Boyce Ditto Public Library - 403 Matching Results

Search Results

[Photograph of Governor John Connally]
Photograph of Governor of Texas John Connally. Mr. Connally is wearing a dark suit and tie, and a window with Venetian blinds is visible in the out-of-focus background. On the back of the photograph are a stamp giving the Boyce-Ditto Public Library address and handwritten notes, including one that identifies the photo's subject.
[Photograph of Retired General Hamilton H. Howze]
Photograph of retired US Army General and Vice President of product planning at Bell Helicopter Company, Hamilton H. Howze. Mr. Howze is wearing a dark suit and tie, and is in front of a light-colored backdrop. On the back of the photograph, there is a handwritten note identifying the photo's subject and a stamp giving the Boyce-Ditto Public Library's address.
[Headshot Walter Cronkite]
Photograph of American broadcast journalist Walter Cronkite. In this head-shot, Mr. Cronkite wears a medium colored suit and a tie. On the back of the photograph is an ink stamp giving the Boyce-Ditto Public Library address.
[Photograph of Walter Cronkite]
Head-shot of CBS newsman Walter Cronkite. Mr. Cronkite is wearing a suit with a striped tie, and is sitting in front of a light-colored background. On the back of the photograph are a stamp giving the Boyce-Ditto Public Library's address and handwritten notes, including one identifying the photo's subject.
[Photograph of L. J. Varnell, Jr., Mayor of Mineral Wells]
Photograph of L. J. Varnell, Jr., Mayor of Mineral Wells. Mr. Varnell is wearing a dark suit and tie and standing or sitting against a light backdrop. On the back of the photograph are a stamp giving the Boyce-Ditto Public Library address and handwritten notes, including one that identifies the photo's subject, and a stamp with the photographer's information.
[Photograph of U.S. Representative Jim Wright]
Head-shot of US Representative Jim Wright from the shoulders up. The Congressman is wearing a white shirt and a dark-colored tie. On the back of the photograph are a stamp giving the Boyce-Ditto Public Library address and handwritten notes.
[Photograph of Senator John G. Tower]
Head-shot of US Senator John G. Tower, against a light-colored background. The Senator is wearing a light-colored suit and a patterned tie. On the back of the photograph are a stamp giving the Boyce-Ditto Public Library address and handwritten notes, including one identifying the photo's subject.
[Photograph of U.S. Representative Omar Burleson]
Photograph of US Representative for the 17th District of Texas, Omar Burleson. Mr. Burleson is sitting at a desk in an office, holding a stack of papers. Behind Mr. Burleson, a bookcase, an American flag are visible, and, through the window behind the desk, the Capitol building is also visible.
[Photograph of Eric Sevareid]
Head-shot of CBS newsman Eric Sevareid. Mr. Sevareid is wearing a suit with a dark tie and a dark pocket-square. He is sitting in front of a light-colored background. On the back of the photograph are a stamp giving the Boyce-Ditto Public Library's address and handwritten notes, including one that identifies the photo's subject.
[Photograph of Chet Huntley]
Photograph of Chet Huntley from NBC News, wearing a light-colored suit and a dark, striped tie. The photograph is signed by Mr. Huntley, in the bottom left corner. On the back of the photograph are handwritten notes and a stamp giving the Boyce-Ditto Public Library's address.
[Photograph of Igor I. Siorsky]
Photograph of Igor I. Sikorsky. Mr. Sikorsky is wearing a suit with an ID name clip hanging from his left-breast pocket. He's holding a model airplane in his right hand (his left arm is out of shot), and there are out-of-focus frames on the wall behind him. On the back of the photograph is a stamp giving the Boyce-Ditto Public Library address, handwritten notes, and a sticker identifying the photo's subject.
[Photograph of Senator Tom Creighton]
Head-shot of Texas Senator Tom Creighton. Mr. Creighton is wearing a dark suit and tie, and half of his face is partially shadowed. The backdrop is dark and out-of-focus. On the back of the photograph are handwritten notes and two stamps: one giving the Boyce-Ditto Public Library's address and the other giving the photo printer's information.
