Boyce Ditto Public Library - 878 Matching Results

Search Results

Camp Wolters - Texas

Description: Illustrated here is a panoramic view of Camp Wolters, Texas. Labels on photograph identify (left to right) Area No. 4, Sports Arena, Service Club, Area No. 5, Area No. 3, Area No. 2, and Area No.1. Platoons of soldiers are marching on the left side of the photograph.
Date: 1945
Creator: Camp Wolters Studio

[Photograph of Senator Tom Creighton]

Description: Head-shot of Texas Senator Tom Creighton. Mr. Creighton is wearing a dark suit and tie, and half of his face is partially shadowed. The backdrop is dark and out-of-focus. On the back of the photograph are handwritten notes and two stamps: one giving the Boyce-Ditto Public Library's address and the other giving the photo printer's information.
Date: unknown
Creator: Christianson Leberman House of Portraits

[A Hill With Power Poles]

Description: This picture was taken from one of 17 (4"X4") negatives that were contained in an envelope from Charles W. Simonds (Route 5, Box 43, Norman, Oklahoma, 73069), addressed to A.F. Weaver Photography and postmarked "Aug. 4, 1975." Also on the envelope are some telephone numbers and a remark: "Father - C.W. Simonds (Clarence Winfield.) This picture is taken from East Mountain, Mineral Wells, looking east along Northeast 4th Street. The ruins of a foundation of a building seen at the end of the street about half-way up the hill was the Chautauqua, completed in 1905 and demolished about 1912. The lookout tower at the top of the mountain was blown away by a tornado in 1930. There is a sign below the crest of the mountain (It appears to proclaim the "Young Photo Garden", which was located at 309 N. Oak Avenue) approximately in the place where the "Welcome" sign was erected in 1922. The Jaycees (Junior Chamber of Commerce) built a youth center on this site in the 1970's, that is still standing at the present time [2008]. Several unidentified people are also to be seen in the photograph.
Date: unknown
Creator: Clarence Winfield Simonds

[A Lady Viewing Mineral Wells From East Mountain]

Description: A lady is shown viewing city of Mineral Wells while standing on a rock formation. She is on East Mountain, looking southwest. A popular activity for tourists was to climb the mountain and view the city. The picture appears to have been taken about 1920. This picture is one of 17 (4"X4") negatives that were found in an envelope from Charles W. Simonds (Route 5, Box 43, Norman, Oklahoma, 73069), addressed to A.F. Weaver Photography, and postmarked "Aug. 4, 1975." Also on the envelope, some telephone numbers and "Father - C.W. Simonds (Clarence Winfield)."
Date: unknown
Creator: Clarence Winfield Simonds

[Lake Mineral Wells]

Description: Rock Creek in Parker County was dammed up in 1919 to form Lake Mineral Wells, the third lake built as a water-supply for the popular resort town. This photograph appears to be on the east side of the lake where boat docks were located. The lake has been a popular recreation area from the beginning, and is now part of Mineral Wells State Park.
Date: unknown
Creator: Clarence Winfield Simonds

[Photograph of Lake Mineral Wells]

Description: Photograph of a view from a spot near the dam looking across the lake to Ed Dismuke's Famous Water Company, where mineral water was piped to his drinking pavilion on NW 3rd Street.
Date: 1941?
Creator: Clarence Winfield Simonds

[ A Street Scene]

Description: This picture comes from one of 17 (4X4) negatives that were found in an envelope from Charles W. Simonds (Route 5, Box 43, Norman, Oklahoma, 73069), postmarked Aug. 4, 1975, and addressed to A.F. Weaver Photography. Also on the envelope, are some telephone numbers and "Father - C.W. Simonds (Clarence Winfield.) The scene is believed to show some of the large homes on the east slope of West Mountain, in the 600 block of NW 6th Street, taken at about the time of their construction. The home in the foreground appears to be the site of the former Episcopal Parsonage (the church adjoins the parsonage to the north (left of the picture).
Date: unknown
Creator: Clarence Winfield Simonds

