Beth-El Congregation Archives, Fort Worth - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

[Stained Glass Window Pane of an Italian Sabbath Lamp]

Description: Photograph of a stained-glass window pane depicting an Italian Sabbath lamp hanging from a hook; this kind of lamp would cast a shadow in the shape of a six-pointed Jewish star when lit. It is one of more than two dozen circular stained-glass discs created for the sanctuary of Fort Worth's Temple Beth-El; most of the images were copied from a book on Jewish treasures to represent a collection of Judaica in miniature. This pane was located in one of the stairwell windows of the building that the congregation occupied 1920-2000. This circular pane is presently stored in the Temple Archives.
Date: 1999
Creator: Lauer, Ralph
Item Type: Photograph

[Stained Glass Window Pane of an Olive Tree]

Description: Photograph of a stained-glass window pane depicting an olive tree. It represents the Tribe of Asher, one of the wealthiest tribes of Israel. It is one of more than two dozen circular stained-glass discs created for the sanctuary of Fort Worth's Temple Beth-El; most of the images were copied from a book on Jewish treasures to represent a collection of Judaica in miniature. When the congregation moved in the summer of 2000, this pane, and all the others that represent one of the 12 Tribes of Israel, was removed and placed in a smaller window in the new synagogue's Hall of Remembrance.
Date: 1999
Creator: Lauer, Ralph
Item Type: Photograph

[Stained Glass Window Pane of City Gates]

Description: Photograph of a stained-glass window pane depicting city gates for the Tribe of Simeon. It represents the city of Shechem, where Simeon led his brothers to avenge dishonor to their sister, Dinah. It is one of more than two dozen circular stained-glass discs created for the sanctuary of Fort Worth's Temple Beth-El, When Beth-El moved in the summer of 2000, this pane was placed in a small window in the new building's Hall of Remembrance.
Date: 1999
Creator: Lauer, Ralph
Item Type: Photograph

[Stained Glass Window Pane of Hanukkah Menorah]

Description: Photograph of a stained-glass window pane depicting an 18th century German Hanukkah menorah. The candelabra's branches are curved like the flowering branches of a bush. It is one of more than two dozen circular stained-glass discs created for the sanctuary of Fort Worth's Temple Beth-El; most of the images were copied from a book on Jewish treasures to represent a collection of Judaica in miniature. This circular pane is presently stored in the Temple Archives.
Date: 1999
Creator: Lauer, Ralph
Item Type: Photograph

[Stained Glass Window Pane of Military Tents]

Description: Photograph of a stained-glass window pane depicting a field of tents. It represents the military camp of the Tribe of Gad, which was known for its warriors. It is one of more than two dozen circular stained-glass discs created in 1947 for the sanctuary of Fort Worth's Temple Beth-El; most of the images were copied from a book on Jewish treasures to represent a collection of Judaica in miniature. When the congregation moved to a new building in the summer of 2000, this was among the panes reframed and placed in a window in the Hall of Remembrance.
Date: 1999
Creator: Lauer, Ralph
Item Type: Photograph

[Stained Glass Window Pane of Outstretched Hands]

Description: Photograph of a stained-glass window pane depicting two hands outstretched and positioned to deliver a priestly blessing. It is one of more than two dozen circular stained-glass discs created in 1947 for the sanctuary of Fort Worth's Temple Beth-El; most of the images were copied from a book on Jewish treasures to represent a collection of Judaica in miniature. This image was copied from details on a decorative wall in St. Petersburg, Russia. Beth-El moved to a new location in the summer of 2000 and removed each of the symbolic panes. This circular pane is presently stored in the Temple Archives.
Date: 1999
Creator: Lauer, Ralph
Item Type: Photograph

[Stained Glass Window Pane of the Scroll of Esther]

Description: Photograph of a stained-glass window pane depicting the scroll of Esther (called a Megillah), a one-armed scroll that is read on the holiday of Purim. It is one of more than two dozen circular stained-glass discs created in 1947 for the sanctuary of Fort Worth's Temple Beth-El; most of the images were copied from a book on Jewish treasures to represent a collection of Judaica in miniature. This image depicts a Megillah that has a Baroque-style silver case with a crown and dove of peace on the top; it is also embossed with a scene from the Book of Esther. When the congregation moved to a new building, this disc was removed and placed in the Temple Archives.
Date: 1999
Creator: Lauer, Ralph
Item Type: Photograph

[Stained Glass Window Pane of the Ten Commandments]

Description: Photograph of a stained-glass window pane depicting two stone tablets inscribed with the Ten Commandments; each of the lines contains the opening words of a commandment. It is one of more than two dozen circular stained-glass discs created for the sanctuary of Fort Worth's Temple Beth-El; most of the images were copied from a book on Jewish treasures to represent a collection of Judaica in miniature. When the congregation moved to a new building, this disc was removed and placed in the Temple Archives.
Date: 1999
Creator: Lauer, Ralph
Item Type: Photograph

[Façade, Beth-El Congregation, 1949]

Description: Exterior photograph of the facade of the Beth-El Congregation synagogue at 207 W. Broadway Avenue in Fort Worth. The building was restored after a fire. The congregation occupied the building from 1920 until 2000. It is still standing.
Date: 1951
Creator: Lawrence Thomas-Allen Co.
Item Type: Photograph

[Menorah Sculpture]

