Photograph, taken in 2000, of the "bimah" or altar in the main sanctuary at Beth-El Congregation, 207 W. Broadway, Fort Worth. The building was constructed in 1920, rebuilt in 1948 after a fire gutted the interior, and remodeled in 1981. The 1948 rebuilding and redesign were by the Hungarian-American interior designer Erno Fabry. His design ideas include the stone wall behind the altar, built with reddish Colorado travertine, the ark (which contained the Torahs) framed with gray-veined cremo-Italian marble, as well as the gate with its Art Deco design, and the copper-colored menorahs flanking the ark. In 1981, architect-designer John Mike Cohen of St. Louis oversaw a major remodeling of the sanctuary with peach carpet, chairs, and fiberglass lights resembling a flock of dove.
Photograph of Beth-El's Building Committee. Four of the committee members are seated around a wooden table, the other four members are standing behind them. Handwritten notes on the back of the photograph say "Briarhaven Planning Committee" "from Len S. Construction book" and list the persons in the photo from left to right. Front row: Lynny Sankary, [Committee Chairman] Irwin Krauss, Judith Cohen, Billy Rosenthal Back row: Ken Baum, Rabbi Ralph Mecklenburger, Dr. Ira Hollander, Shelden Anisman.
Photograph of Beth-El's Building Committee. The committee members are standing around a wooden table looking at the building plans. Handwritten notes on the back of the photograph say "Briarhaven Planning Committee" "from Len S. Construction book" and list the persons in the photo from left to right. Clockwise from left: David Stanford (architect), [Committee Chairman] Irwin Krauss, Ken Baum, Lynny Sankary, Sheldon Anisman, Jane Manning & Bob Wagnon (designers), Rabbi Ralph Mecklenburger, Judith Cohen.
Photograph of Temple Beth-El, the first house of worship for Beth-El, Fort Worth's Reform Jewish congregation. It was a two-story, neo-classical synagogue constructed of wood and stucco. Above the columned entrance was a wooden Star of David, beneath which were the Hebrew words "Y'he Or," meaning "Let There Be Light." Handwritten notes on the back of the photograph say, "Beth-El Congregation's 1st synagogue; built 1908 @ 5th & Taylor Streets. Photo from The Jewish Monitor, 1915. Greek Revival Style, The Hebrew Lettering says: 'Let there be light.'"
Photograph of the entrance to the synagogue at 207 W. Broadway Ave. that served Beth-El Congregation from 1920 to 2000. The building has two stories plus a basement with a social hall and kitchen. It is constructed of red brick and limestone. In the photo, the facade has a frieze above the entry with a quote from Psalms ("Give Ear, O Lord, Unto My Prayer") as well as two limestone menorahs above the quotation. The stained-glass windows on the front and side of the building are protected by storm windows. This image shows the front of the building shortly before the congregation moved to a new location across town. Several of the decorative features, particularly the frieze and limestone arches, are stained with black marks from 80 years of air pollution. When the congregation moved in August of 2000, the frieze, menorahs, and a Ten-Commandment carving were removed from the facade and replaced with red brick.
Photograph of the front entrance of the second house of worship for Beth-El Congregation, Fort Worth's Reform Jewish congregation. The two-story building at 207 W. Broadway Ave., was constructed with red brick and limestone accents. The temple's facade has a frieze above the entry with a quote from Psalms ("Give Ear, O Lord, Unto My Prayer") as well as two menorahs above the entrance. There are many stained-glass windows on the front and side of the building, protected by storm windows. At the far right of the photograph, Broadway Baptist Church is visible behind the synagogue. There is also a car in the bottom right corner, and a lamppost with the street names "Galveston" and "W. Broadway" in the foreground.
Photograph of the second synagogue of Beth-El Congregation, Fort Worth's Reform Jewish house of worship. The photo appears to have been taken in 1948 after the temple was refurbished due to a 1946 fire that gutted the interior. The red-brick building, at 207 W. Broadway Ave., has two-stories plus a basement with a social hall and kitchen. The building's facade has a frieze above the entry with a quote from Psalms ("Give Ear, O Lord, Unto My Prayer") as well as two menorahs above the frieze. There are also stained-glass windows around the entrance and along the length of the building. A handwritten note on the back of the photo says, "Exterior 2nd Temple. 207 W. Broadway."
