Letter from Les Traweek (the President of the Weatherford Chamber of Commerce) to Colonel E. P. Fleming Jr., congratulating the U.S. Army Primary Helicopter Center on their 11th anniversary. On the back of the letter is a stamp giving the Boyce-Ditto Public Library's address.
This volume includes a brief history (and many photographs) of Fort Wolters' 84th Military Police Detachment, Fire Department, Training Aids, 328th Army Band, Weather Squadron, Recreation, Prisoner of War Camp 1943-1945, Nike, Camp Wolters Enterprise, and Parks.
This volume details the role that the Southern Airways Company played in their contracts for Fort Wolters from 1956-1968. The volume includes biographies of key administrators of Southern Airways, a list of employees, a list of reunion attendees, and a time-line of key events.
This volume details the curriculum at the U.S. Army Primary Helicopter Training School. It includes a chart of training concepts, a school brigade organizational chart, and a description of the 16-week training course.
Rock Creek in Parker County was dammed up in 1919 to form Lake Mineral Wells, the third lake built as a water-supply for the popular resort town. This photograph appears to be on the east side of the lake where boat docks were located. The lake has been a popular recreation area from the beginning, and is now part of Mineral Wells State Park.
The visiting Mineral Wells High School football team had just defeated the Weatherford Kangaroos 20 to 6 [in 1947 or 1948? A defeat of 30 to 0 in 1946 is also recorded.] in their annual football rivalry. The exact date of this event remains unknown as of 2013. Mayor George Barber of Mineral Wells, is enjoying a victor's ride, supplied by the Mayor of Weatherford, across the football field at Weatherford Stadium. The wheelbarrow, used in payment of the wager between rival mayors, was decorated for this purpose. Such whimsical wagering (and the high jinks that accompany the pay-off) is common in Texas High School football.
This volume includes a time-line of events that took place in Fort Wolters from 1921 to 1973, including biographies of personnel, photographs, diagrams and a Roster of Infantry Replacement Center Officers from 1941.
This volume consists of photographs and diagrams of stage fields such as Sundance, Mustang, Rawhide, Da Nang, Phu Loi, Soc Trang, and many others. The U.S. Army Primary Helicopter School utilized approximately 1,350 square miles of airspace.
This volume includes a list of abbreviations, a list of Fort Wolters buildings and facilities (with square footage and cost of construction), a detailed history of Fort Wolters; and information on recreational activities, such as the Fort Wolter's Boots & Saddle Club, the Bowling Alley, and Skeet Range.
Photograph of the Civic League Island at Lake Mineral Wells, four miles east of Mineral Wells, Texas, with a rustic bridge connecting the two small islands, picnic tables, and grilles. In the foreground, there are two small boats with canopies, carrying passengers on the water of the lake. A forested shoreline is visible in the background of the image.
Shown here is the lower end of the spillway from Lake Mineral Wells after the flood in March 1976. The dam is barely visible at the upper end of the spillway in the middle of the picture. The road directly below the dam is under water, and is not visible in any other pictures of this flood. It suffered such severe damage that it had to be rebuilt.
Lake Mineral Wells, Mineral Wells State Park, is shown here in flood stage. Heavy spring rains dumped 7.2 inches of rainfall into the area over a violent week-end in March 1976, resulting in a flood that claimed 24 lives in fire- and water-related incidents. The dam is visible on the far left side of the picture, with water flowing over it. Flood waters cover a large part of the land between the photographer and the dam. The public boat ramp and fueling station are on the peninsula at the far right side of the picture. The picture is part of a group of films labeled "1977", but related news articles give the date as March of the previous year.
An automobile--presumably of the late 1930's--is parked by a building in the process of being built. Workmen may be seen at the site. A legend under the original reads: "Buildings seem to literally spring from the earth when the construction of the then Camp Wolters began in November, 1940. The camp was completed in less than four months and became the nation's largest infantry Replacement Training Center. Construction cost was approximately $14,200,000."
This dialog allows you to filter your current search.
Each of the Years listed note their name and the number of records that will be limited down to if you choose that option.
The list can be sorted by name or the count.