Boyce Ditto Public Library - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

[The St. Nicholas Hotel]

Description: A group of men stand in front of the St. Nicholas Hotel. A colophon at the lower right designates this picture as a photographic souvenir from Minerals Wells, taken by Dan W. Evans. The building had a varied history. It was first (in 1904) an unnamed two-and-one-half-story sanitarium, then re-named the St. Nicholas Hotel, and then later it became the Delaware Hotel. It was located at N. Oak and NE 3rd Street. The building was eventually consumed by fire on October of 1907. The back of photograph has a T and P Railway logotype and this information about the Jericho Fine Photo Company: "Mountain and Donkey Groups, View Souvenirs and Scenery of Min-Wells, Kodak Supplies and Finishing, Button and Stamp Photos a Specialty. Dan W. Evans Prop. Min Wells, Tex."
Date: 1907?
Creator: Dan W. Evans

St. Nicholas Hotel

Description: A note with the picture states: The original picture was re-done and re-named the "Delaware Hotel." This picture appears on page 104 in "Time Was..." The building was located at 316 N. Oak Avenue, Mineral Wells, Texas. It was eventually destroyed by fire. A report in the 1911 Weatherford Herald states that an opera house would be built to replace the "Auditorium"--probably the Chautauqua building nearby. The opera house was never built, and the Chautauqua building survived the hotel.
Date: unknown

The Stage in the Casino [Elmhurst Parkl]

Description: This picture illustrates the stage in the casino at Elmhurst Park. Several signs above the stage advertise the (Cafe) Royal, furniture, and the Palace Bar. Two unidentified women and one man stand on the stage. It appears on page 187 of A.F. Weaver's book "TIME WAS In Mineral Wells", second edition, 1988.
Date: unknown

Stamps & Phillipt [sic] Demonstrating Their Automatic

Description: Stamps and Phillips, inventors, demonstrating their Storm Alarm invention. Note that "Phillips" is spelled with one "l" and a "t" on the hand-written caption. The car is sitting in front of the second Carlsbad drinking pavilion on W. Watts Street (now NW 4th Street.) The photograph was taken during the 1920's.
Date: unknown

Standard Park

Description: The Standard Park not only had a swimming pool, but a movie theater and dancing pavilion, as well, for the entertainment of health-seekers. A trolley to it operated at 600 North Oak Street from 1907 to 1913. (Note the Kingsley Hotel above and left of the Standard, built into the side of East Mountain--later destroyed by fire.) First known as the Vichy Well and Natatorium, then later as the Beach, the Standard was torn down in World War II; and a USO Club was built here for soldiers at Camp Wolters. The USO building was given to the city after the war, and renamed the North Oak Community Center. The Crazy Water Festival Committee is currently [2003] attempting to restore the Community Center.
Date: 1913?

Standard Park [and Amusement Park]

Description: A Trolley went by Standard Park and Standard Pavilion before 1913. A popular place,the Standard had a swimming pool, amphitheater, dancing and playgrounds. The North Oak Community is now at this location. Information was taken from A.F Weaver's "Time Was" second edition.
Date: 1913?

Standard [Well and Amusement Park]

Description: Formerly the Vichy Well, it was re-named the Standard Well and Amusement Park. Note the large mineral water bottle sign in the lower right hand corner of the picture. The building was torn down during World War II, and replaced by USO Club. The North Oak Community Center is at this location as of 2008. Information about it was taken from A.F. Weaver "Time Was" page 67.
Date: 1942?

Star House

Description: The Star House was built about 1900,and owned by Mr. and Mrs. J. J. Ramsey. This 34-room hotel was situated at 315 Coke Street. A colophon at the bottom of the picture, barely legible, reads: "1903 Ramsey House Mineral Wells, Texas John Ramsey Ima Ramsey." This picture differs from the last one only insofar as the porch seems to have been extended across the front of the building. This photograph appears on page 105 of "Time Was in Mineral Wells", Second Edition.
Date: unknown

[The Star House]

Description: The Star House was built about 1900, and owned by Mr. and Mrs. J.J. Ramsey. This 34-room hotel, situated at 315 Coke Street,(since re-named NW 2nd Street), was one of Mineral Wells' early hotels. The Star House also operated the Star Well, located 2 blocks east of the hotel on Mesquite Street (now NE 2nd Avenue), north of the current Baker Hotel. The Star House was destroyed by fire.
Date: unknown

The Star Well Water Company

Description: The Star Well Water Company was located in the 200 block of NE 1st Avenue (then called "Mesquite Street"). A. F. Weaver remarks on page 53 of "Time Was...," that "Selling mineral water and establishing bath houses was [sic] big business for 'The Nations Greatest Health Resort'."
Date: unknown

Star Well (Winter Scene)

Description: "Winter Scene--Shipping Star Well Water--From Min Wells Texas" The Star Well was located at the northeast corner of the intersection of NE 1st Street and NE 1st Avenue, across the street and north of the Baker Hotel. The telephone building is currently [2008] located there. A "date", handwritten on the bottom right corner of image, reads--possibly--"1899", which would explain the unpaved street and the lack of automobiles.
Date: 1899?

