Boyce Ditto Public Library - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

John Moore Home, 1911 [exterior]

Description: An inscription on photograph reads: "(John Moore Home) 1911." The house was built in 1906 at 915 NW 4th Avenue by Hugh Coleman. Note the period dress and cowboy clothing. The names of the people pictured are not known. The young man in the foreground is demonstrating his skill with a lariat. The group appears to be in the home's porte-cochere, which was used to protect people, while disembarking from an automobile or a carriage during inclement weather
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph

Junior Class, 1913

Description: A photograph of the Junior Class of 1913 is illustrated here. Please observe that two of the men in the front row are wearing soft collars, which was just becoming fashion at the time. The only person identified is Miss David Gladys Galbraith (named after her father, owner of the Hexagon Hotel) in the middle row, 3rd from the right. Identifications of the other people would be welcomed. The Junior class of 1913 would have been the last graduating class from the East Ward School in 1914. Mineral Wells' High School opened that following year, 1915.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph

The Kingsley

Description: The Kingsley was built on the side of East Mountain around NW 7th Street, and was eventually destroyed by fire. The legend "The Kinglsey, Mineral Wells Texa." invites comentary, as "Texa" is not a proper abbreviation for "Texas." This photograph appears on page 102 of A. F. Weaver's pictorial history book, "TIME WAS In Mineral Wells..." Second Edition, 1988.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph

[The Knights of Pythias Band]

Description: This photograph appears on page 187 of "TIME WAS in Mineral Wells..." (Second edition, 1988, by A. F. Weaver) with the caption, "Knight of Pythias 212 Band of Mineral Wells". The photograph is labeled "K of P Band -- Guy Woodward, Director, Mineral Wells, Texas." The Knights of Pythias Lodge is now located at 610 SE 14th Street in Mineral Wells, adjacent to the former Kidwell Heights elementary school. The Knights of Pythias has run an orphans' home in Weatherford, Texas since the turn of the twentieth century. Mr. Weaver had been in possession of a Pythian album, from which this picture may have been abstracted.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph

KORC 1140 On Your Dial

Description: A picture of a KORC-KBS Microphone--"1140 on your dial" is shown here. Mineral Wells' radio history dates back to the 1930's when Mr. Hal Collins, owner of the Crazy Hotel, began sponsoring broadcasts originating in the hotel lobby. The radio station was founded and owned by Mr. Achilles Corcanges, and aired its first broadcast on December 5, 1946. Radio station KMWT-FM began broadcasting from Mineral Wells in 1970. The broadcasts were aired nationwide, at noon daily, over the Texas Quality Network. It advertised Crazy Water Crystals. Both stations' call letters were changed in 1983 to KJAS-AM and KYXS-FM. Many show business luminaries appeared on the shows. For instance, Mary Martin of Weatherford began her singing/acting career here.
Date: 1946
Item Type: Artwork

[Lake Mineral Wells, 3 of 4: Sign]

Description: A sign in front of the spillway (which was part of the dam for Mineral Wells Lake before it was rebuilt to a higher level during World War Two) says, "Water For Texans."
Date: August 6, 1977
Item Type: Photograph

[A LakeWood Park Scenic Railway, Dinky Car "Esther"]

Description: This photograph shows the "Dinkey Car", Esther, that operated on The Mineral Wells Lakewood Park Scenic Railway to Lake Pinto from 1905 to 1907, at which time the lines were removed. The background indicates the picture was taken near Lake Pinto. This "Dinky Car" was one of two named "Esther" and "Susie" after local banker Cicero Smith's daughters. Banker Smith and Ed Dismuke, owner of The Famous Water Company, built the Scenic Railway. These little cars, powered by gasoline engines, ran every 15 minutes from Mineral Wells, around West Mountain, to Lake Pinto. A larger version, called the "Ben Hur", was added in 1907. Round trip cost 15 cents, and the cars ran on their own steel rails from 1905 to 1909. The Scenic Railway operation to Lake Pinto differed significantly from the trolley and tracks of the Mineral Wells Electric System. The trolley company served the City and ran some two miles southwest to Elmhurst Park and Lake between 1906 and 1907.
Date: 1905/1909
Item Type: Photograph

