Boyce Ditto Public Library - 380 Matching Results

Search Results

[A Sporting Event]

Description: A group of people watching a pole-vaulting event is shown here. A vaulter goes over a crossbar set at approximately 10 feet in this picture. The covered area in the background is the Dance Pavilion at Elmhurst Park (also the site of the Palo Pinto County Fair at this early date). Two ladies, with their backs to the camera, at the rear of the crowd wear ladies' basketball uniforms of the day. The horse and buggy were a standard mode of transportation at this time--about 1910.
Date: unknown

[The Star House]

Description: The Star House was built by Mr. and Mrs. J.J. Ramsey about 1900, and contained 34 rooms. Copy around the picture (unfortunately not visible here) lists the rates at $1.25 per day, or $7 to $8 per week. A.F. Weaver (in "TIME WAS in Mineral Wells...") locates this hotel at "315 Coke Street" [sic], but Polk's Directory for 1909, 1920 and 1927 list no such person as "J.J. Ramsey", or a "Star House" located at the address given by Weaver. The 1909 Polk's Directory lists a "Star House" at 209 Elm Street (NW 2nd Avenue), with the proprietor named as "R. L. Neal."
Date: unknown

[The Star House]

Description: The Star House was built about 1900, and owned by Mr. and Mrs. J.J. Ramsey. This 34-room hotel, situated at 315 Coke Street,(since re-named NW 2nd Street), was one of Mineral Wells' early hotels. The Star House was located 2 blocks east of the hotel on Mesquite Street (now NE 2nd Avenue), north of the current Baker Hotel. The Star House was destroyed by fire.
Date: unknown

[A Street Scene From the Early 20th Century]

Description: A picture of North Oak Street, taken in the early 20th century is shown here. Cars are present on the street,(note the curb) which was paved in 1914. An electrical power line, in the left middle of the photograph, burned March 15, 1925. The Hexagon Hotel may be seen obscurely at the edge of the business district at the lower far right of the photograph.
Date: unknown

[A Street Scene: Highways 281 and 180]

Description: A picture, looking north on US Highway 281 from NW 1st Street to its intersection with US highway 180 (Hubbard Street). The first building on the right is Lynch Plaza, the location of the discovery of the mineral water well that gave Mineral Wells its name and made it the leading health spa in the state. Other businesses are: Cole's Florist on the west (left) corner of the block opposite Lynch Plaza, Poston's Dry goods (the low building in middle of block north of Cole's), First State Bank on the corner north of Lynch Plaza. The Crazy Hotel can be seen in the distance; three blocks up the street on the left. Oak Street was widened, with turn lanes, in 2005.
Date: 2005

[A String and Drum Band]

Description: This picture shows 18 people, 2 of whom appear to be adults. Visible are a snare drum, bass drum, cymbals, triangle, violins, lutes, bass viol and viola--and an anvil. The background appears to be painted. Further information about this band might have been presently [2012 ]lacking.
Date: unknown

[Swimming at Lovers Retreat]

Description: Individuals are shown boating and swimming in Eagle Creek at Lovers Retreat, four miles west of Palo Pinto. The large swimming/fishing area of the creek is separated from the beautiful picnic area to the south of the creek (and to the right in the photograph), and also from a spectacular boulder field north of the creek. A suspension foot-bridge spanned Eagle Creek in this area. This view is from the suspension bridge, looking east on Eagle Creek.
Date: unknown

The Thatch

Description: This photograph presents a conundrum. The building itself appears to be an eclectic mixture of Gothic Revival and Queen Anne (Spindle work subclass) styles. Advertising copy from around the picture relates that The Thatch was operated by Mrs. W. G. Wright. The building was said to be located "Within one block of the famous Gibson and Sangcura pavilions" (the 700 block of NW 2nd Avenue and the 800 block of NW 2nd Avenue, respectively). Polk's Directory for 1909 fails to record The Thatch, or Mrs. Wright, as also fail the directories for 1920, 1924, and 1927. No mention of the Thatch appears in A.F. Weaver's "Time was in Mineral Wells...." The unpaved roads in front of the hotel suggest that the picture was taken before 1914. Copy around the picture (not visible here) remark that the building was "Erected two years ago", but no firm date may be deduced from that information.
Date: unknown

[Thelma Doss Interviews Claude Gardner]

Description: Thelma Doss interviews the writer Claude Garner on KORC Radio. Looking on are (left) W. Lions; (center) Corcanges [founder & owner of the station]; (right)Orval Shore. KORC radio broadcast first on December 5, 1946. Its name was changed to KJSA-AM in 1973. This picture is featured in "Time Was in Mineral Wells" on page 185.
Date: unknown

[The Thompson House, at 215 NE 2nd Street]

Description: Shown here is a photograph of the front of the Thompson House (later the "Cunningham House"), a two-story, Queen Anne-style home located at 215 NE 2nd Street in Mineral Wells, Texas, just north of the Baker Hotel. Architectural elements include decorative woodwork around the eaves in the gable ends and across the front porch, and cutaway bays on the left of the photograph. A cupola serves in place of the tower that is characteristic of Queen Anne styles.
Date: February 1974
Location Info:

[Three Women and a Man In Front of a Car]

Description: Three unknown women and a man are shown standing in front of a large automobile. The man sports a celluloid collar & a straw hat. One lady carries a reticule, another an umbrella. Benches are visible behind them all. The date of the picture is also unknown, but the early 'twenties of the twentieth century is conjectured.
Date: unknown

[Three Women at a Swimming Pool]

Description: Three women are shown at the "old" Mineral Wells City Pool. A male lifeguard, to their right, looks on unconcernedly. Only one woman can be identified: Jill Hickey, Mineral Wells High School graduate of 1966,the woman on the right, now Jill Hickey Moore of Stafford, Texas.
Date: April 29, 1967

[The Thurber Smokestack and Related Buildings]

Description: Thurber, Texas: A dirt road meets another road in distance; a smoke stack stands in distance; a red fire-house with white roof shows to left. A building, in the far left, now [2008] houses the eponymous Smokestack Cafe. An historic plaque can be seen at the base of the smokestack, but it cannot be read from this photograph.
Date: unknown

[The Thurber Tipple and Thurber Monument]

Description: Photograph of buildings in Thurber, Texas, taken from a parking lot. A gasoline station is on the left; it has a second story serving as an overhang as well as a taller platform with a railing and the words "Thurber Tipple" written near the roof. A car is parked at the gasoline station and a couple is looking inside the engine. The Thurber smokestack is visible near the center of the photograph and several unidentified buildings are on the left. Three other cars are parked on the left side of the photograph.
Date: August 4, 1974
Location Info: