Photograph, taken in 2000, of the "bimah" or altar in the main sanctuary at Beth-El Congregation, 207 W. Broadway, Fort Worth. The building was constructed in 1920, rebuilt in 1948 after a fire gutted the interior, and remodeled in 1981. The 1948 rebuilding and redesign were by the Hungarian-American interior designer Erno Fabry. His design ideas include the stone wall behind the altar, built with reddish Colorado travertine, the ark (which contained the Torahs) framed with gray-veined cremo-Italian marble, as well as the gate with its Art Deco design, and the copper-colored menorahs flanking the ark. In 1981, architect-designer John Mike Cohen of St. Louis oversaw a major remodeling of the sanctuary with peach carpet, chairs, and fiberglass lights resembling a flock of dove.
Color photograph of the exterior of Beth-El Congregation's building at 4900 Briarhaven Road, Fort Worth, which was constructed in 2000. The stone menorah, prominently displayed on the side of the building in relief, was removed from the facade of Beth-El's previous synagogue and placed at the entrance to the new building. A matching menorah flanks the other side of the entrance.
Photograph of the exterior gate of the new Beth-El Congregation at 4900 Briarhaven Rd. The Star of David is in the center of the gate with lines radiating outward from it. The new synagogue is visible through the gate.
Photograph of the interior of the second house of worship for Fort Worth's Reform Jewish congregation after being remodeled in 1981. This image was taken with the main lights turned off to show the sanctuary's 72 Castelli fiberglass lights, which evoke the imagery of a flock of doves. The stained glass in the background dates to the 1948 remodeling.
Panoramic photograph of the interior of of the synagogue of the Beth-El Congregation at 4900 Briarhaven Rd in Fort Worth which was completed in August of 2000. The photograph was taken from the balcony. The seating on the floor fills the bottom half of the photo while large stained-glass windows fill the back wall.
Menorah Sculpture cast in bronze by artist Gene Owens. The sculpture was created in 1962 for the Galveston Street entrance to the new religious-school wing of Beth-El Congregation. In the summer of 2000, the sculpture was moved to the congregation's new building at 4900 Briarhaven Rd., where this picture was taken in 2002. Beth-El's archivist, Hollace Weiner, stands behind the sculpture.
Photograph of the east side of Beth-El Congregation's third synagogue located at 4900 Briarhaven Rd. in Fort Worth, Texas. This image was taken shortly after the congregation moved to this location in 2000 and it shows one side of the exterior including large windows near the roof. The building was designed by Fort Worth Architect David Stanford. It was constructed by DeMoss Co.
Photograph is a detail of the exterior corner of Beth-El Congregation's third synagogue located at 4900 Briarhaven Rd., Fort Worth. The photo, taken shortly after the building was completed in 2000, includes close-up details of the light-colored limestone bricks and the underside of the roof with its original copper color.
Photograph of the southwest corner exterior of Beth-El Congregation's third synagogue. The photo, taken shortly after the building was completed in 2000, shows the roof's copper color. There are also a few cars in the parking lot, and the lawn work is in progress. The building was designed by Fort Worth architect David Stanford. The contractor was the DeMoss Co.
Photograph of the interior of Beth-El Congregation's third synagogue in Fort Worth, Texas. There are multiple clear windows behind the altar and stained glass windows above the altar. The "eternal light" called a "ne'r tamid," in the shape of a bronze torch, is mounted on the wall over the ark.