Street Parade / West Texas C. of C. Convention / Mineral Wells 1925

Description: A parade on North Oak Avenue in Mineral Wells, Texas is the subject of this picture. Businesses partaking of it include Poston Dry Goods, a bath house, the Hexagon Hotel, Palace Drugs, American Cafe, and the Caldwell Hotel. American flags, Texas flags, and various banners are hanging from the buildings. The parade is moving south (while the picture is looking north) on N. Oak Avenue, at its intersection with SE 1st Street It was held during the West Texas Chamber of Commerce Convention of 1925. The photograph bears the colophon of the Basil Clemens Photo Company of Breckenridge, Texas.
Date: unknown
Creator: Clemons, Basil

[The St. Nicholas Hotel]

Description: A group of men stand in front of the St. Nicholas Hotel. A colophon at the lower right designates this picture as a photographic souvenir from Minerals Wells, taken by Dan W. Evans. The building had a varied history. It was first (in 1904) an unnamed two-and-one-half-story sanitarium, then re-named the St. Nicholas Hotel, and then later it became the Delaware Hotel. It was located at N. Oak and NE 3rd Street. The building was eventually consumed by fire on October of 1907. The back of photograph has a T and P Railway logotype and this information about the Jericho Fine Photo Company: "Mountain and Donkey Groups, View Souvenirs and Scenery of Min-Wells, Kodak Supplies and Finishing, Button and Stamp Photos a Specialty. Dan W. Evans Prop. Min Wells, Tex."
Date: 1907?
Creator: Dan W. Evans

The First Anniversary of the Aviation Engineer Force Activation

Description: Troops and spectators celebrate the first anniversary of Aviation Engineer Force Activation at Wolters Air Force Base on April 10, 1952, with Colonel A.B. Campfield, the Commander of Troops; Brigadier General H.W. Ehrgott, Commanding; Colonel Philip G. Kemp, the Base Commander.
Date: April 10, 1952
Creator: Daniel Photography

The Cullen Grimes School

Description: Principal Donald Bond, the teachers and the students of the afternoon group at Cullen Grimes School in Mineral Wells, Texas congregate in front of the building in March of 1954.
Date: March 1954
Creator: Daniel, W.L.

Sam Houston School

Description: Students, teachers and principal D.R. Hudson, of the Sam Houston School in March 1954 stand outside the school building.
Date: March 1954
Creator: Daniel, W.L.

The Sam Houston School--- An Afternoon Group of 1954

Description: Students, teachers and the principal, D.R. Hudson, of the Sam Houston School's Afternoon Group are shown here in March of 1954. The picture was taken outside the school building.
Date: March 1954
Creator: Daniel, W.L.

Lovers Retreat

Description: A photograph of a group of three men and four women pose in a hollow surrounded by vegetation. This former public park, on Eagle Creek four miles west of Palo Pinto, is known for the huge vine-covered boulders north of the creek, and for a lovely picnic area bordering the creek on the south side. A low dam near the downstream edge of the park formed a favorite early swimming and fishing area. A small pedestrian suspension bridge provided access to the rugged boulder-strewn playground. A large tabernacle provided venue for Sunday Services at one time, and also for the Palo Pinto County Old Settler's Reunions.
Date: unknown
Creator: Fishburn

[General William C. Westmoreland meets with press]

Description: Photograph of General William C. Westmoreland, Army Chief of Staff, meeting with some of the local press during his visit to Fort Wolters. General Westmoreland is in uniform, standing behind a podium with several microphones pointed towards him. On the wood-paneled wall behind him is a large, hanging insignia, reading, "Above The Finest."
Date: June 21, 1969
Creator: Herbert, H. Key

[Photograph of General James K. Woolnough]

Description: Head-shot of Commanding General in the US Army James K. Woolnough. The general is in uniform and is sitting against a light-colored background. On the back of the photograph are typewritten information about the photo (such as the photo's subject, photographer, etc.), a stamp giving the Boyce-Ditto Public Library's address, and handwritten notes.
Date: July 5, 1967
Creator: Jameson, E.

[Photgraph of General Paul L. Freeman, Jr.]

