Boyce Ditto Public Library - 1,872 Matching Results

Search Results

Radar Summary Chart

Description: This booklet gives an overview of radar summary charts as they relate to aviation. According to the scope notes on the title page, it includes an "Introduction to Radar Summary Charts." The text also has self-evaluation questions printed throughout, with the answers printed on page 14.
Date: August 1971
Creator: Maerk, Allen E.

[Firing and Deflection Conversion Tables]

Description: This document (FT 81 B3, abridged) consists of two pages, each with a separate table. The first table is a chart that shows range and elevation for firing particular mortar shells. The second page includes a chart with range and deflection (presumably for the same kind of shells), as well as notes which give additional instructions.
Date: November 1, 1940
Creator: United States. Army. Ordnance Dept.

Medical Facts for Pilots

Description: This pamphlet gives an overview of information for pilots to maintain good health and recognize warning signs of problems they might face specific to flying.
Date: July 1972
Creator: Siegel, Peter V. & Mohler, Stanley R.

Unit History of 845th Engineer Aviation Battalion [ From] 1 January 1956 to 29 February 1956

Description: This document gives a narrative of the activities of the 845th Engineer Aviation Battalion, as they prepared to leave one station (England Air Force Base, Louisiana) for their new headquarters at Wolters Air Force Base in Texas. There is a description of their drills, inspections, and preparations as well as an appendix with the original movement orders. The motto beneath the shield translates: "We build a nest."
Date: March 1956
Creator: Myers, William L. & Allison, A. G.

A Camera Trip Through Camp Wolters: A picture book of the camp and its activities

Description: According to the introduction, "Here is your Camp Wolters, a photo-record of faces and places to hold for you the memory of your first days in Our Army at this infantry replacement training center." The booklet includes photographs and a commentary regarding different sorts of training and exercise, meal times, recreational activities, and camp buildings.
Date: unknown

The Thatch

Description: This photograph presents a conundrum. The building itself appears to be an eclectic mixture of Gothic Revival and Queen Anne (Spindle work subclass) styles. Advertising copy from around the picture relates that The Thatch was operated by Mrs. W. G. Wright. The building was said to be located "Within one block of the famous Gibson and Sangcura pavilions" (the 700 block of NW 2nd Avenue and the 800 block of NW 2nd Avenue, respectively). Polk's Directory for 1909 fails to record The Thatch, or Mrs. Wright, as also fail the directories for 1920, 1924, and 1927. No mention of the Thatch appears in A.F. Weaver's "Time was in Mineral Wells...." The unpaved roads in front of the hotel suggest that the picture was taken before 1914. Copy around the picture (not visible here) remark that the building was "Erected two years ago", but no firm date may be deduced from that information.
Date: unknown

Roundtree Sanitarium

Description: "The Roundtree Sanitarium, located at the corner of SE Fifth Avenue and SE Third Street, was later owned by Dr. Hugh Milling and operated as the Milling Sanitarium. Part of this house is still standing." (The text was taken from page 129 of A. F. Weaver's :"TIME WAS In Mineral Wells...") The eclectic architecture (The main building Prairie, the porches Neoclassical) is very interesting.
Date: unknown

Colonial Hotel

Description: The Colonial Hotel at 115 W. Hubbard Street was built by rancher J.T. Holt for his second wife, who would not live in the country, despite the fact that he had bought a ranch (near Mineral wells) of five thousand acres about the year 1900. The hotel was traded to Agnew and Bessie Damron for a ranch about 1917, and its name was changed to The Damron Hotel. The popular hotel burned down December 22, 1975 along with several other adjoining businesses.
Date: unknown

[The Foster House]

Description: This picture depicts a hotel--done in Queen Anne style (Spindle-work sub-type). Please note the unusual two-story wraparound porch, also with spindle-work. It appears to have been excerpted from a fragment of advertising copy that gives the name of the building as "The Foster", and extols the owner (Mr. T[homas] J[efferson] Foster) as "...an old hotel hand of large acquaintance and wide experience, who has studied the wants and needs of his guests[,] and loses no opportunity of making them comfortable." Another picture (this from the June 5, 1903 "Daily Index") remarks that the hotel was opened in 1902, and that it is "[L]ocated just right to catch the trade--right among the wells and bath houses--as int invalid desires invariably desires to be centrally located as possible." Rates are given at $2 per day, and $12 per week. A barely-legible colophon, appearing to read "FONE" appears in the lower left-hand corner.
Date: 1910?

