Boyce Ditto Public Library - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

Pictorial History of Fort Wolters, Volume 19: Foreign Students

Description: This volume features photographs of foreign military students attending the U.S. Army Primary Helicopter Training School. Students came from Australia, United Kingdom, Burma, Chile, France, Germany, Guatemala, Indonesia, Iran, Italy, Laos, Malaysia, Mexico, Pakistan, Peru, Turkey, and Vietnam.
Date: unknown
Creator: Casper, Willie H., Jr.
Item Type: Book

The Piedmont Hotel [The First Piedmont Hotel]

Description: We have here a picture (perhaps an early photograph) of the first Piedmont Hotel,where the Baker Hotel Garage is presently [2015]. It was built by a colonel R.W. Duke of Weatherford, Texas He purchased the block and built this frame hotel. Later on, a large brick building was put in its place.This photograph appears on page 104 of A.F. Weaver's book "TIME WAS In Mineral Wells," Second Edition, 1988.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph

Piedmont Hotel - [The Second Piedmont Hotel]

Description: This photograph occurs on page 104 of "Time Was in Mineral Wells" (first edition) by A. F. Weaver. The caption reads: "The Second Piedmont Hotel located on 2nd Avenue [sic] and East Hubbard was demolished to give room for the Baker Hotel Garage. It was used as an office for the Army Engineers during the construction of Possum Kingdom Dam." This hotel was probably located on the same site as the first Piedmont Hotel, which was built by a Colonel Duke of Weatherford, Texas, (a two story wooden structure) a picture of which is also on page 104 of the same edition of "Time Was in Mineral Wells."
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph

[A Play Day at Elmhurst Park]

Description: Girls are shown playing a basketball game in Mineral Wells' Elmhurst Park, about 1910. The scene catches a "Jump Ball" during progress of the game. Please note the women's uniforms, and also the enthusiastic crowd.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph

["The Play Place of The South"]

Description: An avioculum (bird's eye-view) of Mineral Wells, Texas, taken from East mountain and looking west-southwest. In the middle foreground are: The Crazy Flats and the third Crazy Water Drinking Pavilion. The "Crazy" Businesses burned in 1925, and the present hotel that replaced them covers the entire city block. It has since been converted [2007] to a Retirement Home. Visible also are the First Presbyterian Church, which was erected in 1909; and the Old High School, erected in 1915.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph

[A Portrait Presentation at KORC]

Description: Mrs. Jess (Ruby) Shattles presents a photographic picture of Achilles Corcanges, founder and owner of radio station KORC in Mineral Wells to the same Mr. Corcanges. Mrs. Shattles owned and operated Pavilion Studio at 412 N. Oak Avenue. The picture was taken about 1946, when station KORC opened. The unidentified gentleman, with his back to the photographer,on the left is believed to be Mr. Shattles.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph

Post Offfice, Mineral Wells, Texas, 1930 (?)

Description: This building once housed the third Post Office in Mineral Wells. The body of the photograph is marked POST OFFICE MINERAL WELLS, TEXAS 1936. Please observe the automobiles parked in front, on the sloping street. It was the issue of insufficient parking that caused the Post Office to move. The building presently [2013] houses the Women's Club.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph

[Poston's Dry Goods, 10 of 15: Inside View of Store]

Description: A photograph of Will Poston and a cashier inside Poston Dry Goods store, 107 N. Oak Avenue, Mineral Wells, Texas. [Will Poston is in cashier's/accountant's office. The cashier is preparing to pull a cord to set the cash trolley system in motion Piles of trousers take up the foreground] A central cashier's stand was what is now known as "state of the art" near the middle of twentieth century. This one was located in a corner of the mens' trousers department. The historic Poston store is now a Mineral Wells annex of the Palo Pinto County courthouse.
Date: unknown
Creator: A. F. Weaver
Item Type: Photograph

[The R. B. Preston Building]

Description: Written on back of the photograph is: "R.B. Preston Building[,] Corner of Mesquite & Wall." A 1909 City Directory lists the address of the Preston Building as 110-116 North Mesquite, currently the location of the Baker Hotel, built at this location in 1929. The back of a duplicate picture indicates that the building was the Masonic Building; the 1909 directory lists the Masonic Hall at 113 S. Mesquite--the next block south.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph

[A Railroad Engine]

Description: This picture illustrates engine Number 5 of the Weatherford, Mineral Wells and Northwestern Railroad in action. Please observe the unusually small cowcatcher and the lack of a visible whistle atop the steam dome. Further information about it may be found in Weaver's "Time Was in Mineral Wells", second edition, on page 91.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph

The Raines Building, Mineral Wells

Description: The Raines Building located at 101 N.E. 1st Avenue, Mineral Wells, Texas, was once a drug store, then a department store, later Pemberton's Appliance Store; in 1975 it was Calhoun Furniture Company and in 2008 is the home of Downtown Video. This photograph is found on page 126 of "Time Was..." by A. F. Weaver. Note the clothing of the people, the absence of any traffic, and the bunting on the building. A legend in white ink on the lower left-hand corner of the photograph reads: Texas Trade Review."
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph

[The Ray Hamilton Home - 1016 SW 7th Avenue]

Description: The Ray Hamilton Home at 1016 SW 7th Avenue, Mineral Wells, Texas. The style is Queen Anne, free classic. Please note the inset arches and the Palladian windows. The style was popular around the turn of the twentieth century. The house shows very slight evidence of remodeling.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph

Remember the Good Old Times Back in 1906-1907 [Newspaper Article]

Description: A "Mineral Wells Index" newspaper article, dated 1933, it is titled: "Remember the Good Old Days Back in 1906-1907", showing two views of Elmhurst Park. One view shows an automobile and streetcar at the entrance; and the other shows the casino located in the park, with the lake in the foreground.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Clipping

The Right Ticket

Description: An old advertisement for Mineral Wells, touting the "pleasures" to be had in the city. The lady's crown displays the legend "Health & Pleasure." The "Pleasures" obtainable in the city need not be discussed, as they are plainly describedd in the picture, which may be found on page 91 of the second edition of A. F. Weaver's book, "Time Was..."
Date: unknown
Item Type: Artwork

[A Rock Outcrop on Mineral Wells "Mountain"]

Description: A rock outcrop, and vegetation typical of the hills (local custom calls them "Mountains") in Mineral Wells. Some of the houses of the town can be seen through the bushes. This photograph is one of 17 negatives that were in an envelope from Charles W. Simonds (Route 5, Box 43, Norman, Oklahoma, 73069), addressed to A.F. Weaver Photography and postmarked Aug. 4, 1975. Some telephone numbers and "Father - C.W. Simonds (Clarence Winfield)" were also on the envelope.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph

[The Rock School Bell]

Description: The "Little Rock School" was Mineral Wells' first public school, built in 1884. The school bell, mounted in a bell tower atop the building, called students to class by ringing 10 minutes before school time; and again at the beginning of the class period. It is now currently on display at the Little Rock School Museum, dedicated to preserving the history of Mineral Wells. This picture is found on page 172 of A. F. Weaver's book "TIME WAS In Mineral Wells", First Edition, with a notation: "The original bell for the old 'Rock School' was found years later in the water department warehouse. R. L. (Pete) Cook is on the left and Derrell Stricklin is on the right."
Date: unknown
Creator: A. F. Weaver
Item Type: Photograph