Boyce Ditto Public Library - 878 Matching Results

Search Results

[Construction of the Malsby Dairy]

Description: Construction of the Malsby Dairy is shown here, going on apace. Steel girders are being put in place, presumably to support a future roof. It was located at 300 SE 1st Street. Construction began (it is conjectured) in the late 1940's. The building once housed a newspaper (in the 1960's) called "The Advance", and then the "Mineral Wells Index." The "Index" still [2007] occupies the building. Please note that only half of the men in the picture are shown wearing hard hats. Please note also the derrick mounted on the back of a truck. A hand-written legend on the photograph reads: "Malsby Creamery"
Date: unknown

[First Country Club]

Description: Illustrated here is a picture of the first Mineral Wells Golf country club, taken about 1950. The picture shows it on the shore of a lake that was located about three miles east of Mineral Wells. Further information is,sadly,lacking.
Date: unknown

[Milling's Sanitarium and Water Well ]

Description: The gazebo-like structure shown in the picture protects a water pump in front of the Milling Sanitarium. The sanitarium was built about 1929 on what was then the 2500 block of Southeast 6th Avenue. It later became the Irvine Sanitarium. The Veterans of Foreign Wars (Post 2399) occupies the building as of 2010. The fate of the structure shown here is unknown.
Date: 1920?/1929?

[The Convention Hall and Its Surroundings]

Description: This picture shows the quondam Convention Hall in it glory days after its erection in 1925, and before its demolition in 1976. A house in the (possibly)the Colonial Revival style is visible. Another large house on a hill appears to be in the Neoclassical style.
Date: unknown

Mineral Wells Sanitarium

Description: The Mineral Wells Sanitarium was located at 315 NW 1st Avenue. It was built by Mssrs. Blake Barber and H. M. Coleman, who were fashioning the "First building of this magnitude erected at Mineral Wells." It was listed in 1905 as being leased by Doctors J.M. Massie, and R. G. Braswell. It was later owned and operated by B.H. Milling before he built the Milling Sanitarium. The building burned in June of 1907, (as reported by the El Paso Daily Times in July 1907) with a loss estimated at $40,000. The inmates were all rescued--some narrowly. The fire started at the skating rink of the Palace Amusement Company, (a building valued at $5,000) which had just been finished, but not opened to the public. The Mineral Wells Bath House (which was empty at the time) was also a total loss, as was the Lithia Pavilion. Part of the Wann Hotel was destroyed along with thirty small frame structures. The total loss will be about $100,000 (as the same newspaper reports it). It was later torn down and replaced by Willimann's Pharmacy. The area was vacant before the sanitarium was built. Donkeys were pastured on it, but the wind brought notice of them to the guests in the Crazy Hotel, and they were forcibly removed. Currently [2010], the Woodsmen of the World club resides at this location.
Date: unknown

[Another View of Mineral Wells]

Description: This picture shows several different styles of house prominent in Mineral Wells, ranging from Colonial Revival (center) Queen Anne (upper tier, right), to Classical Revival (Upper tier, center). The Convention Hall is barely visible in the lower left corner, so the picture clearly antedates its demolition.
Date: unknown

Crazy Well at Mineral Wells, Texas

Description: Shown here is the Crazy Well drinking pavilion, as it appeared around 1908, looking at the North and East (back) sides, after remodeling and the removal of a residence. The house was removed still stands at 715 NW 1st Avenue. The photograph was taken across Oak Avenue. Note the top of the first Texas Carlsbad Well in the background.
Date: 1908

[The Building of Camp Wolters]

Description: An automobile--presumably of the late 1930's--is parked by a building in the process of being built. Workmen may be seen at the site. A legend under the original reads: "Buildings seem to literally spring from the earth when the construction of the then Camp Wolters began in November, 1940. The camp was completed in less than four months and became the nation's largest infantry Replacement Training Center. Construction cost was approximately $14,200,000."
Date: 1940

The Carlisle House, Mineral Wells Texas

Description: The Carlisle House was once located at 316 NW 3rd Avenue, and NW 4th Street. It filled a quarter of the block, and, with sixty rooms, was one of the largest hotels in Mineral Wells. It owned and managed by Mr. and Mrs. Alexander Emmett Carlisle. Mr. Carlisle died in 1911, but his widow continued to manage the hotel. The hotel met its doom in a fire that consumed six hotels and seven dwellings during its rampage. The conflagration was so thorough that the location was still empty in 1921. The Nazareth Hospital as eventually built in this location. The architecture is possibly best described as an eclectic mix of Queen Anne and Prairie styles, the latter perhaps reflecting additions to the original building. [For further details, please see the picture labeled "Carlisle House, Mineral Wells, Texas."]
Date: unknown

[The Foster House]

Description: This picture depicts a hotel--done in Queen Anne style (Spindle-work sub-type). Please note the unusual two-story wraparound porch, also with spindle-work. It appears to have been excerpted from a fragment of advertising copy that gives the name of the building as "The Foster", and extols the owner (Mr. T[homas] J[efferson] Foster) as "...an old hotel hand of large acquaintance and wide experience, who has studied the wants and needs of his guests[,] and loses no opportunity of making them comfortable." Another picture (this from the June 5, 1903 "Daily Index") remarks that the hotel was opened in 1902, and that it is "[L]ocated just right to catch the trade--right among the wells and bath houses--as int invalid desires invariably desires to be centrally located as possible." Rates are given at $2 per day, and $12 per week. A barely-legible colophon, appearing to read "FONE" appears in the lower left-hand corner.
Date: 1910?