Photograph of the cake celebrating Beth-El Congregation's fiftieth anniversary, from 1902 to 1952. The cake is shaped like a book, a popular cake design in the 1950s. The left side of the cake reads "Fiftieth Anniversary" and the right reads "Beth-El Congregation 1902 - 1952."
First confirmation class of Beth-El Congregation, 1905, Fort Worth.The six girls are dressed in lacy white dresses, have large white bows in their hair, and hold bouquets of flowers. The 3 boys and the rabbi wear white ties and dark suits. Front Row: Jennie Levenson (Rosenthal), Erma Carb (Nathan), Gladys Carb (Gugenheim), Bessie Brown (Carb), Marguerite Weltman Back Row: Nathan Schulitz, Rabbi Joseph Jasin, Rose Laskin, Byron Gernsbacher, Roy Gernsbacher
Confirmation class of 1909, Beth-El Congregation, Fort Worth. The six girls, dressed in frilly white dresses, hold confirmation bibles and rolled-up confirmation certificates. At their feet are baskets of flowers. The four boys, standing with the rabbi at the center, hold confirmation certificates. Some of the boys have dark ties, and others, white ties. Front Row: Sara Gernsbacher, Hazel Brann, Dora Eckert (Herman), Lena Solomon (Gernsbacher) Back Row: Rufus Goldstucker, (first name?) Blumberg, Rabbi George Zepin, (first name?) Lasker, Sol Gordon.
Confirmation class of 1933 standing at the altar of the Beth-El Synagogue at 207 W. Broadway Ave., Fort Worth. This is the first year that the confirmands wore robes -- white for the girls and black for the boys. From left: Sylvia Levine, Jerome Holland, Lila Letwin (Tuchin), Bill Carb, Dorothy Davis, Ivan Miller, Bernice Gressman (Meyerson), Rabbi Harry Merfeld, Minette Rosenthal (Urbach), Edward Martin, Jayne Davidson (Slatkin), Bill Gilbert, Jane Gernsbacher (Meyerson), David Samson, Helen Klar (Gordon). In the background are the choir loft and pipe organ. This is one of the few photographs that show the interior of the original synagogue, which was gutted by fire in 1946.
Confirmation class of 1946 standing in the sanctuary of Beth-El Congregation, 207 W. Broadway, Fort Worth. This is the last photo of the interior of the building before it was gutted by fire in the summer of 1946. Left to right: Lee Laves, Audrey Groginski, Selma Tiras, Gilbert Friedson, Miriam "Mimi" Bronstein (Klotz), Barbara Faye Cohn, Charlene Rosenthal, Samuel Gilbert, Rabbi Samuel D. Soskin, Beth-El President Raymond Cohen, Danny Glazer, Harriett Friedson, Dorothy Adler, Margot Myers (Feld), Bernard Rosenstein, Diane Soskin, Barbara Rubenstein, Jerald Blum.
Confirmation Class of 1953 standing together at Beth-El Congregation, 207 W. Broadway, Ft. Worth. Left to right: William Paul Siegel, Jeannette Rashti, R. Gordon Appleman, Linda Prinz, Marvin Breslau, Peachie Hillman (Rudberg), Rabbi Milton Rosenbaum, Sue Goldstein, Morton H. Meyerson, Rosalyn Levy (Rubin), Don Herman, Arthur Miron.