[Photograph of Chet Huntley]
Photograph of Chet Huntley from NBC News, wearing a light-colored suit and a dark, striped tie. The photograph is signed by Mr. Huntley, in the bottom left corner. On the back of the photograph is a handwritten note reading, "70%," a stamp giving the Boyce-Ditto Public Library's address, and a circular yellow stain. There's also a portion of typewritten text on the stain, but the rest of the text has been torn off.
[Photograph of Frank Meszar]
Portrait of Brigadier General Frank Meszar, visible from the chest up. Meszar is in uniform; his emblems, awards, and colors are visible. On the back of the photograph are handwritten notes and a stamp giving the Boyce-Ditto Public Library address.
Mineral Wells Sanitorium
An early edition of the Mineral wells "Index" states that two doctors have leased this building, but further details are not as yet [2014] forthcoming.
[A View of the Baker Hotel]
Shown here is yet another view of the Baker Hotel in its days of glory.
[A View of Mineral Wells]
A set of buildings is shown here. The only buildings that have been identified with confidence are the Crazy Water Hotel, and the Nazareth Hospital, both at the right. The Baker occupies a small position on the extreme right.
[The Convention Hall and its Surroundings]
Shown here is the back side of the convention hall. The picture antedates its demolition. The surrounding buildings have not yet [2014] been identified.
A Hazy View of Mineral Wells
Photograph of the city of Mineral Wells, Texas, taken from a hill looking down at the buildings.
[View from NW Mountain looking East]
View from NW mountain looking East. The North Oak Community center is visible.
[Construction of the Malsby Dairy]
Construction of the Malsby Dairy is shown here, going on apace. Steel girders are being put in place, presumably to support a future roof. It was located at 300 SE 1st Street. Construction began (it is conjectured) in the late 1940's. The building once housed a newspaper (in the 1960's) called "The Advance", and then the "Mineral Wells Index." The "Index" still [2007] occupies the building. Please note that only half of the men in the picture are shown wearing hard hats. Please note also the derrick mounted on the back of a truck. A hand-written legend on the photograph reads: "Malsby Creamery"
[First Country Club]
Illustrated here is a picture of the first Mineral Wells Golf country club, taken about 1950. The picture shows it on the shore of a lake that was located about three miles east of Mineral Wells. Further information is,sadly,lacking.
[Milling's Sanitarium and Water Well ]
The gazebo-like structure shown in the picture protects a water pump in front of the Milling Sanitarium. The sanitarium was built about 1929 on what was then the 2500 block of Southeast 6th Avenue. It later became the Irvine Sanitarium. The Veterans of Foreign Wars (Post 2399) occupies the building as of 2010. The fate of the structure shown here is unknown.
[The Convention Hall and Its Surroundings]
This picture shows the quondam Convention Hall in it glory days after its erection in 1925, and before its demolition in 1976. A house in the (possibly)the Colonial Revival style is visible. Another large house on a hill appears to be in the Neoclassical style.
[Another View of Mineral Wells]
This picture shows several different styles of house prominent in Mineral Wells, ranging from Colonial Revival (center) Queen Anne (upper tier, right), to Classical Revival (Upper tier, center). The Convention Hall is barely visible in the lower left corner, so the picture clearly antedates its demolition.
[The Building of Camp Wolters]
An automobile--presumably of the late 1930's--is parked by a building in the process of being built. Workmen may be seen at the site. A legend under the original reads: "Buildings seem to literally spring from the earth when the construction of the then Camp Wolters began in November, 1940. The camp was completed in less than four months and became the nation's largest infantry Replacement Training Center. Construction cost was approximately $14,200,000."
Malsby Dairy Construction
The building of the Malsby Dairy.
[The Demolition of the Convention Hall: Interior, 3 of 5]
Shown here is a picture of an advanced state of the demolition of the convention hall. The remains of the main floor in the background sag forlornly under a load of rubble.
