haberdashery. It was a remodeled store that had been occupied by a number of previous businesses. It is presently  vacant.
Item Type: Photograph