Cameo portraits of the confirmation class of 1963, Beth-El Congregation, Fort Worth. Top corners: Cheryl Bernstein, Renee Schwartz Row 1: Marcia Rosenthal, Carol Cohn, Robert Archenhold, Miriam Winesanker, Ed Nussbaum, Nina Propper, Kim Herman, Linda Wisch Row 2: Susan Cohen, Adele Echt, Richard Slatkin, Frances Ginsburg, David Mater, Camille Joseph, Gary Steinberger, Susan Ellman Row 3: Carol Goldman, Arlene Schwartz, Rickie Bodner, Ronnie Sherman, Max Levy, Mary A. Glicksman, Mike Stuart, Joan Labovitz Not shown: Henry Jorman, Jerry Meyerson
Confirmation class of 1975 standing in a sanctuary at Beth-El Congregation, 207 W. Broadway, Ft. Worth. Debra Reitman, Julie Evans, Polly Boardman, Gayle Margolis, Cathy Sanford, Tami Hoffman, Shari Freed (Stein), Debby Kleiman, Rabbi Robert J. Schur, Aaron Siegel, Douglas Samson, Daniel Blumberg, Eric Rappaport, Michael Altman, Lee Denbina, Russell Feld.
Individual cameo portraits of the confirmation class of 1979 at Fort Worth's Beth-El Congregation. Split into two pages taken from a synagogue bulletin. Left Page, Top Row: Robert Stein, Leslie Rosen, Craig Berlin Left Page, Bottom Row: Gary Margolis, Robin Stien, Daniel Rousch Right Page, Top Row: Rick Klotz, Evan Pritchard, Tracey Dubosar Right Page, Bottom Row: Lisa Mack, Tobi Taub, Leslie Freed
Confirmation class of 1984 standing in the sanctuary at Beth-El Congregation, 207 W. Broadway, Fort Worth. Front Row: Education Director Ellen Mack, Tara Engle, Debra Rubin, Scott Sankary, Brad Greenman, Steven Black Second Row: Kellie Bowsher, Bradley Lamensdorf, Alissa Baum, Teri Kottler, Michael Margolis, Jeffrey Simon Back Row: Rabbi Ralph Mecklenburger, Aimee Yentis(Garner), Amy Adelson, Brian Bihari, Curtis Sheldon, Michael Appleman, Rabbi Robert J. Schur.
Confirmation class of 1989 standing in a synagogue at Beth-El Congregation, Ft. Worth. . Front Row: Education Director Ellen Mack, Shelly Stein (Gannot), Tyler Cohen, Sara Beth Oderberg (Thompson), Jacqueline Miller, Jessica Ross; Back Row: Brian Roper, Andy Bzostek, Hamilton Schwartz, Mark Weiner, Philip Bronstein.
Color photograph of the confirmation class of 1990, Beth-El Congregation, Fort Worth. Pictured from left to right, front row: education director Ellen Mack, Deborah Ferstenfeld, Chava Rousch, Andre LaMere, Carinne Wiener, Caryn Taurog, Josh Granek, Melissa Minker. Second row: Elisa Berman, Dawn Weiner, Gabriella Gluck, Rebecca Schwartz, Jackie Lederman, Mark Goldman, Rabbi Ralph Mecklenburger; back row: Seth Friedman, Michael Berenzweig, Ross Cravens, Jeremy Goldman, Michael Gilbert, Greg Bogomol.
Confirmation class of 1997 standing in the main sanctuary at Beth-El Congregation, Ft. Worth. Front Row: Grant Rubinson, Ashli Rosenthal, Amanda Hollander, Michael Ferstenfeld, Education Director Claudia Rivera Back Row: Cantor Karen Webber Gilat, Russell Oshman, Alan Mecklenburger, Ethan Pew, Rabbi Ralph Mecklenburger
Confirmation class of 2006 standing at Beth-El Congregation, 4900 Briarhaven Rd., Ft. Worth. Over their robes, each student is wearing a prayer shawl, called a "tallit." Front Row: Religious School Director Ilana Krust, Marissa Berenson, Erin Hahn, Ace Factor Back Row: Rabbi Ralph Mecklenburger, David Williams, Laura Finucane, Eli Holley
Exterior photograph of Congregation Ahavath Sholom and the Hebrew Institute in the 800 block of Taylor Street in Fort Worth. The building on the right with the arched windows is the synagogue of Congregation Ahavath Sholom, which was constructed in 1906. Next door is the Hebrew Institute, constructed in 1910. From 1910 until 1951 the Hebrew Institute served as a place for Hebrew School classes and meetings. It also had a gymnasium and a banquet hall. There are two "For Lease" signs on the front of the building. Adhered to the front of the photograph is a typed piece of paper which says "By 1950, downtown skyscrapers dwarfed Ahavath Sholom Synagogue and the Hebrew Institute at 819 Taylor Street." In 1951, Ahavath Sholom sold the downtown properties to the Danciger family. The synagogue was razed to create a parking lot. The Hebrew Institute was renamed the Danciger Building and converted into office space. The Federal Building now occupies this stretch of Taylor Street.