The Fairfield Hotel

Description: The Fairfield Inn, at 814 North Oak Street, was built by Colonel Walter H. Boykin. The hotel was built into the side of East Mountain facing West, and it is said each floor had a ground level entrance. The date of construction of the hotel is not known, but Colonel Boykin built himself a home at 1301 SE 4th Avenue in 1904.
Date: unknown

The Period Hotel

Description: A postcard of the Period Hotel, a two-story building with Neo-classical architecture which was located at the corner of NW 4th Avenue and 6th Street, in Mineral Wells, Texas is shown here. There is a horse-drawn carriage parked in front of the hotel and various people standing on the sidewalks around the building. A printed note at the top of the picture reads: "7698. The Period Hotel, Mineral Wells, Texas."
Date: unknown

The Oaks

Description: Once located at NW 3rd Avenue and 3rd Street, the Oaks met its doom in a fire that destroyed it--and the nearby Presbyterian church--in 1908. A different picture of the hotel appears in A.F. Weaver's "Time Was in Mineral Wells on page 103. The picture appears to have been excerpted from an advertising bulletin. Copy found around the negative's picture does not appear to relate directly to the hotel, but further text (that was not conserved) may have mentioned this particular hotel. A colophon in the lower right-hand corner of the photograph identifies it as the work of "Evans Photo Mineral Wells."
Date: unknown

[The Star House]

Description: The Star House was built by Mr. and Mrs. J.J. Ramsey about 1900, and contained 34 rooms. Copy around the picture (unfortunately not visible here) lists the rates at $1.25 per day, or $7 to $8 per week. A.F. Weaver (in "TIME WAS in Mineral Wells...") locates this hotel at "315 Coke Street" [sic], but Polk's Directory for 1909, 1920 and 1927 list no such person as "J.J. Ramsey", or a "Star House" located at the address given by Weaver. The 1909 Polk's Directory lists a "Star House" at 209 Elm Street (NW 2nd Avenue), with the proprietor named as "R. L. Neal."
Date: unknown

The Carlisle House, Mineral Wells Texas

Description: The Carlisle House was once located at 316 NW 3rd Avenue, and NW 4th Street. It filled a quarter of the block, and, with sixty rooms, was one of the largest hotels in Mineral Wells. It owned and managed by Mr. and Mrs. Alexander Emmett Carlisle. Mr. Carlisle died in 1911, but his widow continued to manage the hotel. The hotel met its doom in a fire that consumed six hotels and seven dwellings during its rampage. The conflagration was so thorough that the location was still empty in 1921. The Nazareth Hospital as eventually built in this location. The architecture is possibly best described as an eclectic mix of Queen Anne and Prairie styles, the latter perhaps reflecting additions to the original building. [For further details, please see the picture labeled "Carlisle House, Mineral Wells, Texas."]
Date: unknown

Howard-&-White Dry-Goods Department

Description: This picture shows a float for the Elmhurst Park Fair--around 1910. From the left are: Mr. Collier; A.L. Howard; Newt Wilson; Fred White (the owner); Pet Dotson; three Howard sisters: Helen, Floe & Eppie; Lizzie Lyles; Charlie Enzy; Joe Fleming, sitting); Mr. Phillips; Mae Howard; Mr. DeBusk; Lummie Glen; Bailey Enzy; Blake Turner; Leslie DeBusk. This picture adorns page 124 of A.F. Weaver's "Time Was in Mineral Wells."
Date: unknown

A Label of Mineral Water

Description: Shown here is a fairly modern label from a bottle of (concentrated) mineral water. Unlike its earlier representations, it makes no promise of curing disease. Instead, the label gives instructions on how to dilute the water, when to take it--and a warning when not to imbibe.
Date: unknown

Crazy Water

Description: Shown here is a label for Crazy Water, characterizing is as a "Natural, Saline, Alkaline Mineral Water--a Mild Laxative and Diuretic." The label continues with directions concerning the proper dosage. A cautious note suggests that the prospective drinker consult with a physician in cases of doubt of the required amount of water to take.
Date: unknown