Description: Menorah Sculpture cast in bronze by artist Gene Owens. The sculpture was created in 1962 for the Galveston Street entrance to the new religious-school wing of Beth-El Congregation. In the summer of 2000, the sculpture was moved to the congregation's new building at 4900 Briarhaven Rd., where this picture was taken in 2002. Beth-El's archivist, Hollace Weiner, stands behind the sculpture.
Date: 2002
Creator: Owens, Gene
Item Type: Photograph

Confirmation Bible of Rose Levenson, Beth-El Congregation

Description: Confirmation Bible, Beth-El Congregation. Presented to Rose Levenson for Confirmation on Shevuoth, May 26, 1909 at Fort Worth, Texas by Rabbi George Zepin. Title page and inscription of the bible states that this volume contains "the Twenty-Four Books of the Holy Scriptures, carefully translated according to the Massoretic text, after the best Jewish authority by Isaac Lesser."
Date: May 26, 1909
Creator: Rabbi George Zepin
Item Type: Text

[Beth-El Congregation Building Committee]

Description: Photograph of Beth-El's Building Committee. Four of the committee members are seated around a wooden table, the other four members are standing behind them. Handwritten notes on the back of the photograph say "Briarhaven Planning Committee" "from Len S. Construction book" and list the persons in the photo from left to right. Front row: Lynny Sankary, [Committee Chairman] Irwin Krauss, Judith Cohen, Billy Rosenthal Back row: Ken Baum, Rabbi Ralph Mecklenburger, Dr. Ira Hollander, Shelden Anisman.
Date: 1999
Creator: Schweitzer, Leonard
Item Type: Photograph

[Beth-El Congregation Building Committee Discussing Plans]

Description: Photograph of Beth-El's Building Committee. The committee members are standing around a wooden table looking at the building plans. Handwritten notes on the back of the photograph say "Briarhaven Planning Committee" "from Len S. Construction book" and list the persons in the photo from left to right. Clockwise from left: David Stanford (architect), [Committee Chairman] Irwin Krauss, Ken Baum, Lynny Sankary, Sheldon Anisman, Jane Manning & Bob Wagnon (designers), Rabbi Ralph Mecklenburger, Judith Cohen.
Date: 1999
Creator: Schweitzer, Leonard
Item Type: Photograph

[Beth-El Congregation's Second Synagogue]

Description: Photograph of the front entrance of the second house of worship for Beth-El Congregation, Fort Worth's Reform Jewish congregation. The two-story building at 207 W. Broadway Ave., was constructed with red brick and limestone accents. The temple's facade has a frieze above the entry with a quote from Psalms ("Give Ear, O Lord, Unto My Prayer") as well as two menorahs above the entrance. There are many stained-glass windows on the front and side of the building, protected by storm windows. At the far right of the photograph, Broadway Baptist Church is visible behind the synagogue. There is also a car in the bottom right corner, and a lamppost with the street names "Galveston" and "W. Broadway" in the foreground.
Date: 1970
Creator: Stenzler, Marty
Item Type: Photograph

[Beth-El Congregation's First Synagogue]

Description: Photograph of Temple Beth-El, the first house of worship for Beth-El, Fort Worth's Reform Jewish congregation. It was a two-story, neo-classical synagogue constructed of wood and stucco. Above the columned entrance was a wooden Star of David, beneath which were the Hebrew words "Y'he Or," meaning "Let There Be Light." Handwritten notes on the back of the photograph say, "Beth-El Congregation's 1st synagogue; built 1908 @ 5th & Taylor Streets. Photo from The Jewish Monitor, 1915. Greek Revival Style, The Hebrew Lettering says: 'Let there be light.'"
Date: 1915
Creator: The Jewish Monitor
Item Type: Photograph

[Emanuel Hebrew Rest Cemetery, 1928, grave of Ben Levy]

Description: Photograph of Ben Levy's grave and tombstone in the Emanuel Hebrew Rest Cemetery in October of 1928. The grave is covered with flowers. Ben Levy, (b. 8-31-1881, d.10-14-1928) was a jeweler. This is the family plot in which his parents and brothers are also buried.
Date: 1928
Creator: White Studio
Item Type: Photograph

[Chapel]

Description: Color photograph of the small sanctuary in Beth-El Congregation's building at 4900 Briarhaven Road in Fort Worth.
Date: 2001
Creator: Wilson, Ray
Item Type: Photograph

[Exterior, Beth-El Congregation]

Description: Color photograph of the exterior of Beth-El Congregation's building at 4900 Briarhaven Road, Fort Worth, which was constructed in 2000. The stone menorah, prominently displayed on the side of the building in relief, was removed from the facade of Beth-El's previous synagogue and placed at the entrance to the new building. A matching menorah flanks the other side of the entrance.
Date: 2001
Creator: Wilson, Ray
Item Type: Photograph

[Photograph of the Beth-El Synagogue]

Description: Photograph of the east side of Beth-El Congregation's third synagogue located at 4900 Briarhaven Rd. in Fort Worth, Texas. This image was taken shortly after the congregation moved to this location in 2000 and it shows one side of the exterior including large windows near the roof. The building was designed by Fort Worth Architect David Stanford. It was constructed by DeMoss Co.
Date: 2000
Creator: Wilson, Ray
Item Type: Photograph

[Stained-Glass Window Mural]

Description: Color photograph of the stained-glass mural "Sunset" designed in 1979 by Fort Worth artist Evaline Sellers. The stained-glass mural was moved to the new congregation at Briarhaven Road in 2000.
Date: 2001
Creator: Wilson, Ray & Sellers, Evaline
Item Type: Photograph