This picture is an illustration of the south side of the 100 block of West Hubbard Street, looking southeast. The north side (and back view) of Cole's Florist and Hill's Style Shop can be seen at the center of the picture. Lynch Plaza, the darker brick building, is in the left middle background. Oak Avenue (U.S. Highway 281) extends north-south between Cole's House of Flowers and Lynch Plaza. Cole's occupies the site of the former Davidson Hardware, which burned along with the Damron Hotel in 1975. Lynch Plaza, the site of the mineral-water discovery well, was built on the site where the former Oxford Hotel burned in 1983. The parking lot seen in the right foreground of the picture was the site of the Damron Hotel.
This picture, dated September 19, 1907, shows the Carlsbad Well at 415 NW 1st Avenue, and west of the Crazy Well drinking pavilion. It was one of the first drinking pavilions in Mineral Wells, and boasted that the water "Makes a man love HIS [sic] wife, makes a wife love HER [sic] husband/ Robs the divorce court of its business/ Takes the temper out of red-headed people/ Puts ginger into ginks/ and pepper into plodders."
The Carlsbad (also known as the Texas Carlsbad Well), one of the early drinking pavilions in Mineral Wells, was located at 415 NW 1st Avenue, directly across the street and west of the first Crazy Well pavilion. It was openled in 1901 by Lycurgus Smith, one of the people who claimed improvement of his health by drinking the mineral water. . The Carlsbad slogan was: "Makes a man love HIS [sic] wife/ Makes a wife love HER [sic] husband/ Robs the divorce court of its business/ Takes the temper out of red-headed people/ Puts ginger into ginks/ And pepper into plodders." The pavilion was prominent in several pictures around the turn of the century; this picture--labeled "Sept. 19/07" in ink--was from an advertisement by the Yeager Drug Company. This early pavilion had been demolished by 1911, and replaced by a larger brick structure.
This photograph of downtown Mineral Wells was taken looking north on Oak Avenue (US Highway 281) from SE 1st Street (US Highway 180 E). The visible buildings are: (on the left), Hill's Ladies' Apparel, Cole's House of Flowers, (at the intersecting street, [Hubbard Street--US Hwy. 180 W]), and George's Men's Store. Lynch Plaza and a parking lot are on the right, with the Texas Historical Commission marker on the wall in the lower right-hand corner commemorating the first mineral-water well in the City. In the background, the First State Bank can also be seen (also on the intersecting Hubbard Street, US Highway 180 W.)
This photograph of downtown Mineral Wells shows (left to right): Hill's Ladies' Apparel; Cole's House of flowers; (Intersecting street): George's Man's Shop; the Professional Building (formerly the Texas Theater); Poston's Dry Goods;Palace Saloon; Marsden's Shoe Store (former Gem theater). The Crazy Hotel is visible in the background.
This photograph shows downtown Mineral Wells. The dominant building is Mineral Wells Office Supply (formerly Lattner Funeral Home), followed by R.P.'s Western Outlet; next door: Jann's Boutique; next, Jann's Fashions. Next is Hill's Style Shoppe.
This photograph of Lynch Plaza and The First State Bank (now Home Health in 2008) was taken from the 100 block of South Oak Street. The Gentleman's Closet is next to the bank (The store is vacant as of 2008). The Baker Hotel can be seen above Lynch Plaza, at the corner of E. Hubbard and S. Oak Streets.
Lynch Plaza, in the center of this picture, is located on the corner of North Oak and East Hubbard Streets. This structure, originally called the Firstron Building, replaced the First National Bank at this location. The bank was located in the northwest corner of the Oxford Hotel. The hotel building, including the bank, was destroyed by fire in 1983.