Boyce Ditto Public Library - 1,381 Matching Results

Search Results

[The Woodmen of the World - 1911]

Description: The picture was taken in 1911 during the Woodmen of the World convention. It shows the backside of the Crazy Flats, before the first Crazy Hotel sections were constructed. The buildings in the background are the four wings of the Crazy Well Water Company, "The Crazy Flats," where rooms for rent were also available. The first Crazy Hotel was built the following year, 1912, on the location where this convention gathering is pictured.
Date: October 30, 2006

[The Hotel Drug Store]

Description: Pete McCleskey (Left) with employee "Soda jerks" Don McGowan, Alvin Lee, Gentry Johnson and Robert Beyer, stand at the soda fountain of McCleskey's Hotel Drug in 1940. The drug store was located off the lobby in the east side of Mineral Wells' Crazy Hotel.
Date: unknown

[The Woodmen of the World -- 1905]

Description: Mineral Wells was a popular convention city in its heyday. This photograph is part of the group attending a convention of the Woodmen of the World in Mineral Wells. The picture was taken around 1905 at the Texas Carlsbad Well, once located at 415 NW 1st Avenue.
Date: October 30, 2006

[J. W. (Doon) Deberry and His Well machine]

Description: Drilling of the Vichy Well was done by J.W. "Doon" Deberry in the 600 block of North Oak Street. The Vichy Well Natatorium, later the Beach, and still later the Standard Well, was located across N. Oak Avenue from the Hexagon House Hotel, which can be seen at the right edge of the photograph. The wooden building on the left, with the false arcades, has not yet been identified. The Standard Pavilion boasted a variety of attractions including a swimming pool, movie theater, bowling alley, and dance floor. It was torn down during World War II, and replaced by a USO Canteen to serve the soldiers training at local Camp Wolters. At the end of the War, the USO was given to the City and utilized as a Community Center and later Senior Center.
Date: unknown

Nazareth Hospital 25th Anniversary 1931-1956

Description: We have here a copy of the cover of a booklet marking the 25th anniversary (1931 - 1956) of Mineral Well's Nazareth Hospital. The brochure contains pictures of the religious, medical, nursing and administrative staff, with interior scenes of departments, patients and equipment. The Mineral Wells Clinic was built soon after the current Crazy Hotel opened in 1927 to replace the Crazy Flats that burned in 1925. In 1931, the Holy Sisters of the Nazareth purchased the 46-bed facility for $135,000 and moved into the top floor of the building to live and minister to the patients. The staff began with a staff of six Sisters, one R.N., a janitor, and twelve doctors. They admitted 304 patients, of which 30% were paying patients, 23% were only partial payers, and 47% were charity cases. Eight were neonates. The staff expanded in 1939 to thirteen Sisters, (of which two were R.N.'s, and another was an anesthetist) four Graduate R.N.'s, two Nurses' Aides, a male nurse, a janitor and two handy-men. They had admitted 649 patients, of which 66 were neonates. 53 3/4% paid their way, 17% part-paid, and 29% were charity cases. The hospital ran on three 8-hour shifts twenty-fours a day and seven days a week. All hospital equipment (and the hospital linens) were used three times as long as usual, because of their expense. A Women's Auxiliary was established in 1931 to render all possible assistance to the running of the hospital--especially in defraying the cost of patients who couldn't pay their way.. The hospital was closed in the mid-sixties, and temporarily moved to the Crazy Hotel until the present [2009] hospital was built.
Date: 1956

PALOCADE Palo Pinto County

Description: Palo Pinto County celebrated 100 years of existence in 1957. Shown here is a picture of the cover of the official program of the pageant that commemorated this milestone in the county's history. Palo Pinto County began with its formation by act of the Texas legislature in 1856, and its subsequent organization in 1857. As part of the year-long centennial observance, a pageant noting significant events in the county's past was presented at the local football stadium. The program itself contains 28 pages of tidbits of history about people, places and events in the county's heritage, along with a schedule of events organized by the official Centennial Committee.
Date: 1957

[Lake Mineral Wells]

Description: Rock Creek in Parker County was dammed up in 1919 to form Lake Mineral Wells, the third lake built as a water-supply for the popular resort town. This photograph appears to be on the east side of the lake where boat docks were located. The lake has been a popular recreation area from the beginning, and is now part of Mineral Wells State Park.
Date: unknown
Creator: Clarence Winfield Simonds

[Swimming at Lovers Retreat]

Description: Individuals are shown boating and swimming in Eagle Creek at Lovers Retreat, four miles west of Palo Pinto. The large swimming/fishing area of the creek is separated from the beautiful picnic area to the south of the creek (and to the right in the photograph), and also from a spectacular boulder field north of the creek. A suspension foot-bridge spanned Eagle Creek in this area. This view is from the suspension bridge, looking east on Eagle Creek.
Date: unknown

[The Opening of the New Brick Highway - 1936]

Description: A new, brick-topped highway was opened between Mineral Wells and Weatherford in 1936. In the opening ceremony, J. Pat Corrigan is identified cutting the symbolic ribbon held by Allan Wallace and W.A. Ross. The new brick highway began at [Northeast?] 9th Avenue, and extended along East Hubbard Street. Brick paving the 21-mile stretch of road was laid entirely by hand by two black men whose names, however, were never preserved for posterity.
Date: unknown

[Lovers Retreat]

Description: Lovers' Retreat has been called one of the most scenic spots in Texas. This popular picnic spot, located on Eagle Creek north of US Highway 180 (four miles west of Palo Pinto, and south of the creek) was used for many years for camp meetings, and the annual Palo Pinto Old Settlers Reunion. This photograph shows some of the huge boulders in the area north of Eagle Creek, which were accessible from the picnic area by a suspension foot-bridge that spanned a popular swimming and fishing hole. This spectacular recreation area is currently [2007] on private property, and no longer accessible to the public.
Date: unknown

[Downtown Park]

Description: This photograph shows one of several city parks maintained by the ladies of Mineral Wells. Some pictures identify one or the other of these parks as "Wylie Park." It may be that the separate parks on vacant lots throughout the town were all part of a civic "Wylie Park" program. The Cannas here are quite tall. Brick work edging of the flower beds kept the grass from invading the garden.
Date: unknown

[The Palo Pinto County Courthouse]

Description: This picture illustrates Palo Pinto County's third Courthouse, completed in 1941 by the WPA. The rock retaining wall was constructed out of materials taken from the second (1884) courthouse. A World War II Memorial stands in the foreground of the picture, and a granite marker at the far right commemorates the county's 1957 Centennial. Native pecan, elm and oak trees surround the county seat. The building is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
Date: unknown

[A Brazos River Scene]

Description: This 1925 photograph shows individuals, in clothing of the period, at the Brazos River. It appears to be a holiday outing. Some of the people sitting and standing are in full dress, and not wearing swim suits. The flat and sandy shore is reminiscent of the Village Bend area of the Brazos River in the vicinity of Oaks Crossing (the early Brazos ford on the main road from Palo Pinto to Weatherford) some 6 miles southeast of Palo Pinto. The opposite shoreline in the photograph is rocky, with heavy vegetation and high banks. The photograph comes from a Knights of Pythias Album.
Date: unknown

[Hell's Gate]

Description: An old channel of the Brazos River cut a gap in a sandstone formation in the Possum Kingdom area. Water from the impounded Possum Kingdom Lake covered the area and created this spectacular scene when the Morris Shepard Dam was built by the W.P.A. for flood control in the late 1930's. For a feel of the magnitude of the vista, please note the two-story home atop the cliff to the right of the photograph.
Date: unknown
Creator: Weaver, A. F.

Sewerage Disposal Plant

Description: Mineral Wells' Sewerage Disposal Plant was built on the site of the former Elmhurst Park on Pollard Creek, approximately 2 miles SSW of the city. The city obtained the park property, and built the sewerage treatment plant during the recovery from the Great Depression of the 1930's. Shown here is a photograph of a clipping from a newspaper.
Date: 1930?/1939?

[Blind Nellie]

Description: Blind Nellie was brought to Mineral Wells by a cowboy, who sold her at auction for a dollar and a half. She eventually came into the possession of Colonel W.R. Austin, who used her to turn the wheel of the pump at the Austin Well. The horse became a tourist attraction in that capacity. When she was retired, she continued to walk in circles in her pasture. She was given a ceremonial burial when she died in 1912, a burial attended by a large crowd of admirers. The story may be found on page 54 of "TIME WAS in Mineral Wells..." by A.F. Weaver. Written on the back of this photograph is "Blind Nellie at Austin Well located in the 900 block of N.E. 2nd Ave." This is clearly a photograph of a newspaper clipping.
Date: unknown

[A Bottle-Shaped Map of Attractions]

Description: A bottle-shaped flier is illustrated here, showing the attractions and services in Mineral Wells. Evidently, this is the interior of the flier. See "Bottle-Shaped Mineral Water Ad" for the cover. All hotels, boarding houses, wells, and activities are listed, including fox hunting. See also [Bottle-Shaped Romantic Mineral Water Ad].
Date: unknown

[A Bottle-Shaped Mineral Water Advertisement]

Description: A picture of a mineral water advertisement, probably the cover of a flier is shown here. This is an example of the exaggerated claims made about mineral water. It advertises an "Unscientific mixture of water, bottled in bond in Mineral Wells by Pleasant Memory, and marketed as 'Donkaione.' " For the (probable) interior of the flier see [Bottle-Shaped Map of Attractions]. See also [Bottle-Shaped Romantic Mineral Water Advertisement].
Date: unknown

Texas Carlsbad Water

Description: A group of people stand outside Texas Carlsbad Water. The Carlsbad was one of the earlier, and more popular drinking pavilions in Mineral Wells. It was located on NW 1st. Avenue, at NW 4th Street, directly across the street west of the Crazy Well. Its slogan was: Makes a man love HIS wife, Makes a woman love HER husband, Robs the divorce court of its business, Takes the temper out of red-headed people, Puts ginger into ginks and pepper into plodders. Please note the supports for possible electric lines, the unpaved street, and the horses obscurely visible at the far right of the photograph.
Date: 1895?

Carlsbad Well, Mineral Wells, Texas

Description: The Texas Carlsbad Well, located at 415 NW 1st Avenue (west of the Crazy Water Well and Drinking Pavilion), is shown here. A more modern brick building was added to this wooden pavilion in 1909; both structures are visible in pictures taken during a Woodmen of the World convention in 1911. (Note: The newer Carlsbad building was taken over by the Crazy Hotel for its Laundry and Dry Cleaning when the second Carlsbad Pavilion shut down operations during World War II.)
Date: 1910?