Boyce Ditto Public Library - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

The Thatch

Description: No Description Available.
Date: unknown

The Convention Hall and Its Surroundings

Description: This picture shows the quondam Convention Hall in it glory days after its erection in 1925, and before its demolition in 1976. A house in the (possibly)the Colonial Revival style is visible. Another large house on a hill appears to be in the Neoclassical style.
Date: unknown

[The Building of Camp Wolters]

Description: An automobile--presumably of the late 1930's--is parked by a building in the process of being built. Workmen may be seen at the site. A legend under the original reads: "Buildings seem to literally spring from the earth when the construction of the then Camp Wolters began in November, 1940. The camp was completed in less than four months and became the nation's largest infantry Replacement Training Center. Construction cost was approximately $14,200,000."
Date: 1940

[Milling's Sanitarium and Water Well ]

Description: The gazebo-like structure shown in the picture protects a water pump in front of the Milling Sanitarium. The sanitarium was built about 1929 on what was then the 2500 block of SE Sixth Avenue. It later became the Irvine Sanitarium. The Veterans of Foreign Wars (Post 2399) occupies the building as of 2010. The fate of the structure shown here is unknown.
Date: 1920?/1929?

Mineral Wells Sanitorium

Description: An early edition of the Mineral wells "Index" states that two doctors have leased this building, but further details are not as yet [2014] forthcoming.
Date: unknown

[Another View of Mineral Wells]

Description: This picture shows several different styles of house prominent in Mineral Wells, ranging from Colonial Revival (center) Queen Anne (upper tier, right), to Classical Revival (Upper tier, center). The Convention Hall is barely visible in the lower left corner, so the picture clearly antedates its demolition.
Date: unknown

[A View of Mineral Wells]

Description: A set of buildings is shown here. The only buildings that have been identified with confidence are the Crazy Water Hotel, and the Nazareth Hospital, both at the right. The Baker occupies a small position on the extreme right.
Date: unknown

[The Demolition of the Convention Hall, 5 of 5]

Description: The Convention Hall met its end in 1979--after forty-five years of use. The exact location of this photograph in relation to the interior of the convention hall remains unknown. The picture shows two Roman arches, which must have been stress-relieving as well as serving as portals of access to various parts of the basement. The ends of two girders, which must have helped support the floor above them, are clearly visible above the nearer arch.
Date: unknown