Beth-El Congregation Archives, Fort Worth - 115 Matching Results

Search Results

Tarrant County Clerk's Daily Report for Oct. 3 and Oct. 4, 1902
Daily Report of the Tarrant County Clerk's office on October 3-4, 1902. Included are lists of deeds granted, deeds of trust, chattel cottages, and proceedings in the district and justice courts. "Claude Butler, proprietor" is printed at the top of the document. On the reverse side are handwritten minutes from Beth-El Congregation's third organizing meeting.
[Minutes, third meeting of Beth-El Congregation, October 5, 1902]
Minutes from the third meeting of Beth-El Congregation, Oct. 5, 1902, handwritten in pencil on the back of a courthouse circular. The reverse side of the minutes is a Courthouse Circular, dated Oct. 3, 1902.
[Organizing Meeting of Beth-El Congregation]
Minutes from the organizing meeting of the Beth-El Congregation in Fort Worth on September 21, 1902.
[In Memoriam]
Wolf & Klar Jewelers' 163 employees signed a certificate giving a Torah to the Beth-El Congregation in 1947 in memory of company founder Alex Wolf. The synagogue, at 207 W. Broadway, was gutted in a 1946 fire and lost most of its Torahs. A photograph of Alex Wolf is in the upper-left corner and a Wolf & Klar Jewelers' logo which says "In Memoriam" is in the lower-right corner. The text at the top of the certificate says: "In loving memory and respect for our beloved founder, Mr. Alex Wolf, we the employees of Wolf & Klar Companies, dedicate this torah to Beth El congregation, as a memorial to his love and kindness of his fellow men."
[Certificate]
Union of American Hebrew Congregations certificate of membership for Beth-El Congregation of Fort Worth. The certificate is orange in color and has a star-burst design radiating out from a scroll in the center. There is Hebrew text at the top beneath which is the quotation: "Come, let us take counsel together. --Nch. 6:7." The text on the scroll states: The Union of American Hebrew Congregations Established 1873 Hereby certifies that Beth-El Congregation Fort Worth, Texas on March 22, 1907 (Nisan 7, 5667) became a duly affiliated member, entitled to all the rights and privileges of membership and to full participation in its plans and activities for the PERPETUATION AND PROGRESS OF JUDAISM IN AMERICA. Samuel S Hollender Chairman, Executive Board Maurice N. Eisendrath President Presented on November 5, 1955.
[Stained-Glass Window Mural]
Color photograph of the stained-glass mural "Sunset" designed in 1979 by Fort Worth artist Evaline Sellers. The stained-glass mural was moved to the new congregation at Briarhaven Road in 2000.
[Menorah Sculpture]
Menorah Sculpture cast in bronze by artist Gene Owens. The sculpture was created in 1962 for the Galveston Street entrance to the new religious-school wing of Beth-El Congregation. In the summer of 2000, the sculpture was moved to the congregation's new building at 4900 Briarhaven Rd., where this picture was taken in 2002. Beth-El's archivist, Hollace Weiner, stands behind the sculpture.
[Chapel]
Color photograph of the small sanctuary in Beth-El Congregation's building at 4900 Briarhaven Road in Fort Worth.
[Painting #1, montage of ritual images at Beth-El]
Painting #1 which is a montage mural painting of ritual images in the foyer of Beth-El Congregation at 4900 Briarhaven Rd., Fort Worth. The artist was Archie Rand.
[Exterior, Beth-El Congregation]
Color photograph of the exterior of Beth-El Congregation's building at 4900 Briarhaven Road, Fort Worth, which was constructed in 2000. The stone menorah, prominently displayed on the side of the building in relief, was removed from the facade of Beth-El's previous synagogue and placed at the entrance to the new building. A matching menorah flanks the other side of the entrance.
[Painting #2, montage of ritual images at Beth-El]
Painting #2 which is a montage mural painting of ritual images in the foyer of Beth-El Congregation at 4900 Briarhaven Rd., Fort Worth. The artist was Archie Rand.