The Lamar Bath House

Description: The Lamar Bath House was part of a complex of buildings, the last of which was next door to the current First Methodist Church on NE 1st Street. In this picture, the first, or old, First Methodist Church, which was across NE 1st Street, north of the Lamar, can be seen at the far left. The original Lama featured "[H]ot, cold, vapor, douche [shower] and Turkish electro-therapeutic (both faradic and galvanic) baths." Page 59 of A.F. Weaver's "Time Was in Mineral Wells" defines the Lamar property as consisting of several buildings in the same vicinity. The current Baker Hotel, at the corner of Hubbard and NE 1st Street, replaced all the Lamar buildings along with a couple of other businesses.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph

[The Lamar Bath House, Lamar Annex]

Description: This picture is the Annex to the Lamar Bath House, and was located south of the first Methodist Church. The first bath house in Mineral Wells (at Dubellett's French Well) was located northeast of the Methodist Church, and was a neighbor to the Lamar property. The White Sulphur Well, operated by a Mr. Ligon, was located across the street--south of the Methodist Church--and sold in 1891. The Lamar Well and Bath House was developed at this time, and served water under the White Sulfur label. The Lamar property became part of the Baker Hotel property when the hotel was built and opened in 1929.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph

Legarian Club

Description: This photograph shows Members of the Legarian Club, a Mineral Wells Ladies' social club around the turn of the twentieth century. Members included (from top to bottom): Anna Hustead, Hitt Hiles, Anna Oliver Munns, Gussie Waldron Coe, Annie Farley, Maggie Arnold Johnson, Bessie Birdwall Yeager, Alice Raines Williams, Willie McQueary Martin, Anne Yeager Crawford, Fay Henry, Alice Richards Hiles, Kitty Austin Simms, Ada Yeager, [Unidentified], and Ada Crump. The picture appears to have been taken at an outing at Lovers' Retreat, (a public recreation park at the time) on Eagle Creek, about 4 miles west of Palo Pinto.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph

[Leon Cross, Shoe Shine Boy in 1975]

Description: Leon Cross was the only "shine boy" left in Mineral Wells in 1975. He worked in the first Crazy Hotel just before it burned; and has been with the Crazy Hotel ever since, working in different departments of the Hotel. He is the Shine Boy today [2003] in the Crazy Barber Shop, located in the Crazy Hotel. This photograph appears in A.F. Weaver's book "Time Was in Mineral Wells."
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph

[A Letter from Texas Governor to D.C. Harris]

Description: James V. Allred, then governor of Texas wrote, on July 14, 1938, to D.C. Harris a charming response to a letter Mr. Harris had sent to him. The original letter, that prompted this reply, has not survived to this day [2010]. Mr.Allred's letter is reproduced here for the benefit of the curious.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Letter

[A Lion's Club Christmas Project]

Description: A note by A.F. Weaver identifies this group as "Left to right: Lions, Cary Lodal, Moon Mullins, Charlie Johnson, "Santa Claus", Jess Pervine, Noble Glenn." The last four are pictured as sitting on the running board of a General Motors truck, which appears to be loaded with wrapped gifts. (No connection is known or implied, but since the "Santa Claus" in the picture is not identified, an interesting bit of local history is offered by way of suppletion: Rancher Charley Belding, a bachelor living west of Palo Pinto, was known annually to contribute (anonymously) truckloads of Christmas Gifts for needy children in the county.) Note the Hexagon Hotel in the upper right corner and the two gasoline stations, Gulf and Sinclair (H.C.) The picture appears to have been taken on the east side of N. Oak Avenue in about the 500 block. The Lion's club, mentioned in the title, is a service organization.
Date: 1938?
Item Type: Photograph

[The Lion's Club Womanless Wedding]

Description: Lion's Club Womanless Wedding [Around the 1930's or '40's] A note tacked to the bottom of the picture reads: LEFT TO RIGHT: LIONS Conrad Brady Clyde Murray Alton Pope George Ritchie Al Frances Burl Lawrence Charles Garland One "lady" [Conrad Brady] wears the banner "Miss Conduct"; another, [Alton Pope]the banner "Miss Judge."
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph

[The Lions Club Womanless Wedding]

Description: Pictured here is the Lion's Club "Woman-less Wedding", a Community Entertainment Production sponsored by the local Lion's Club as a fund-raiser for local charity, and popular around the 1930's and 1940's. Participants are identified as: Seated; J. B. Courtney (Miss Fortune), Charles Williams and Noble Glenn (Miss Applied). Standing; Cary Lodal, Dr. Holder, Bob Joiner, Jess Purvine, Cecil Young, Charlie Johnson and Frank Burney (Mae West).
Date: 1935?
Item Type: Photograph

