Boyce Ditto Public Library - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

[First Presbyterian Church -- 9 of 13: South Side]

Description: This photograph is the ninth in a series of pictures showing architectural details of the Presbyterian Church. This picture is a view of the south side of the church, including, at left, the main entrance at southwest corner of building.
Date: 1980
Creator: A. F. Weaver
Item Type: Photograph

[The Front entrance to the second First Presbyterian Church]

Description: This picture of the main entrance to the second First Presbyterian Church at 300 NW 4th Avenue, Mineral Wells, shows the unique dome that topped the picturesque structure. The church survived the disastrous fire of July 4, 1914, that destroyed about six city blocks surrounding it. Foundation structural damage caused the church to be replaced by a more modern structure in the 1980's. This picture is one of 43 negatives in the A. F. Weaver Collection showing construction details of the Lutheran and Presbyterian churches.
Date: 1980
Creator: A. F. Weaver
Item Type: Photograph

[The Second First Presbyterian Church]

Description: A view barely showing the dome atop the second First Presbyterian Church, which was built in 1909, and located at 300 NW 4th Avenue is shown here. The church survived the disastrous fire of July 4, 1914 that destroyed about six city blocks east of the church. Structural damage to the basement caused the building to be replaced in the 1980's by a more modern structure. This picture is one of 43 negatives in the A. F. Weaver collection, showing construction details of the Lutheran and Presbyterian churches.
Date: 1980
Creator: A. F. Weaver
Item Type: Photograph

[St. Mark's Lutheran Church - 2 of 18: Rear View]

Description: A view of the south-east rear of St. Mark Lutheran Church, 2301 SE 25th Avenue, Mineral Wells, Texas, illustrates a detail of the structure: East of the sanctuary, the Community Center and a children's playground, with equipment.
Date: 1980
Creator: A. F. Weaver
Item Type: Photograph

[The 100 Block of West Hubbard]

Description: This picture is an illustration of the south side of the 100 block of West Hubbard Street, looking southeast. The north side (and back view) of Cole's Florist and Hill's Style Shop can be seen at the center of the picture. Lynch Plaza, the darker brick building, is in the left middle background. Oak Avenue (U.S. Highway 281) extends north-south between Cole's House of Flowers and Lynch Plaza. Cole's occupies the site of the former Davidson Hardware, which burned along with the Damron Hotel in 1975. Lynch Plaza, the site of the mineral-water discovery well, was built on the site where the former Oxford Hotel burned in 1983. The parking lot seen in the right foreground of the picture was the site of the Damron Hotel.
Date: September 1988
Item Type: Photograph

[A Back View of Businesses on the West Side of 100 Block and S. Oak]

Description: Businesses are shown here at the southwest corner of West Hubbard Street and South Oak Avenue: The location of the original Colonial Hotel. (It was originally built in 1906 by J.T. Holt for his second wife who would not live in the country, and it was renamed the Damron Hotel about 1917 when Agnew and Bessie Damron traded a ranch for it. The hotel burned in 1975.) The small white building in the left middle foreground is a back view of Cole's House of Flowers (where Davidson's Hardware also burned in the Damron Hotel fire), next to it is Hill's Style Shoppe and Mineral Wells Office Supply. The vacant lot in the foreground is the location of the former Damron hotel. At the far left edge of the picture, to the east and across Oak Avenue, is Lynch Plaza which was built on the site of the former Oxford Hotel, that burned in 1983, along with the First National Bank. Lynch Plaza is named for J.A. Lynch, Mineral Wells' founder. who had a well drilled at this location in 1880, and discovered the source of mineral water that made Mineral Wells the most popular health spa in the nation at the turn of the twentieth century. A Texas Historical Commission Marker commemorating the discovery-well is embedded in a brick wall surrounding the parking lot of Lynch Plaza. Obscurely in middle distance, at the right edge of the picture, south and across SW 1st Street, are the offices of the Palo Pinto County Abstract Company and those of the City of Mineral Wells.
Date: 1988?
Item Type: Photograph