[Past presidents, B'nai B'rith Lodge, Ft Worth]
Photograph of the past presidents of the B'nai B'rith Lodge in Fort Worth. There are seventeen men in two rows with a singular man standing by himself behind the second row. The men in the front row are seated in padded chairs and those behind are standing. They are in an unknown room with vertical stripes on the wall behind them and a patterned carpet on the floor. Seated, left to right: Arthur Rosenthal; unidentified; Herbie Berkowitz; Jack Gerrick; unidentified; Buddy Rosen; Leon Gachman. Standing, left to right: Jerry Wolens; Lou Barnett; Ben Gilbert; Joe Herman; Wally Nass; Sidney Raimey; Max Kaye; Milton Simon; Sidney Levinson; Al Wexler.
[Facade, Beth-El Congregation, 207 W. Broadway Ave, Ft Worth]
Exterior facade of the Beth-El Congregation at 207 W. Broadway Ave in Fort Worth. The building is red brick with three sets of double doors on the front of the building. There are two relief menorahs on the front of the building on either side of a circular window.
[Interior, Beth-El Congregation Sanctuary, after 1981 remodeling]
Interior photograph of the remodeled sanctuary at the Beth-El Congregation at 207 W. Broadway Ave in Fort Worth. Theatre-style chairs circle around a central podium. Large stained-glass windows are visible on the far right and fiberglass lamps, evoking a flock of dove, hang from the ceiling. The sanctuary was designed by St. Louis architect John Mike Cohen.
[Main sanctuary at new synagogue, Beth-El Congregation]
Panoramic photograph of the interior of of the synagogue of the Beth-El Congregation at 4900 Briarhaven Rd in Fort Worth which was completed in August of 2000. The photograph was taken from the balcony. The seating on the floor fills the bottom half of the photo while large stained-glass windows fill the back wall.
[Emanuel Hebrew Rest Cemetery]
Photograph of the 1898 funeral of David Linsky (1850-1898) at Emanuel Hebrew Rest Cemetery in the 1400 block of S. Main Street in Fort Worth. Many horse-drawn buggies and drivers surround the cemetery, which is on a dirt street two miles south of downtown. Linsky, 48, was a member of Woodmen of the World, a fraternal lodge which provided the tombstone for his grave.
[Exterior gate, new Beth-El Congregation]
Photograph of the exterior gate of the new Beth-El Congregation at 4900 Briarhaven Rd. The Star of David is in the center of the gate with lines radiating outward from it. The new synagogue is visible through the gate.
[Emanuel Hebrew Rest Cemetery, 1928, grave of Ben Levy]
Photograph of Ben Levy's grave and tombstone in the Emanuel Hebrew Rest Cemetery in October of 1928. The grave is covered with flowers. Ben Levy, (b. 8-31-1881, d.10-14-1928) was a jeweler. This is the family plot in which his parents and brothers are also buried.
[Tombstone of Confederate Soldier Jacob Samuels (1836-1906)]
Color photograph of Jacob Samuels' tombstone in the Emanuel Hebrew Rest Cemetery, 1400 block S. Main Street, Ft. Worth. Samuels' name is in raised letters on the face of the tombstone and a confederate battle flag is at the top. Jacob Samuels was a pioneer store keeper, Confederate soldier, and merchant who lived from 1836 to 1906.
[Tombstone of Confederate Soldier Jacob Samuels (1836-1906)]
Photograph of the back Jacob Samuels' tombstone in the Emanuel Hebrew Rest Cemetery, 1400 block S. Main Street, Ft. Worth. Samuels name is in raised letters on the face of the tombstone and a symbol of the Masons is at the top which consists of the letter "G" with a compass above and right angle below. Jacob Samuels was a Confederate soldier who live from 1836 to 1906.
[Congregation Ahavath Sholom]
Exterior photograph of Congregation Ahavath Sholom at 819 Taylor Street in Fort Worth which was razed in 1951. The brick building was constructed in 1906.