Street Parade / West Texas C. of C. Convention / Mineral Wells 1925

Description: A parade on North Oak Avenue in Mineral Wells, Texas is the subject of this picture. Businesses partaking of it include Poston Dry Goods, a bath house, the Hexagon Hotel, Palace Drugs, American Cafe, and the Caldwell Hotel. American flags, Texas flags, and various banners are hanging from the buildings. The parade is moving south (while the picture is looking north) on N. Oak Avenue, at its intersection with SE 1st Street It was held during the West Texas Chamber of Commerce Convention of 1925. The photograph bears the colophon of the Basil Clemens Photo Company of Breckenridge, Texas.
Date: unknown
Creator: Clemons, Basil

[ A Street Scene]

Description: This picture comes from one of 17 (4X4) negatives that were found in an envelope from Charles W. Simonds (Route 5, Box 43, Norman, Oklahoma, 73069), postmarked Aug. 4, 1975, and addressed to A.F. Weaver Photography. Also on the envelope, are some telephone numbers and "Father - C.W. Simonds (Clarence Winfield.) The scene is believed to show some of the large homes on the east slope of West Mountain, in the 600 block of NW 6th Street, taken at about the time of their construction. The home in the foreground appears to be the site of the former Episcopal Parsonage (the church adjoins the parsonage to the north (left of the picture).
Date: unknown
Creator: Clarence Winfield Simonds

[A Street Scene From the Early 20th Century]

Description: A picture of North Oak Street, taken in the early 20th century is shown here. Cars are present on the street,(note the curb) which was paved in 1914. An electrical power line, in the left middle of the photograph, burned March 15, 1925. The Hexagon Hotel may be seen obscurely at the edge of the business district at the lower far right of the photograph.
Date: unknown

[A Street Scene: Highways 281 and 180]

Description: A picture, looking north on US Highway 281 from NW 1st Street to its intersection with US highway 180 (Hubbard Street). The first building on the right is Lynch Plaza, the location of the discovery of the mineral water well that gave Mineral Wells its name and made it the leading health spa in the state. Other businesses are: Cole's Florist on the west (left) corner of the block opposite Lynch Plaza, Poston's Dry goods (the low building in middle of block north of Cole's), First State Bank on the corner north of Lynch Plaza. The Crazy Hotel can be seen in the distance; three blocks up the street on the left. Oak Street was widened, with turn lanes, in 2005.
Date: 2005

[A Street Scene, Taken About the 1930's]

Description: This photograph illustrates the "New" Crazy Hotel on North Oak Avenue, which opened in 1927 after the earlier hotel burned March 15, 1925. Many automobiles typical of the period can be seen on the street. Note the following businesses: The Tom Moore Drug Company, a barber shop, a cafe, Young's Studio, a bath house, and the Crazy Drug.
Date: 1927?

[A Streetcar at Elmhurst Park]

Description: Information taken from the back of the photograph reads: "Entrance to Elmhurst Park with trolley car. Picture taken around 1910. Entrance to the park with a swinging bridge over Pollard Creek later taken over and made into the Mineral Wells dump grounds. About 2 miles southwest of Mineral Wells."
Date: 1910?

[A String and Drum Band]

Description: This picture shows 18 people, 2 of whom appear to be adults. Visible are a snare drum, bass drum, cymbals, triangle, violins, lutes, bass viol and viola--and an anvil. The background appears to be painted. Further information about this band might have been presently [2012 ]lacking.
Date: unknown

[The Sunshine Special]

Description: A locomotive engine pulls the Texas & Pacific "Red Eye" passenger train, named The Sunshine Special. These business-friendly trains were scheduled to arrive in the Dallas/Ft Worth area at about 9 AM from both the east and the west. This picture was taken by A.F. Weaver at Millsap, Texas in 1940. It was published in the Rotogravure section of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. The Series 700- (714-) series engine shown was replaced a few years later by larger, more powerful Series 600 engines capable of greater speed.
Date: 1940
Creator: Weaver, A.F.

[A Supervisor at the Crazy Bottling/Crystals Plant]

Description: Identifying information on this photograph is lacking, but it appears to portray a supervisor in the Crazy Bottling/Crystals Plant catching up on the paperwork produced by a day's business.
Date: 1930?/1939?