Lithia Well

Description: The Lithia Well drinking pavilion was located on the southwest corner of the Crazy block at 400 NW 1st Avenue. The roof of the second Crazy Well drinking pavilion can be seen to the left of the Lithia. The Mineral Wells Library maintained its second location in this pavilion. The First Crazy Hotel was built on this location in 1914, but burned in 1925. The rebuilt and expanded Crazy Hotel (Now [2008] a retirement home) replaced the burned hostelry in 1927. See also the following picture.
Date: 1900?
Item Type: Photograph

Lithia Wells

Description: The Lithia Wells and Drinking Pavilion was located on the southwest corner of the "Crazy Block." (400 NW 1st Avenue, the current [2008]location of the Crazy Retirement Home). The second Crazy Well Pavilion is the large building the upper left of the photograph. Note the three burros next to the horse. Riding burros up a trail on East Mountain was a popular tourist pastime, in addition to drinking and bathing in the mineral waters. The Mineral Wells Public Library was located in the Lithia Pavilion at one time. See also the preceding picture.
Date: 1908?
Item Type: Photograph

Living Room in Home Econmics.

Description: This picture shows the living room in the Lillian Peek Home Economics Building at Mineral Wells' High School. The Peek cottage was built by the W.P.A. in 1937, and was the first free-standing Home Economics classroom/laboratory in the State of Texas. It is now the property of the Fifty Year Club, and is leased to the Creative Arts Center Studio/Workshop of the Mineral Wells Art Club. Note the construction of the false fireplace with its fire brick lining, which was typical of stucco home construction in the 1930's and 1940's.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph

[Looking North on Oak Avenue]

Description: A photograph, looking north on Oak Street between 1914 and 1916. Work has started on paving the street. This picture is to be found on page 16 of the second edition of "Time Was in Mineral Wells..."
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph

Looking south on Mesquite Street

Description: A street scene, identified as Mesquite Street (now NE 1st Avenue)and looking south, taken at the turn of the twentieth century, shows businesses that antedate the coming of the automobile. On the right, in the middle of the picture, the Yeager Building is shown with a stone lion mounted on its roof. Many historians now refer to this building as the Lion Drug Store. However, current Yeager descendants now living in Mineral Wells do not remember the store as ever being named anything but The Yeager Drug Store. The third building on the left (with the spire on top) was the Star Well whose manager, Frank Richards was an active participant in Mineral Wells' early business and social activities. At the end of the street is Mineral Wells depot built in 1902. Absence of the "Dinky Car" tracks in the middle of the street indicates that the picture was taken prior to the building of the Mineral Wells Lakewood Park Scenic Railway in 1905.
Date: 1902-05?
Item Type: Photograph

[Looking South on Mesquite Street]

Description: A photograph that looks south on Mesquite Street (in 2008: NE 1st Avenue)is shown here. It was taken after 1914, as the pavement indicates. Several automobiles and a horse-drawn buggy share the street. Note the water fountain between cars in right-center foreground. This water fountain was later moved to Mineral Wells' West City Park, and is now in the "Towne Common", located in the 100 block of SW 1st Avenue. The picture may be found on page 79 of A.F. Weaver's "TIME WAS . . . " Mini Edition, 2004.
Date: 1915?
Item Type: Photograph

[The Lookout Tower of the Casino at Elmhurst Park]

Description: This photograph appears on page 87 of "Time Was..." by A. F. Weaver. He writes, "The Casino had two lookout towers. Note the five persons in the tower." The people are not identified. The photograph appears to have been retouched for sharpness and contrast.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph

[A Love Story of Mineral Wells]

Description: This photograph appears to be a fragment of the cover of an advertising booklet that includes the fiction "A Love Story of Mineral Wells", by Mamie Wynn Cox. Her fiction was first published in 1911. Four libraries worldwide claim possession of a copy of it. The complete booklet is available by flipping through the page by selecting "next" above the photographs. The cover shows a lady holding a handful of dominoes, which was probably meant to establish a connection to Mineral Wells, Dominoes once being a popular pastime in the city. The game of 42 (named after the number of points that could be scored in a game) was invented in Garner, seven miles east of Mineral Wells. For readers interested in obtaining a copy of the fiction, the Dewey Number of it is 833; the Library of Congress Call Number is PS 3505.O97
Date: 1915?
Item Type: Artwork