Boyce Ditto Public Library - 2,605 Matching Results

Search Results

A Label of Mineral Water

Description: Shown here is a fairly modern label from a bottle of (concentrated) mineral water. Unlike its earlier representations, it makes no promise of curing disease. Instead, the label gives instructions on how to dilute the water, when to take it--and a warning when not to imbibe.
Date: unknown

Crazy Water

Description: Shown here is a label for Crazy Water, characterizing is as a "Natural, Saline, Alkaline Mineral Water--a Mild Laxative and Diuretic." The label continues with directions concerning the proper dosage. A cautious note suggests that the prospective drinker consult with a physician in cases of doubt of the required amount of water to take.
Date: unknown

Mineral Wells is 100% for "Ike" Sablosky

Description: Two boys,wearing flat paper caps,are shown here holding a sign that proclaims that Mineral Wells is "100% for 'Ike' Sablosky." The occasion is presumably a sports event--as suggested by the background. Details concerning Sablosky may be found in other pictures in this collection--under his name.
Date: unknown

The Davis Wells; The Davis Baths

Description: Pictured here is a semi-ornate brick building (with a socle presumably of stone), advertising the Davis Wells and the Davis Baths. This enterprise is not listed in A.F. Weaver's "TIME WAS in Mineral Wells...." The picture appears to have been excerpted from a larger photograph, as the legend "Davis Baths" (not visible in the picture) appears on the negative. Polk's Directory for 1920 lists "Davis Mineral Baths" (proprietor, Dr. Eldred A.--the "A" stands for "Albany"--Davis) at "210 1/2 N. Oak Avenue." The business cannot be found in the 1909 or 1914 Polk's Directories. However, the 1914 Polk's Directory shows a Dr. Davis as living at 514 East Throckmorton [presently, in 2014, NE 1st Street] with his wife, Helen. The name of the bath house was changed to the "Buck Head" (or "Buckhead", as some sources have it) at some as yet unknown date.
Date: 1920?

Mineral Wells Sanitarium

Description: The Mineral Wells Sanitarium was located at 315 NW 1st Avenue. It was built by Mssrs. Blake Barber and H. M. Coleman, who were fashioning the "First building of this magnitude erected at Mineral Wells." It was listed in 1905 as being leased by Doctors J.M. Massie, and R. G. Braswell. It was later owned and operated by B.H. Milling before he built the Milling Sanitarium. The building burned in June of 1907, (as reported by the El Paso Daily Times in July 1907) with a loss estimated at $40,000. The inmates were all rescued--some narrowly. The fire started at the skating rink of the Palace Amusement Company, (a building valued at $5,000) which had just been finished, but not opened to the public. The Mineral Wells Bath House (which was empty at the time) was also a total loss, as was the Lithia Pavilion. Part of the Wann Hotel was destroyed along with thirty small frame structures. The total loss will be about $100,000 (as the same newspaper reports it). It was later torn down and replaced by Willimann's Pharmacy. The area was vacant before the sanitarium was built. Donkeys were pastured on it, but the wind brought notice of them to the guests in the Crazy Hotel, and they were forcibly removed. Currently [2010], the Woodsmen of the World club resides at this location.
Date: unknown

The Methodist-Episcopal Church

Description: The first Methodist Episcopal Church was built at 301 NE 1st Street in 1898. The larger structure shown here resulted from expansion of the original frame structure and the addition of brick to the exterior in 1903. This church was later torn down to make room for the larger First Methodist Church, which still [2007] occupies this site. This picture is a portion of a collage that shows several church buildings.
Date: unknown

The Crazy Well Water Company

Description: This picture shows a photograph of two pages from a water-bottle-shaped brochure about Mineral Wells. The "Appendix" referred to on the verso folio refers to a series of burlesques printed on previous--unseen--pages. Recto describes the four types of the water and the various ailments that they are expected to cure. The brochure notes that number four water is purgative, and should be used in moderation, but at frequent intervals.
Date: 1920?

