Boyce Ditto Public Library - 1,381 Matching Results

Search Results

[Two men dressed as Bonnie and Clyde]

Description: Two men, posing as the notorious gangsters of the 'thirties (Bonnie Parker and Clyde Barrow), standing beside a (1932 Ford?), are shown in front of Woods Camera Shop. Woods Camera Shop advertises (on a faded sign in front of the store) "Eastman Dealer - Enlarging Framing Finishing - Kodaks Loaned Free" The occasion of this disguise remains, as yet, unknown.
Date: unknown

[Two Old-Time Stores]

Description: This picture appears to show two stores that stand cheek-by-jowl. A saddlery on the far left shares space with a furniture storethat also sold cofins. The sign over the stores combines their functions in a way that would--under other circumstances--seem comical. The building itself was located at the corner of SE 1st, and South Oak Streets. A note on the photograph states that it was south of the MARTIN BUILDING. It was once the McBrayer-Armstrong Grocery, then later the Nash Hardware store. The location of Lattner eventually became the Buy-Rite store [116 South Oak Avenue, at the corner of SE 1st Street, until some time in the early 1980's]. The road is unpaved, there is no evidence of lighting--except for the lamp mounted on a post at the front of the building. The horse-drawn hearse (without its horse or plumes) suggests that although it was in front of the stores, it was not at the time in use. The picture, therefore, dates from the end of the 19th century--or the earliest 20th century.
Date: unknown

[Two women in a Wheelbarrow]

Description: Two unknown young ladies are shown posing in a wheelbarrow in Wylie Park, located in the 100 block of NE 2nd Street (for the same photograph, please see page 115 of "Time Was", second edition). Wylie Park seems to have been a project of the local ladies' garden Club, who developed various empty areas around town into garden plots. The first Catholic church on the side of West Mountain appears to be barely visible in the far distance, indicating that the photograph has been taken looking to the west. The photograph unfortunately bears no date.
Date: unknown

[The Tygrett House]

Description: The Tygrett Hotel, built as a Room-and-Board Hotel about 1910, is still [2008] located at 415 NW 4th Street. The house is named "Silk Stocking Row" at this time [2008], and is currently Mineral Wells' only Bed and Breakfast Inn. The house is Queen Anne style, free classic sub-type. Note the unusual two-story wrap-around porch and the the polygonal tower. The Palladian windows and classic columns are characteristic of this sub-type. A. F. Weaver reminisces that he learned how to play the piano at this house. This photograph appears on page 105 of the "Time Was"..., Second Edition.
Date: unknown

[An Un-named Water Well]

Description: Since the mineral water that was needed for commercial purposes did not flow in convenient springs, it was necessary to pump it out of the ground by way of wells. The wells were abandoned when the fad for the water evaporated. For example, what remains of this water well (only its head) is at the North West corner of NW 9th Street and NW 3rd Avenue, Mineral Wells, Texas.
Date: unknown

[The Una McLaughlin Home]

Description: The "Una McLaughlin" home is located on NW 23rd Street. This photograph was taken in July, 1975. Built in 1927 by J.C. Cunningham, an oil operator, the home was sold in 1931 to Judge E.B. Ritchie. It was purchased in 1973 by Una McLaughlin. It has since changed hands several times. It is presently [2014] vacant. The tile in the living room fireplace is the same as used in the Baker Hotel. The tile, stained glass in the breakfast room, and the light fixtures are in the Art Deco style. The architectural style of the house is Italian Renaissance. It shows signs of being remodeled.
Date: unknown

[An Unknown Boarding House]

Description: A large house (or possibly a hotel) is shown here. The original photograph is not in good condition. A black man (in shirtsleeves) may be seen on the first floor, next to a seated black lady. Two black(?) men, more formally dressed, stand on the second floor. There is no indication of the identity of the building. The presumed street in the front does not appear to be paved.
Date: unknown

[Unloading Grain From Box Cars]

Description: This picture depicts men unloading grain from box cars at the Mineral Wells railroad yards into horse-drawn wagons. During the days if the Great Depression years of the 1930's, grain and cotton were the principal cash crops of farmers around Mineral Wells, and the WMW&NW (Weatherford, Mineral Wells and Northwest) Railroad was a prime shipper of the crops to market. This photograph is featured on page 92 of A.F. Weaver's "Time Was in Mineral Wells," second edition.
Date: unknown

US Army [Helicopter] 613210 [and Pilot]

Description: A picture of a U.S. Army helicopter and pilot, taken at Ft. Wolters Army Base before the close of the fort in 1974. Ft. Wolters was home to a primary helicopter flight training school during the Vietnam War. In a war that featured helicopters, 70% of the helicopter pilots in the Vietnamese War received all or part of their training at Ft. Wolters in Mineral Wells. The Helicopter Pilots Association is the primary sponsor of the National Viet Nam War Museum being built near the airport in Mineral Wells. The museum currently contains a half-size replica of the Viet Nam War Memorial Wall in Washington, D. C., and a beautiful "Meditation Garden."
Date: unknown

