Boyce Ditto Public Library - 16 Matching Results

Search Results

Mineral Wells Volunteer Fire Department (Souvenir)

Description: Shown here is the cover of a souvenir booklet published for the benefit of the Mineral Wells Volunteer Fire Department in 1906. It was issued as part of the Firemen's Pension and Relief Fund
Date: July 1906

[The Texas Carlsbad Well Slogan]

Description: A picture of the slogan posted in the Texas Carlsbad Well pavilion with "proof" that a Cadillac, with its radiator filled with mineral water, was rejuvenated with enough "pep" to pass a Chevrolet. Please note: The first Cadillac V-8 engine was introduced in 1914 as the 'Type 51' engine, so this photograph may be dated to 1914 or thereafter. The "Over" section is not illustrated. It probably contained more braggadocio.
Date: 1914?

The Health Resort Quarterly, 2 of 4: Page 1

Description: The Health Resort Quarterly was published by the Commercial Club, located at 106 East Wall Street (now NE 4th Street). This volume was published October, 1915. Officers were: J.C Pangle, President; Dr. J.H McCracken, Vice President; W.I. Smith, Treasurer and Fred Burman, Secretary. The publication contained words of wisdom, advertisements extolling Mineral Wells, and items of local news.
Date: October 1915
Creator: Burman, Fred

The Health Resort Quarterly, 3 of 4: Pages 2 and 3

Description: Listed on this page are articles extolling the qualities of local mineral water, the mineral water baths, and the year-round climate of the city. Advertisements defining the grades of water offered by The Carlsbad Water Company and the amenities offered by The Damron Hotel are also to be found on these pages.
Date: October 1915

The Health Resort Quarterly, 4 of 4: Pages 4 and 5

Description: On these pages are seen advertisements for The Fairfield Inn, owner Mrs. Walter H. Boykin; The Oxford Hotel (C. H. Browning is listed as the proprietor) with European and American plans available; and The Davis Well Water and By-Products (Dr. E. A. Davis, is listed as president). The quarterly reports that the Odd Fellow Convention will be held in Mineral Wells in 1916.
Date: October 1915

The History of Elmhurst Park Housing Project

Description: Elmhurst Park, on Pollard Creek about one mile-and-a-half of the southwest corner of Oak and Hubbard streets, closed when the trolley from the city to the Park ceased operations in 1913. The City of Mineral Wells received the park property, in a lawsuit concerning the builder of the park, one Major Beardsley (q.v. in the description field). A housing project was opened there about the time the nation began mobilizing for World War II, and construction of Fort Wolters began. (At one time, Fort Wolters was the largest Infantry Replacement Training Center in the nation; nearly 500,000 soldiers passed through the Mineral Wells railway depot during the war). The site was returned to the City of Mineral Wells following the war, and made available to veterans and their families. The area is now the site of City Water Treatment and Waste Disposal facilities.
Date: 1960?

The Brain Busters

Description: The modern viewer is likely to be appalled by this picture, but black-face comedy was considered a socially acceptable form of entertainment until after World War II. The pamphlet suggests that "The Brain Busters" were a series of difficult questions sent in to the duo by listeners to their radio program. "February" has been identified as Francis Quinn (one of the players in the band of Jack Amlung), and "Sugar Cane" was said to be Amlung's announcer, Conrad Brady.
Date: unknown

The Carlsbad of America

Description: Shown here is the battered title page of a pamphlet about Mineral Wells, calling it "The Carlsbad of America." It gives the property valuation (ending in 1905), and the population of the city (also ending in 1905). A colophon at the bottom of the pamphlet remarks "Texas An Empire---A nation within a Nation." The pamphlet reports itself as the work of the Index Printing Company.
Date: unknown

Hotel Guide, Highway Guide, and Where to Go in Mineral Wells

Description: This guide to the town of Mineral Wells, contains information about the different types of water available, recreation activities, sanatoria, and hotels. A "Dyspeptic" is also shown as a "Before" image. Please observe the gammadion (swastika) ribbons that adorn the top and bottom of the doggerel that touts the benefits of the mineral waters. This guide appears to have been published long before the Nazis of Germany gave the symbol a bad image. The brochure announces proudly that "Registered Nurses [are] in Charge" and that it is "Open to All Ethical Physicians and Surgeons." Among the physicians listed in the Mineral Wells Sanitarium, there is a "L[loyd]. C[ason]. Roberts, M.D.", who was born in Nettleton, Mississippi on October 14, 1868; and who died June 24, 1927 in Mineral Wells. The City Directory lists him as living in 1910 as a Justice of Precinct 8, Hill Texas; he was listed as a widower and a boarder. Later (according to the directory) he was living in Mineral Wells in 1924 with a wife (Bertha Van Everett Taylor--1880-1964) and son (Francis Taylor Roberts--1908-1974) , and he was 56 years old.
Date: unknown
Creator: Mineral Wells Chamber of Commerce

MINERAL WELLS TEXAS CARLSBAD WATER

Description: This picture appears to be a label taken from a container of mineral water sold by the Texas Carlsbad Water Company. The label describes the water as "Purgative" and "Diuretic." DIRECTIONS state further: The average person requires from 8 to 12 glasses per day, but there are those who need less, and others for whom this quantity will not suffice. Hence drink such quantity as gives desired effect, be it small or great. One or two glasses taken hot, half hour before breakfast, will be found very effective. The label ends with the legend: This Label Censored [sic] by the Parker-Palo Pinto Co. Medical Society.
Date: unknown

[A Minstrel Show Program]

Description: Shown here is presumably the program for a minstrel show (given in November of 1916) sponsored by the B.P.O.E. Please observe the advertisements (that presumably paid for the printing) on both the front and the back.
Date: unknown

[A Photocopy of the Mineral Wells "Index"]

Description: Shown here is a photocopy of a page from the Mineral Wells "Index." No date is shown. The only legibly complete articles concern the Buck Head Bath House and Pavilion, and the Wagley Bath House and Annex.
Date: unknown

Strange Structure [article]

Description: An article written by Maid J. Neal, in an unknown publication, describes in detail the construction and design of the Hexagon Hotel, which was built in 1895-1897 by D. G. Galbraith. See also "Hexagon Hotel" [with history] for further details.
Date: unknown
Creator: Neal, Maid J.

[A Centennial Booklet of First Baptist Church]

Description: A booklet of twenty pages, celebrates centennial anniversary of First Baptist Church of Mineral Wells, October 10, 1982, it indicates that the Reverend Bobby E. Moore was pastor at the time. The booklet is paperback and vanilla-colored. The text is in brown sans-serif. The interior text is in script.
Date: October 10, 1982

"Crazy Hotel Opens"

Description: Text of a speech given by A. W. Weaver to the Mineral Wells Heritage Association about the opening of a new Crazy Hotel in Mineral Wells, Texas.
Date: March 10, 1994
Creator: Weaver, A. F.