[Hebrew Institute to Congregation Ahavath Sholom]
Exterior photograph of the Hebrew Institute to Congregation Ahavath Sholom in the 800 block Taylor Street in Fort Worth. From 1910 until 1951 the building served as a place for Hebrew School classes and meetings, it also functioned as a gym. There are two "For Lease" signs on the front of the building.
[Congregation Ahavath Sholom and its Hebrew Institute]
Exterior photograph of Congregation Ahavath Sholom and the Hebrew Institute in the 800 block of Taylor Street in Fort Worth. The building on the right with the arched windows is the synagogue of Congregation Ahavath Sholom, which was constructed in 1906. Next door is the Hebrew Institute, constructed in 1910. From 1910 until 1951 the Hebrew Institute served as a place for Hebrew School classes and meetings. It also had a gymnasium and a banquet hall. There are two "For Lease" signs on the front of the building. Adhered to the front of the photograph is a typed piece of paper which says "By 1950, downtown skyscrapers dwarfed Ahavath Sholom Synagogue and the Hebrew Institute at 819 Taylor Street." In 1951, Ahavath Sholom sold the downtown properties to the Danciger family. The synagogue was razed to create a parking lot. The Hebrew Institute was renamed the Danciger Building and converted into office space. The Federal Building now occupies this stretch of Taylor Street.
[Groundbreaking, Dan Danciger Jewish Community Center]
Six men in suits dig shovels into dirt at the groundbreaking of the Dan Danciger Jewish Community Center in 1964. The name tag of the man second from the left reads "Jake Feldman" and the man third from the left has a name tag which says "Louis Bockstein," the other men are unknown. The sign in the background reads: "Dan Danciger Jewish Community Center Cadenhead Construction Co. Inc. General Contractor Wyatt C. Hedrick Architect - Engineer Sub-Contractors" The names below "Sub-Contractors" are obscured by the men in the foreground.
[Cake celebrating Beth-El Congregation's 50th anniversary]
Photograph of the cake celebrating Beth-El Congregation's fiftieth anniversary, from 1902 to 1952. The cake is shaped like a book, a popular cake design in the 1950s. The left side of the cake reads "Fiftieth Anniversary" and the right reads "Beth-El Congregation 1902 - 1952."
["Presentation," party for Jewish Debutantes]
Photograph of the "Presentation" party for Fort Worth's Jewish Debutantes on November 24, 1956 in the Venetian Ballroom of the Blackstone Hotel. The women in the front row, holding bouquets of flowers, wear floor-length gowns, while men standing behind are wearing tuxedos. They are standing on a stage with curtains hanging behind them. The back row of men from left to right: Nolan Glazer, David Samson, Phillip Hurwitz, Willard Glazer, Irving Rosenthal, Mitchell Victor, and Joseph Shanblum. The front row of women from left to right: Charlotte Miller (Mehl), Eleanor Klotzman (Gachman), Bertha Samson (Shanblum), Annette Bockstein (Taylor), Shirley Ginsburg (Anton), Betty Jo Dresher (Silberstein), Louise Klar (Lipschitz).
["Presentation," party for Jewish Debutantes]
Photograph of the "Presentation" party for Jewish Debutantes of 1949 at the Beth-El Congregation's social hall at 207 W. Broadway in Fort Worth. The women are arranged in a curve away from the photographer and are holding bouquets of flowers and wearing formal ball gowns. The women from left to right: Charlotte Sue Louis (Alterman), Ruth Hendelman (Berkowitz), Marilyn Caughy (Raff), Harriet Friedson, Sara Kantrovich (Carr), Katherine Spiegel, Bessie Rutlader (Gaines), Rhoda Cohen (Schultz), Mary Sankary (Herman), Ellen Sankary (Smith), Idelle Engelberg (Luskey), Margie Weisblatt (Goone), Adele Nathan (Friedman).
