Boyce Ditto Public Library - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

[First State Bank and The Gentlemen's Closet]

Description: This photograph has been tentatively dated to the 1980's. Notice the mailbox at the corner--a rarity in Mineral Wells at the present [2013] time. The street appears to be devoid of markings, but traffic bumps are visible--a provision no longer [2013] in effect for this street. The picture shows the First State Bank, which began business at the southwest corner of the 100 block of East Hubbard with a drive-in teller and parking lot at the back of the bank. The First State Bank president was Leon Cowan; vice-presidents were Tony Street and Leon Groves. The First State Bank occupied the northeast corner of N. Oak Avenue and E. Hubbard Streets after The City National Bank (now First Financial Bank) moved from here to its current [2008] location at 1900 W. Hubbard Street. First State Bank is now [2008] located at 101 SE 1st Avenue. The building now [2013] houses the offices for the Mineral Wells Hospice. The Gentleman's Closet, next door, was a man's haberdashery. It was a remodeled store that had been occupied by a number of previous businesses. It is presently [2013] vacant.
Date: 1989?
Item Type: Photograph

[Cole's House of Flowers]

Description: Cole's House of Flowers was built on this location in 1980, after a fire had destroyed the Davidson Hardware and the Damron Hotel buildings in 1975.
Date: September 1988
Item Type: Photograph

[A Back View of Businesses on the West Side of 100 Block and S. Oak]

Description: Businesses are shown here at the southwest corner of West Hubbard Street and South Oak Avenue: The location of the original Colonial Hotel. (It was originally built in 1906 by J.T. Holt for his second wife who would not live in the country, and it was renamed the Damron Hotel about 1917 when Agnew and Bessie Damron traded a ranch for it. The hotel burned in 1975.) The small white building in the left middle foreground is a back view of Cole's House of Flowers (where Davidson's Hardware also burned in the Damron Hotel fire), next to it is Hill's Style Shoppe and Mineral Wells Office Supply. The vacant lot in the foreground is the location of the former Damron hotel. At the far left edge of the picture, to the east and across Oak Avenue, is Lynch Plaza which was built on the site of the former Oxford Hotel, that burned in 1983, along with the First National Bank. Lynch Plaza is named for J.A. Lynch, Mineral Wells' founder. who had a well drilled at this location in 1880, and discovered the source of mineral water that made Mineral Wells the most popular health spa in the nation at the turn of the twentieth century. A Texas Historical Commission Marker commemorating the discovery-well is embedded in a brick wall surrounding the parking lot of Lynch Plaza. Obscurely in middle distance, at the right edge of the picture, south and across SW 1st Street, are the offices of the Palo Pinto County Abstract Company and those of the City of Mineral Wells.
Date: 1988?
Item Type: Photograph

[The 100 Block of West Hubbard]

Description: This picture is an illustration of the south side of the 100 block of West Hubbard Street, looking southeast. The north side (and back view) of Cole's Florist and Hill's Style Shop can be seen at the center of the picture. Lynch Plaza, the darker brick building, is in the left middle background. Oak Avenue (U.S. Highway 281) extends north-south between Cole's House of Flowers and Lynch Plaza. Cole's occupies the site of the former Davidson Hardware, which burned along with the Damron Hotel in 1975. Lynch Plaza, the site of the mineral-water discovery well, was built on the site where the former Oxford Hotel burned in 1983. The parking lot seen in the right foreground of the picture was the site of the Damron Hotel.
Date: September 1988
Item Type: Photograph

[Lynch Plaza 3 of 3]

Description: Lynch Plaza, in the center of this picture, is located on the corner of North Oak and East Hubbard Streets. This structure, originally called the Firstron Building, replaced the First National Bank at this location. The bank was located in the northwest corner of the Oxford Hotel. The hotel building, including the bank, was destroyed by fire in 1983.
Date: September 1988
Item Type: Photograph

[The Mineral Wells Savings and Loan--and Lynch Plaza Parking Lot]

Description: The Mineral Wells Savings and Loan was once located at 101 SE 1st Avenue. The Savings and Loan building, in this 1988 view (looking south down SE 1st Avenue), is in the left foreground on the southeast corner of Hubbard and 1st Avenue. Across SE 1st Avenue (to the right and west of the Savings and Loan) is the parking lot for Lynch Plaza. In the background, the next street south is SE 1st Street. The Dollar General store occupies the former Piggly Wiggly grocery store on the southeast corner of this next block (near the center of the picture), where Mineral Wells' first Post Office once stood. The Savings and Loan building was eventually torn down, and the First State Bank is now [2008] at this location.
Date: 1988
Item Type: Photograph

[The First Presbyterian Church]

Description: Shown here is the south side of the third First Presbyterian Church building, at 300 NW 4th Ave., and the second one at this site. Due to structural damage to the foundation, the building was torn down during the 1980's and replaced with the fourth First Presbyterian Church building - the third at this location. The building reflects an eclectic architecture, principally in Neo-classic style.
Date: 1980
Item Type: Photograph

[The East Side of the (Third) First Presbyterian Church Building]

Description: This picture shows the back (east) side of the third First Presbyterian Church of Mineral Wells, Texas. It features an arched window, and (presumably) the dedicatory cornerstone. Due to structural damage, this building was torn down in the 1980's, and replaced with the fourth First Presbyterian Church-- the third building at 300 NW 4th Avenue.
Date: 1980
Creator: A. F. Weaver
Item Type: Photograph

[Pediment on the Second Building of the First Presbyterian Church]

Description: This photograph shows the pediment of the south-west entrance to the First Presbyterian Church (This is its third building) at 300 NW 4th Avenue. The acanthus ornaments on top of the pediment (in Classical times, a guard against dripping rain), have no real function. The dentils that line the interior of the pediment are not Classical, nor are the capitals of of the pillars.
Date: 1980
Item Type: Photograph

[First Presbyterian Church -- 9 of 13: South Side]

Description: This photograph is the ninth in a series of pictures showing architectural details of the Presbyterian Church. This picture is a view of the south side of the church, including, at left, the main entrance at southwest corner of building.
Date: 1980
Creator: A. F. Weaver
Item Type: Photograph

[First Presbyterian Church - 2 of 13: SW Corner]

Description: This picture is the second in a series about the First Presbyterian Church, showing the juncture of the south side of the building and the main entrance, which was at the southwest corner of the building (left in the photograph.)
Date: 1980
Creator: A. F. Weaver
Item Type: Photograph

[St. Mark's Lutheran Church - 2 of 18: Rear View]

Description: A view of the south-east rear of St. Mark Lutheran Church, 2301 SE 25th Avenue, Mineral Wells, Texas, illustrates a detail of the structure: East of the sanctuary, the Community Center and a children's playground, with equipment.
Date: 1980
Creator: A. F. Weaver
Item Type: Photograph