Consecration Class of 1951 at Beth-El Congregation in Fort Worth. Standing on the far left is Rabbi Milton Rosenbaum holding the Torah. Standing in the back is first-grade teacher Amelia Rosenstein. The consecration ushers children into their religious school studies.
Consecration Class of 1965, Beth-El Congregation, Ft. Worth. In the back row, religious school director Lil Goldman holds a lulav, a bouquet of season greens. Rabbi Robert Schur holds the Torahs. First row: Rusty Feld, Gayle Margolis (Sondecker), Polly Boardman, Michael Altman, Cathy Sanford, Lee Denbina, Daniel Blumberg, Tami Hoffman (Jara). Second row: Bob Davis, Douglas Samson, Aaron Siegel, Julie Evans (Johnson), Daniel Krakower, Patricia Livne, Sharie Freed (Stein), Pamela Cody ( Baer), Debby Kleinman Third row: Religious school director Lilaine Goldman, 1st grade teacher Amelia Rosenstein, student aide Valerie Hall, Rabbi Robert J. Schur Not pictured: James Bennett
Consecration class of 1985, Beth-El Congregation, Ft. Worth. First row: Ben Blumberg, Henry Smith, Danny Schwartz, Emily Hoffman, Sharon Bzostek Second row: Joshua Sigman, Haley Florsheim, Joan Miller, Brian Abrams, Julia Schwartz, Lori Miller Third row:: Rabbi Ralph Mecklenburger, religious school director Ellen Mack, Rabbi Robert J. Schur, 1st grade teacher Judy Bogomol
Consecration class of 2006 at Beth-El Congregation, Ft. Worth. Kindergarten teachers Libbe Berger; Lauren McCormick, Religious school director Ilana Knust, and Rabbi Ralph Mecklenburger. The alter or "bimah" is new at the temple Beth-El, 4900 Briarhaven Rd., Fort Worth.
Photograph of the 1898 funeral of David Linsky (1850-1898) at Emanuel Hebrew Rest Cemetery in the 1400 block of S. Main Street in Fort Worth. Many horse-drawn buggies and drivers surround the cemetery, which is on a dirt street two miles south of downtown. Linsky, 48, was a member of Woodmen of the World, a fraternal lodge which provided the tombstone for his grave.
Photograph of Ben Levy's grave and tombstone in the Emanuel Hebrew Rest Cemetery in October of 1928. The grave is covered with flowers. Ben Levy, (b. 8-31-1881, d.10-14-1928) was a jeweler. This is the family plot in which his parents and brothers are also buried.
Color photograph of the exterior of Beth-El Congregation's building at 4900 Briarhaven Road, Fort Worth, which was constructed in 2000. The stone menorah, prominently displayed on the side of the building in relief, was removed from the facade of Beth-El's previous synagogue and placed at the entrance to the new building. A matching menorah flanks the other side of the entrance.
Photograph of the exterior gate of the new Beth-El Congregation at 4900 Briarhaven Rd. The Star of David is in the center of the gate with lines radiating outward from it. The new synagogue is visible through the gate.
Exterior facade of the Beth-El Congregation at 207 W. Broadway Ave in Fort Worth. The building is red brick with three sets of double doors on the front of the building. There are two relief menorahs on the front of the building on either side of a circular window.
Exterior photograph of the facade of the Beth-El Congregation synagogue at 207 W. Broadway Avenue in Fort Worth. The building was restored after a fire. The congregation occupied the building from 1920 until 2000. It is still standing.
Photograph of the floating star which was suspended from the ceiling as part of the interior design of the sanctuary when Beth-El was rebuilt in 1948 after the 1946 fire. The interior designer was the Hungarian-American architect Erno Fabry.