["Presentation," party for Jewish Debutantes, 1951]
Photograph of the "Presentation" party for Jewish Debutantes in 1951 in the Venetian Ballroom of the Blackstone Hotel, Fort Worth. The women are arrayed on a staircase in two rows. They are holding bouquets of flowers and wearing formal gowns. There is a palm frond potted plant at the bottom of the stairs. The women from left to right on the back row: Barbara Walensky (Zale), Esther Rosenthal, Gloria Laves, La Rue Glickman (Glazer), Sandra Rashti, Jayne Meyers (Eisen), Sonja Sandler (Stenzler), Sandra Miron (Freed), Yvonne Greene (Lewis). The women from left to right on the front row: Dorothy Prager, Sara Rashti, Realene "Bootsie" Mehl (Coggan), Sandra Zaetler.
[Façade, Beth-El Congregation, 1949]
Exterior photograph of the facade of the Beth-El Congregation synagogue at 207 W. Broadway Avenue in Fort Worth. The building was restored after a fire. The congregation occupied the building from 1920 until 2000. It is still standing.
[Main sanctuary, Beth-El, ca. late 1920's or mid-1930's]
Children celebrating the holidays of Succot and Simchat Torah in the main sanctuary of the Beth-El Congregation, 207 W. Broadway, taken in the late 1920s or mid-1930s. This rare photo is among the few that show the original interior of the temple sanctuary, which featured a choir loft and a pipe organ.
[Purim masquerade ball, ca. 1910]
Large gathering of people in the hall of the Hebrew Institute for the Purim masquerade ball.
[Purim at Beth-El Congregation, ca. 1948]
Children dressed up for Purim at the Beth-El Congregation around 1948. Standing: La Rue Glickman, Sandra Rashti, Realene Mehl, Sue Goldstein, Dorothy Prager, Sonya Sandler, Esther Rosenthal Kneeling: Rabbi Milton Rosenbaum, Don Herman, Morton Meyerson, Jay Weinstein
[Carb family portrait]
Portrait of the Carb family, a founding family of Beth-El Congregation. Clockwise, from left, Isadore Carb(1852-1915), and his children Meredith Carb, David Carb, and Gladys Carb.
[Holiday of Succot, ca. 1949-1950]
Students of the Beth-El Congregation celebrate the Holiday of Succot around 1949-1950. They built a succah, a tabernacle or booth covered with seasonal greens and fruits, on the altar of the synagogue at 207 W. Broadway Ave., Fort Worth.
[Holiday Succot in 2007]
Two photographs of Rabbi Ralph Meckleburger entertaining children during the Holiday of Succot in 2007, outdoors at Beth-El Congregation, 4900 Briarhaven Rd. The succah, or tabernacle, is built outdoors. Page from a thank you letter to the rabbi. " Thank you! 2007 Dear Rabbi Mecklenburger, Thank you for helping us celebrate Sukkot. We all loved the story you told and enjoyed swaying to the songs you played. Todah, Rachel Yaacobi on behalf of Lil Goldman's students and staff."
[Henry and Julia Faulk Gernsbacher. 1930]
Henry and Julia Faulk Gernsbacher (1859-1935) pose for their 50th wedding anniversary photo in 1930. Henry Gernsbacher (1858-1936), a kitchen-supply merchant, was the founder of Fort Worth's Beth-El Congregation. The couple had six sons. Their family business remained in operation until the end of the century.
[Gernsbacher Cafe Supply Co.]
Photograph of the Gernsbacher Cafe Supply Company, located at 1011 Houston Street in Fort Worth around the year 1950. The building is three stories tall, the cafe supply is on the ground floor, with what look to be apartments on the 2nd and 3rd floors. There is a truck with "Gernsbacher Cafe Supplies" printed on the driver's door. Several people are standing outside the store looking at the camera.
Painting of the First Rabbi of Beth-El Congregation, Rabbi Solomon Philo
Painting of the first rabbi of Beth-El Congregation, Rabbi Solomon Philo (1842-1923). Hired on probation for $100 a month, he served the congregation for its first four months, from September through December of 1902. In the painting, he is a bearded man with white hair and waxed mustache studying from a book on a table in front of him. He wears a dark suit with a bow tie and black skull cap. There are two rings on his fingers and he is leaning on the table.
[Rabbi Robert Schur and Rolly Schur, ca. 1960]
Portrait of Rabbi Robert Shur and his wife, Rolly Shur, of Beth-El Congregation, taken around 1960.