Howard's Hardware Store 1903

Description: A printed legend on the top of the photograph reads: "Howard Hardward [sic] 1903" Please note the crowded aisles of miscellaneous articles. Also, please notice the two counters (equipped with clerks in shirt-sleeves) and the bridge above and between them that contains further articles. A colophon at the bottom of the picture indicates that "Dan W. Evans, Photo. of Mineral Wells" took the picture.
Date: unknown

[An Early View of Mesquite Street]

Description: This picture shows the D.M. Howard Block, on the lower end of Mesquite Street [2011], the intersection of Hubbard and SE 1st streets), facing west. The principal D.M. Howard building (farthest to the left in the photograph) survived to house various furniture establishments until 1975, when it was demolished. The three subsidiary buildings had been removed earlier. A legend on the base of the original photograph reads: "LOWER END OF MESQUITE STREET--Photo by McClure". Please note the absence of automobiles, the complete lack of paving, and the large traveling-bonnet worn by the lady in the foreground. The telegraph pole in the foreground appears to have been hand-hewn. The unpaved road supplies corroborating evidence that the photograph was taken before 1914. The identity of McClure, however, remains unknown. This picture appears in A.F. Weaver's "TIME WAS in Mineral Wells...." on page 122.
Date: unknown

Dry Goods--W.H.H.Hightower

Description: This picture shows what is conjectured to be a business from either the latest nineteenth, or the earliest twentieth centuries. There appears to be no display window nor door to it, only two posts to hold up the story above. The second story appears to be a clapboard false-front, as the windows and balconet seem only to be painted. Three men stand stiffly inside, one of them by what appears to be a display of straw hats--which perhaps dates the picture to the end of the nineteenth or beginning of the twentieth century. The second story bears the legend DRY GOODS/ BOOTS SHOES HATS &c. GENTS FURNISHING DRESS GOODS &c. W.H. HIGHTOWER. Three flags appear to adorn the front. A holograph on the back reads: "W.H. Hightower Grandfather of Mrs. Lyday & Grady & Rayford Hightower merchant from Georgia first settled in Johnson Co. near Cleburne located near Lattners [sic]"
Date: unknown

Inside a Howard Department Store

Description: This picture shows the interior of an A.L. Howard business that was located where the Baker Hotel stands today [2012]. Howard himself is shown standing behind the umbrella case. Please observe the clerk in the background. He is wearing a jacket. The lady in the mid-foreground is equivalently dressed. Please observe also the apparent dimness of the interior. The photograph apparently dates from the first quarter of the twentieth century.
Date: unknown

Mineral Wells Hardware

Description: The sign painted on the side of the store proclaims that this building is the Mineral Wells Hardware Company. Located at 212 SE 1st Avenue, it was owned by Mssrs. Smith & Frost. It was later bought by L.E. Seaman. In 1975, it became the location of Widlake Motor Supply. The picture appears on page 126 of A. F. Weaver's "TIME WAS in Mineral Wells...."
Date: unknown

City Meat Market

Description: The City Meat Market was located south of the Oxford Hotel. It faced SE 1st Street, where the entrance to the First National (Bank?) was located. Please observe the horse-drawn wagon at the right of the photograph. Modern [2016] viewers might be appalled at the sight of sides of meat hanging in the open air; but when this photograph was taken, it was standard procedure. The gentleman holding the carcasses of poultry probably does so only for the sake of the picture. The clean aprons of all the men associated with the store were probably also donned only for the picture. Otherwise, they would be heavily blood-stained. This building later housed Roger's Army Store. Information about it was taken from A. F. Weaver's book "TIME WAS in Mineral Wells", second edition, page 121.
Date: unknown

[Ashburn Ice Cream Company]

Description: The interior of the Ashburn Ice Cream Company, taken about 1942, is shown here. The ice cream company appears to be a chain of stores, as the Denison press reports an Ashburn Ice Cream Company to be in their town during the period of 1940's. Please note the prices on the wall. The lower left-hand corner appears to be taken up with a folded banner that announced the opening of the store. The identity of the smiling man in the background is not yet known.
Date: unknown

[Construction of the Malsby Dairy]

Description: Construction of the Malsby Dairy is shown here, going on apace. Steel girders are being put in place, presumably to support a future roof. It was located at 300 SE 1st Street. Construction began (it is conjectured) in the late 1940's. The building once housed a newspaper (in the 1960's) called "The Advance", and then the "Mineral Wells Index." The "Index" still [2007] occupies the building. Please note that only half of the men in the picture are shown wearing hard hats. Please note also the derrick mounted on the back of a truck. A hand-written legend on the photograph reads: "Malsby Creamery"
Date: unknown

[Taken From North Oak]

Description: This information is printed on the back of photograph: "Taken from the North Oak and N. E. 3rd. Street looking North May 28, 1975 by A.F. Weaver." Businesses that are visible in the photograph are, in order: The Crazy Water Hotel, Community Aerial Cable Company, Bennett's Office Supply and The Grand Theater.
Date: May 28, 1975