[A Vacant lot in downtown Mineral Wells]

Description: A vacant lot in downtown Mineral Wells, Texas, next to the Central Christian Church, located on NW 1st Street is shown here. Advertisements of products, and coming movie attractions, are displayed on a large bill board, and on an adjoining house. The lot is messy, and a note indicates that it is to be part of a beautification project. The clean-up referred to in the accompanying note was probably more than a general "Spring Cleaning" campaign for the city of Mineral Wells. It was probably part of the "Wylie Park" beautification project. Smoke rising from stove pipes belonging to nearby businesses indicate cool weather.
Date: unknown

[A View from East Mountain about 1901-1912]

Description: A view from East Mountain, looking southwest with West Mountain at right, taken in the interval about 1901-1912, is shown here. In the left foreground is the Thompson house on NE 2nd Avenue. This house was built in 1896 as a wedding present for [Mrs.]Thompson. To the right of this house is the Mineral Wells Sanatorium. The Baker Hotel and the Crazy Water Hotel were not yet built. In the far right of the photograph is First Baptist Church, on the block between 4th and 5th Avenues and Hubbard and West 1st Streets. The first Catholic church is shown at the top right, near the base of West Mountain. The Yeager Block (Drug Store)is the large white sandstone building in the left-middle of the picture.
Date: unknown

[A View of Mineral Wells] 1886

Description: An oval inset of Mineral Wells as it appeared in 1886. The photograph on which it is overlaid was made in approximately 1925. Above, and right of the overlay, is the Lamar Bath House and Hotel complex, the current site of the Baker Hotel. An incomplete text under the picture compares Mineral Wells to other worldwide mineral water resort cities.
Date: unknown

[A View of Mineral Wells, Before the Building of the Baker Hotel]

Description: A view of Mineral Wells from West Mountain, taken before the Baker Hotel was built. The picture therefore predates 1929. Just to the left of the upper center is the Hexagon Hotel. To the right of that, almost at the upper center, is the Standard Well and Amusement Park. On top of the hill are homes on what is now Northeast 4th Avenue. Some of these houses (especially the one with columns) are still in existence today [2009]. At the southern base of the hill, the house which Mr. Pratt restored in 2006-7 can be seen next to the Sanatorium. The Hexagon Hotel and the Standard Well no longer exist.
Date: November 27, 2006

[A View of Mineral Wells from East Mountain]

Description: A view of Mineral Wells from East Mountain looking west along NW 3rd Street is shown here. Visible landmarks include: The first Crazy Water Hotel, (built in two sections in 1911 and 1912) with its common lobby entrance on NW 3rd Street; the U.S. Post Office in the left foreground; the first Roman Catholic Church on the side of West Mountain at NW 3rd Street; Mineral Wells High School; West Ward School in the gap between West and South Mountains; and the Presbyterian Church on NW 2nd Street, one block northeast of West Ward School.
Date: unknown

Visitors Arriving in Our City

Description: The boy shown near the center of the picture is 10-year-old George Calvin Hazelwood, who was a newsboy at the time. The man beside the boy is Louis Farris, who worked for the Hazelwood and C. W. Massie families of Palo Pinto. They are meeting the train to pick up the daily newspapers in 1920. The crowd is typical of the week-end visitors arriving from the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. The Weatherford, Mineral Wells & Northwestern Railway Company reported 190,210 passengers for the year 1920. (This information came from page 92 of Art Weaver's "Time Was in Mineral Wells.")
Date: unknown

[W. W. Howard's Hardware Store]

Description: The Howard Hardware store was once located at 101 E. Hubbard Street. The hanging electric lights, the tea table to the left, the double row of "air-tight" stoves ranks down the center aisle all strongly suggest that the photograph was taken in the early twentieth century. The dimness of the photograph makes discerning further items on sale difficult. Persons identified in picture are: Helen Howard, Flora Howard, A. L. Howard and one unidentified person.
Date: unknown

[The Wagley Bath House]

Description: The Wagley Mineral Baths, formerly known as the Bimini Bath House, was located at 114 NW 4th Street, the N.E. corner of NW 1st Avenue and NW 4th Street. It was constructed by Goodrum, Murphy and Croft. It was still standing in 1974, when A.F. Weaver's book "TIME WAS In Mineral Wells" was first published. An early picture of the building appears on page 129 of "Time Was in Mineral Wells." It was demolished in the late 1980's or early 1990's.
Date: unknown

[Walker's Grocery and Market]

Description: Shown here is the J.J. Walker Grocery & Market, once located at 614 Southeast 6th Avenue. The picture is featured in "Time Was in Mineral Wells" on page 176. The identities of the three people pictured is not known at this [2015] time. Note, however, the hand-operated gasoline pumps, the oil pumps in the background, and a sign that advertises Texaco gasoline at 18 cents per gallon!
Date: unknown