[Bishop Cassata and Rabbi Robert Schur]
Bishop John J. Cassata, first Roman Catholic bishop of the Diocese of Fort Worth, and Rabbi Robert Schur together at the Beth-El Congregation in the 1970s.
[Rabbi Robert Schur]
Portrait of Rabbi Robert Schur, Beth-El Congregation, Fort Worth, taken around 1970.
[Rabbi Ralph Mecklenburger with wife, Ann, Stan and Marcia Kurtz, and Nobel Laureate Ellie Wiesel]
Photograph of Rabbi Ralph Mecklenburger, his wife Ann, with Stan and Marcia Kurtz and Nobel Peace Laureate Ellie Wiesel in 2001 at Gates of Chai lecture series, Texas Christian University.
[Rabbi Ralph Mecklenburger with wife, Ann; Rabbi Sidney Zimelman and wife, Vivian]
Photograph of Rabbi Ralph Mecklenburger of Beth-El Congregation with his wife, Ann, and Rabbi Sidney Zimelman of Congregation Ahavath Sholom Congregation with his wife, Vivian.
[Rabbi Ralph D. Mecklenburger, 2000]
Rabbi Ralph D. Mecklenburger, spiritual leader at Beth-El Congregation,the Reform synagogue in Fort Worth.
[Consecration Class of 1951]
Consecration Class of 1951 at Beth-El Congregation in Fort Worth. Standing on the far left is Rabbi Milton Rosenbaum holding the Torah. Standing in the back is first-grade teacher Amelia Rosenstein. The consecration ushers children into their religious school studies.
[Consecration Class of 1965]
Consecration Class of 1965, Beth-El Congregation, Ft. Worth. In the back row, religious school director Lil Goldman holds a lulav, a bouquet of season greens. Rabbi Robert Schur holds the Torahs. First row: Rusty Feld, Gayle Margolis (Sondecker), Polly Boardman, Michael Altman, Cathy Sanford, Lee Denbina, Daniel Blumberg, Tami Hoffman (Jara). Second row: Bob Davis, Douglas Samson, Aaron Siegel, Julie Evans (Johnson), Daniel Krakower, Patricia Livne, Sharie Freed (Stein), Pamela Cody ( Baer), Debby Kleinman Third row: Religious school director Lilaine Goldman, 1st grade teacher Amelia Rosenstein, student aide Valerie Hall, Rabbi Robert J. Schur Not pictured: James Bennett
[Youth Group, Fort Worth Federation Temple Youth (FWFY)]
The Fort Worth Federation Temple Youth group gathered in the social hall of Beth-El Congregation, 207 W. Broadway, Fort Worth. Advisor Ted Hoffman is standing in the back row on the left hand side.
[Consecration Class of 1985]
Consecration class of 1985, Beth-El Congregation, Ft. Worth. First row: Ben Blumberg, Henry Smith, Danny Schwartz, Emily Hoffman, Sharon Bzostek Second row: Joshua Sigman, Haley Florsheim, Joan Miller, Brian Abrams, Julia Schwartz, Lori Miller Third row:: Rabbi Ralph Mecklenburger, religious school director Ellen Mack, Rabbi Robert J. Schur, 1st grade teacher Judy Bogomol
[Consecration Class of 2006]
Consecration class of 2006 at Beth-El Congregation, Ft. Worth. Kindergarten teachers Libbe Berger; Lauren McCormick, Religious school director Ilana Knust, and Rabbi Ralph Mecklenburger. The alter or "bimah" is new at the temple Beth-El, 4900 Briarhaven Rd., Fort Worth.
[Youth Group Flyer "Temple Teens Interfaith Program." Dec. 1959]
Youth group flyer of the Beth-El Congregation Temple Teens Interfaith Program. "Temple Teens Interfaith Program Sunday Dec. 13th Supper Promptly Served at 6:15 Social-Meeting Youth Group of First Unitarian Church Will Join Us All Temple High School Youth Coming to Shabbos Services Friday, December 18th. "`