Crazy Water and Crystals Display

Description: As the caption reads, a display of Crazy Water and Crazy Crystals in the front entrance of the plant that manufactured them is illustrated here.
Date: unknown

[A Crazy Water "Oxidine" Bottle Label]

Description: A bottle label for Oxidine (apparently a medication for malaria), manufactured by the Crazy Water Company, with directions for use, is illustrated here.
Date: unknown

[Two Old-Time Stores]

Description: This picture appears to show two stores that stand cheek-by-jowl. A saddlery on the far left shares space with a furniture storethat also sold cofins. The sign over the stores combines their functions in a way that would--under other circumstances--seem comical. The building itself was located at the corner of SE 1st, and South Oak Streets. A note on the photograph states that it was south of the MARTIN BUILDING. It was once the McBrayer-Armstrong Grocery, then later the Nash Hardware store. The location of Lattner eventually became the Buy-Rite store [116 South Oak Avenue, at the corner of SE 1st Street, until some time in the early 1980's]. The road is unpaved, there is no evidence of lighting--except for the lamp mounted on a post at the front of the building. The horse-drawn hearse (without its horse or plumes) suggests that although it was in front of the stores, it was not at the time in use. The picture, therefore, dates from the end of the 19th century--or the earliest 20th century.
Date: unknown

[An Early View of Mesquite Street]

Description: This picture shows the D.M. Howard Block, on the lower end of Mesquite Street [2011], the intersection of Hubbard and SE 1st streets), facing west. The principal D.M. Howard building (farthest to the left in the photograph) survived to house various furniture establishments until 1975, when it was demolished. The three subsidiary buildings had been removed earlier. A legend on the base of the original photograph reads: "LOWER END OF MESQUITE STREET--Photo by McClure". Please note the absence of automobiles, the complete lack of paving, and the large traveling-bonnet worn by the lady in the foreground. The telegraph pole in the foreground appears to have been hand-hewn. The unpaved road supplies corroborating evidence that the photograph was taken before 1914. The identity of McClure, however, remains unknown. This picture appears in A.F. Weaver's "TIME WAS in Mineral Wells...." on page 122.
Date: unknown

[The Demolition of the Convention Hall, 5 of 5]

Description: The Convention Hall met its end in 1979--after forty-five years of use. The exact location of this photograph in relation to the interior of the convention hall remains unknown. The picture shows two Roman arches, which must have been stress-relieving as well as serving as portals of access to various parts of the basement. The ends of two girders, which must have helped support the floor above them, are clearly visible above the nearer arch.
Date: unknown

[A Crazy Hotel Brochure]

Description: This photograph illustrates a fold-out brochure of the Crazy Hotel with various scenic views of things to see and do around the city, along with different modes of transportation to and from Mineral Wells.
Date: 1930?

Central Christian Church

Description: Shown here is Central Christian Church: NW 1st Street. This picture is taken from a collage that illustrates several [Protestant] churches in Mineral Wells.
Date: unknown

City Meat Market

Description: The City Meat Market was located south of the Oxford Hotel. It faced SE 1st Street, where the entrance to the First National (Bank?) was located. Please observe the horse-drawn wagon at the right of the photograph. Modern [2016] viewers might be appalled at the sight of sides of meat hanging in the open air; but when this photograph was taken, it was standard procedure. The gentleman holding the carcasses of poultry probably does so only for the sake of the picture. The clean aprons of all the men associated with the store were probably also donned only for the picture. Otherwise, they would be heavily blood-stained. This building later housed Roger's Army Store. Information about it was taken from A. F. Weaver's book "TIME WAS in Mineral Wells", second edition, page 121.
Date: unknown

The Crazy Well Water Company

Description: This picture shows a photograph of two pages from a water-bottle-shaped brochure about Mineral Wells. The "Appendix" referred to on the verso folio refers to a series of burlesques printed on previous--unseen--pages. Recto describes the four types of the water and the various ailments that they are expected to cure. The brochure notes that number four water is purgative, and should be used in moderation, but at frequent intervals.
Date: 1920?

[ A Crazy Hotel Pamphlet]

Description: This is a photograph of a Crazy Water Hotel Pamphlet, stating what entertainments could be found in the hotel, and what millions of others have done. The manager at the time was A. H. Hoaldridge.
Date: 1930?

Dry Goods--W.H.H.Hightower

Description: This picture shows what is conjectured to be a business from either the latest nineteenth, or the earliest twentieth centuries. There appears to be no display window nor door to it, only two posts to hold up the story above. The second story appears to be a clapboard false-front, as the windows and balconet seem only to be painted. Three men stand stiffly inside, one of them by what appears to be a display of straw hats--which perhaps dates the picture to the end of the nineteenth or beginning of the twentieth century. The second story bears the legend DRY GOODS/ BOOTS SHOES HATS &c. GENTS FURNISHING DRESS GOODS &c. W.H. HIGHTOWER. Three flags appear to adorn the front. A holograph on the back reads: "W.H. Hightower Grandfather of Mrs. Lyday & Grady & Rayford Hightower merchant from Georgia first settled in Johnson Co. near Cleburne located near Lattners [sic]"
Date: unknown