Boyce Ditto Public Library - Browse
Filters have been applied to your results. Adjust settings from lower-left menu.
- [A Corner of Oak Avenue and East Hubbard Street]
- This picture shows the northeast corner of the intersection of Hubbard Street (US Hwy. 180) and Oak Avenue (US Hwy. 281), the center of downtown Mineral Wells. In this picture are The First State Bank, The Gentleman's Closet, and Lorene's Fabrics. The First State Bank began at this location, with Leon Cowan as president and Tony Street and Leon Groves as vice-presidents. The City National Bank was once located here, but moved to their new location at 1900 E. Hubbard Street. The Gentleman's Closet and Lorene's Fabrics occupied a newly-remodeled building to the right (east) of the bank. George's Men's Shop was one of the businesses in the building across Oak Avenue to the left and west of the First State Bank.
- [First State Bank and The Gentlemen's Closet]
- This photograph has been tentatively dated to the 1980's. Notice the mailbox at the corner--a rarity in Mineral Wells at the present  time. The street appears to be devoid of markings. The picture shows the First State Bank, which began business at the southwest corner of the 100 block of East Hubbard with a drive-in teller and parking lot at the back of the bank. The First State Bank president was Leon Cowan; vice-presidents were Tony Street and Leon Groves. The First State Bank occupied the northeast corner of N. Oak Avenue and E. Hubbard Streets after The City National Bank (now First Financial Bank) moved from here to its current  location at 1900 W. Hubbard Street. First State Bank is now  located at 101 SE 1st Avenue. The building now  houses the offices for the Mineral Wells Hospice. The Gentleman's Closet, next door, was a man's haberdashery. It was a remodeled store that had been occupied by a number of previous businesses. It is presently  vacant.