Photograph of the Gernsbacher Cafe Supply Company, located at 1011 Houston Street in Fort Worth around the year 1950. The building is three stories tall, the cafe supply is on the ground floor, with what look to be apartments on the 2nd and 3rd floors. There is a truck with "Gernsbacher Cafe Supplies" printed on the driver's door. Several people are standing outside the store looking at the camera.
Six men in suits dig shovels into dirt at the groundbreaking of the Dan Danciger Jewish Community Center in 1964. The name tag of the man second from the left reads "Jake Feldman" and the man third from the left has a name tag which says "Louis Bockstein," the other men are unknown. The sign in the background reads: "Dan Danciger Jewish Community Center Cadenhead Construction Co. Inc. General Contractor Wyatt C. Hedrick Architect - Engineer Sub-Contractors" The names below "Sub-Contractors" are obscured by the men in the foreground.
Exterior photograph of the Hebrew Institute to Congregation Ahavath Sholom in the 800 block Taylor Street in Fort Worth. From 1910 until 1951 the building served as a place for Hebrew School classes and meetings, it also functioned as a gym. There are two "For Lease" signs on the front of the building.
Henry and Julia Faulk Gernsbacher (1859-1935) pose for their 50th wedding anniversary photo in 1930. Henry Gernsbacher (1858-1936), a kitchen-supply merchant, was the founder of Fort Worth's Beth-El Congregation. The couple had six sons. Their family business remained in operation until the end of the century.
Students of the Beth-El Congregation celebrate the Holiday of Succot around 1949-1950. They built a succah, a tabernacle or booth covered with seasonal greens and fruits, on the altar of the synagogue at 207 W. Broadway Ave., Fort Worth.
Two photographs of Rabbi Ralph Meckleburger entertaining children during the Holiday of Succot in 2007, outdoors at Beth-El Congregation, 4900 Briarhaven Rd. The succah, or tabernacle, is built outdoors. Page from a thank you letter to the rabbi. " Thank you! 2007 Dear Rabbi Mecklenburger, Thank you for helping us celebrate Sukkot. We all loved the story you told and enjoyed swaying to the songs you played. Todah, Rachel Yaacobi on behalf of Lil Goldman's students and staff."
Interior photograph of the remodeled sanctuary at the Beth-El Congregation at 207 W. Broadway Ave in Fort Worth. Theatre-style chairs circle around a central podium. Large stained-glass windows are visible on the far right and fiberglass lamps, evoking a flock of dove, hang from the ceiling. The sanctuary was designed by St. Louis architect John Mike Cohen.
Photograph of the interior of the second house of worship for Fort Worth's Reform Jewish congregation after being remodeled in 1981. This image was taken with the main lights turned off to show the sanctuary's 72 Castelli fiberglass lights, which evoke the imagery of a flock of doves. The stained glass in the background dates to the 1948 remodeling.
Panoramic photograph of the interior of of the synagogue of the Beth-El Congregation at 4900 Briarhaven Rd in Fort Worth which was completed in August of 2000. The photograph was taken from the balcony. The seating on the floor fills the bottom half of the photo while large stained-glass windows fill the back wall.
Children celebrating the holidays of Succot and Simchat Torah in the main sanctuary of the Beth-El Congregation, 207 W. Broadway, taken in the late 1920s or mid-1930s. This rare photo is among the few that show the original interior of the temple sanctuary, which featured a choir loft and a pipe organ.
Menorah Sculpture cast in bronze by artist Gene Owens. The sculpture was created in 1962 for the Galveston Street entrance to the new religious-school wing of Beth-El Congregation. In the summer of 2000, the sculpture was moved to the congregation's new building at 4900 Briarhaven Rd., where this picture was taken in 2002. Beth-El's archivist, Hollace Weiner, stands behind the sculpture.
This dialog allows you to filter your current search.
Each of the Decades listed note their name and the number of records that will be limited down to if you choose that option.
The list can be sorted by name or the count.
This dialog allows you to filter your current search.
Each of the Years listed note their name and the number of records that will be limited down to if you choose that option.
The list can be sorted by name or the count.
Having trouble finding an option within the list of Years? Start typing and we'll update the list to show only those items that match your needs.