Description: Tracks for electric trolley are shown here, in about 1906, being laid along Hubbard Street, at the corner of Oak Avenue and looking east. The trolley system ran south to Elmhurst Park. The cross-line, being shown here, ran to Elmwood cemetery. Pollard creek was dammed up to form a lake around which a casino, dance pavilion, race track for horses, and playground were built. Elmhurst Park, as it was called, was abandoned when the trolley ceased operations . The panic of 1907 apparently brought ruination to Mr. Beardsley's other operations. Numerous lawsuits were brought against him, and his trustee, lawsuits which continued beyond his death in 1911.
Item Type: Photograph