Description: Head-shot of Commanding General in the US Army Paul L. Freeman, Jr. The general is in uniform and is sitting in front of a medium-colored backdrop. On the back of the photograph are handwritten notes, a stamp giving the Boyce-Ditto Public Library's address, and typewritten notes giving information about the photograph (such as the photo's subject, the photographer, etc.).
Date: unknown
Creator: Jameson, Evelyn C.

[Photograph of Major General Robert R. Williams]

Description: Head-shot of Major General Robert R. Williams, Director of Army Aviation. The Major General is in uniform and sits in front of a dark background. On the back of the photograph are typewritten notes, a stamp giving the Boyce-Ditto Public Library's address, and a handwritten note that reads, "60%."
Date: March 14, 1967
Creator: Porter, Oscar E.

[Judge J. A. Lynch]

Description: . This picture,of Judge J. A. Lynch (1827-1920), founder of Mineral Wells, Texas, may be found published on page 32 of "Time Was..." by A. F. Weaver. It is taken from a painting that is owned by the Lynch family, and executed by Thomas Beauregard. A label at the bottom of the frame cannot be read, but presumably identifies the subject of the painting.
Date: unknown
Creator: Thomas Beauregard

Judge J. A. Lynch

Description: Shown here is a reproduction of a steel engraving of Judge J. A. Lynch, founder of Mineral Wells. The source of the engraving remains unknown. A fragment of copy at the bottom of the picture mentions the "inconvenience of hauling it from the Brazos River." The initials "GSW" are visible to the left of the judge's lapel.
Date: unknown
Creator: Thomas Beauregard (?)

[Photograph of Lawrence J. Lincoln, Commanding Lieutenant General]

Description: Photograph of Commanding Lieutenant General Lawrence J. Lincoln. He is in uniform, sitting at a desk with an American flag in the background. His uniform bears small emblems and awards, including his colors. On the back of the photograph are stamped, typewritten, and handwritten notes.
Date: July 31, 1967
Creator: Turner, Raymond

[416 NW 6th Street]

Description: Shown here is a photograph of the front and west side of a multi-story Queen Anne-style, cement-block house located at 416 NW 6th Street in Mineral Wells, Texas. It has many architectural features displaying the sub-type Patterned Masonry, such as the shaped parapets on the tower, and on the gables, as well as the Palladian window on the tower. The rectangular tower is unusual. Although it is not obvious in this photograph, there are more than the normal number of chimneys. The house is said to have a fireplace in each room--each one of which was unique. The fireplaces are said to have been faced with Italian marble. A picture in the "Daily Mineral Index" (that is thought to be contemporary with the house) shows another, frontal view, which also displays a conservatory, not visible in this photograph.
Date: June 1975
Creator: Weaver, A. F.
Location Info:

[416 NW 6th Street, western elevation]

Description: This home, at 416 NW 6th Street, was built in 1904 by Robert Wylie, a prominent pioneer cattleman. It was home to the Wiley family until 1917, when it passed into the ownership of the Luther Waddy. In 2006, it was owned and occupied by Jayne Catrett. Billy Gross, Junior, grandson of W.H. Gross, and an original member of the Heritage Association, wrote a detailed description of the house's interior that is too long to be included here. He worked at the Boyce Ditto Library until his death. This photograph, taken in June of 1974, shows the side (western) elevation of the house from NW 4th Avenue, showing the second intersecting gable and hipped roof, characteristic of Queen Anne architecture. For details about this house, please see the previous picture. Another view of it may be found in "Time Was...," by A. F. Weaver, on page 141.
Date: unknown
Creator: Weaver, A. F.

[612 NW 6th Street]

Description: This photograph of 612 N. W. 6th Street was taken on the Fourth of July, 1975. The house was built in 1905 by W. S. McCutcheon. The house has been owned and occupied from that time to the present time (2006) by Gil Hull. The local parish of the Episcopal Church held meetings in the basement that members lovingly called "the Catacombs." St. Luke's Episcopal Church is located next door on a lot donated by the McCutcheons. The style of the house is tentatively determined to be Neo-classical. It shows evidence of extensive remodeling. An earlier photograph is pictured on page 140 of "Time Was..." by A. F. Weaver.
Date: July 4, 1975
Creator: Weaver, A. F.