[Yet Another View of Mineral Wells]
The roofs of various houses are clearly seen in this photograph. The Baker Hotel obtrudes at the extreme left.
[The Water Tower]
A fine view of a water tower in Mineral is shown here.
[The Interior of The First National Bank]
This picture shows the interior of the First National Bank around the year 1930. It was located at the corner of NE 1st Avenue and Hubbard Street. The picture may be found in in A.F. Weaver's "TIME WAS in Mineral Wells" on page 146.
[The Presbyterian Church: First Building]
The first Presbyterian Church building at NW 4th Avenue and Second Street is shown here, with a gentleman in early 20th-century clothes standing in front of it. The great fire of 1908 destroyed it. The building was replaced (at the same site) with another, stone church, which was itself demolished and replaced by a third structure that remains to this day [2011] at the same address. Pictures of both buildings occur in A.F. Weaver's book on page 143. Detailed pictures of the second building may be found in this collection.
The Original Baptist Church Building at SW 4th Avenue
Shown here is the first building, to be located at 100 SW 4th Avenue, of the First Baptist Church. The third building of that name is still at this same site. Further details about this edifice are not yet [2012] available.
Inside a Howard Department Store
This picture shows the interior of an A.L. Howard business that was located where the Baker Hotel stands today [2012]. Howard himself is shown standing behind the umbrella case. Please observe the clerk in the background. He is wearing a jacket. The lady in the mid-foreground is equivalently dressed. Please observe also the apparent dimness of the interior. The photograph apparently dates from the first quarter of the twentieth century.
[The Star House]
The Star House was built by Mr. and Mrs. J.J. Ramsey about 1900, and contained 34 rooms. Copy around the picture (unfortunately not visible here) lists the rates at $1.25 per day, or $7 to $8 per week. A.F. Weaver (in "TIME WAS in Mineral Wells...") locates this hotel at "315 Coke Street" [sic], but Polk's Directory for 1909, 1920 and 1927 list no such person as "J.J. Ramsey", or a "Star House" located at the address given by Weaver. The 1909 Polk's Directory lists a "Star House" at 209 Elm Street (NW 2nd Avenue), with the proprietor named as "R. L. Neal."
[First National Bank]
Shown here is the Teller's wicket in the original First National Bank. It was located at the corner of Throckmorton and Mesquite streets (Later: SE. 1st Avenue and SE 1st Streets). The identities of the people pictured are as yet [2014] unknown. The picture appears in "Time Was in Mineral Wells" on page 1146.
The Fairfield Hotel
The Fairfield Inn, at 814 North Oak Street, was built by Colonel Walter H. Boykin. The hotel was built into the side of East Mountain facing West, and it is said each floor had a ground level entrance. The date of construction of the hotel is not known, but Colonel Boykin built himself a home at 1301 SE 4th Avenue in 1904.
The Thatch
This photograph presents a conundrum. Advertising copy from around the picture relates that The Thatch was operated by Mrs. W. G. Wright. The building was said to be located "Within one block of the famous Gibson and Sangcura pavilions" (the 700 block of NW 2nd Avenue and the 800 block of NW 2nd Avenue, respectively). Polk's Directory for 1909 fails to record The Thatch, or Mrs. Wright, as also fail the directories for 1920, 1924, and 1927. No mention of the Thatch appears in A.F. Weaver's "Time was in Mineral Wells...." The unpaved roads in front of the hotel suggest that the picture was taken before 1914. Copy around the picture (not visible here) remark that the building was "Erected two years ago", but no firm date may be deduced from that information.
[An Unknown Boarding House]
A large house (or possibly a hotel) is shown here. The original photograph is not in good condition. A black man (in shirtsleeves) may be seen on the first floor, next to a seated black lady. Two black(?) men, more formally dressed, stand on the second floor. There is no indication of the identity of the building. The presumed street in the front does not appear to be paved.
Howard's Hardware Store 1903
A printed legend on the top of the photograph reads: "Howard Hardward [sic] 1903" Please note the crowded aisles of miscellaneous articles. Also, please notice the two counters (equipped with clerks in shirt-sleeves) and the bridge above and between them that contains further articles. A colophon at the bottom of the picture indicates that "Dan W. Evans, Photo. of Mineral Wells" took the picture.
[The Demolition of the Convention Hall, 5 of 5]
The Convention Hall met its end in 1979--after forty-five years of use. The exact location of this photograph in relation to the interior of the convention hall remains unknown. The picture shows two Roman arches, which must have been stress-relieving as well as serving as portals of access to various parts of the basement. The ends of two girders, which must have helped support the floor above them, are clearly visible above the nearer arch.
Baker Hotel Swimming Pool
No Description Available.
[The Baker Hotel at Night]
This picture shows the Baker--in its great days--at night. Legend has it that a female guest jumped to her death. Her ghost is supposed to be resident in the building, but substantial evidence for the existence of the ghost remains to this date [2014] lacking. A legend on the front of the photograph states that it was colorized by A. F. Weaver in 1940.
[John Mathiews Inspects a Well]
John Mathews, owner of the Crazy Hotel, inspects a Crazy Water well under the sidewalk of the northwest corner of the present [2012] Crazy Hotel. The photograph was taken in 1974.It is featured in "Time Was in Mineral Wells" on page 29.
[The Baker Hotel and the First Methodist Church]
This picture, showing Baker Hotel and the First Methodist Church, was taken approximately in 1938. The church, pictured here, shows a later second story to the building on the side of the church proper. It is known to be the second Methodist church on the site. Older photographs of its predecessor are at this time [2014] lacking.
[A Buffet Table]
A buffet table, presumably in the Baker Hotel, is shown ready for guests (who are absent) to use it. Its opulence would reflect the quality of the hotel. The fact that the photograph is in color suggests that it was taken in the late twentieth century. The exact location of this buffet table is [2014] unknown. An ice sculpture of a sleigh and reindeer suggests a Christmas occasion. Further details are lacking.
[Baker Hotel Grounds' View]
Here is a view of Baker Hotel from across its grounds. Note: There are umbrellas around swimming pool, but the swimming pool itself is out of view. Foliage includes Canna flowers and cedar trees. An unidentified woman and child are in foreground. The Baker Hotel had an ill-starred opening, as it occurred only weeks after the infamous stock market crash of 1929. The marketing of Crazy Crystals had been blamed for the distress, because fewer people needed to make the trek to Mineral Wells for the waters. They could produce the same thing in their own homes. However, no proof of that assertion has been found, and the general malaise of the Great Depression probably should be blamed. The owners of the Baker Hotel filed for bankruptcy In 1932. On April 30, 1963, Earl Baker formally closed the hotel. The property went under the hammer that August. The rest is history.
[The Baker Hotel Roof Garden]
This photograph is identified as "Baker Hotel Roof Garden February 1999." Two chandeliers are still in place on the ceiling, but the missing floor boards, the peeling paint, and the deserted condition of the room are indicative of the sad condition of a once beautiful ballroom. A ballroom on the twelfth floor was titled "The Cloud Room" by virtue of the clouds painted on its ceiling. A picture of it has yet [2014] to be found.
Jack Amlung
The band in this photograph is identified as "Jack Amlung." It consists of nine players, including its leader. The instruments visible are: A sousaphone; two (?)pianos; a violin; an alto saxophone; a clarinet, a guitar, a bass viol; percussion. C[letus] Jack Amlung was born in Illinois in 1907. He married Sarah Finesilver in Comal, Texas in 1927; he died in Dallas in 1978, where he had been resident for the previous 17 years.
[Men Around A Buffet Table]
Five men and one woman stand around a buffet table. Several of the men wear foil-covered paper derby-style hats, which indicates a festivity (probably St. Patrick's Day) of some sort. In the background, a man plays an alto saxophone; another one, a guitar; a third, a bass viol. The envelope containing this picture identifies the second man from left as "Orval Shore", and the third man from left as "Paul Schneider."