Beth-El Congregation Archives, Fort Worth - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

[Beth-El Congregation Building Committee]

Description: Photograph of Beth-El's Building Committee. Four of the committee members are seated around a wooden table, the other four members are standing behind them. Handwritten notes on the back of the photograph say "Briarhaven Planning Committee" "from Len S. Construction book" and list the persons in the photo from left to right. Front row: Lynny Sankary, [Committee Chairman] Irwin Krauss, Judith Cohen, Billy Rosenthal Back row: Ken Baum, Rabbi Ralph Mecklenburger, Dr. Ira Hollander, Shelden Anisman.
Date: 1999
Creator: Schweitzer, Leonard
Item Type: Photograph

[Beth-El Congregation Building Committee Discussing Plans]

Description: Photograph of Beth-El's Building Committee. The committee members are standing around a wooden table looking at the building plans. Handwritten notes on the back of the photograph say "Briarhaven Planning Committee" "from Len S. Construction book" and list the persons in the photo from left to right. Clockwise from left: David Stanford (architect), [Committee Chairman] Irwin Krauss, Ken Baum, Lynny Sankary, Sheldon Anisman, Jane Manning & Bob Wagnon (designers), Rabbi Ralph Mecklenburger, Judith Cohen.
Date: 1999
Creator: Schweitzer, Leonard
Item Type: Photograph

[Beth-El Congregation's First Synagogue]

Description: Photograph of Temple Beth-El, the first house of worship for Beth-El, Fort Worth's Reform Jewish congregation. It was a two-story, neo-classical synagogue constructed of wood and stucco. Above the columned entrance was a wooden Star of David, beneath which were the Hebrew words "Y'he Or," meaning "Let There Be Light." Handwritten notes on the back of the photograph say, "Beth-El Congregation's 1st synagogue; built 1908 @ 5th & Taylor Streets. Photo from The Jewish Monitor, 1915. Greek Revival Style, The Hebrew Lettering says: 'Let there be light.'"
Date: 1915
Creator: The Jewish Monitor
Item Type: Photograph

[Beth-El Congregation's Second Synagogue]

Description: Photograph of the entrance to the synagogue at 207 W. Broadway Ave. that served Beth-El Congregation from 1920 to 2000. The building has two stories plus a basement with a social hall and kitchen. It is constructed of red brick and limestone. In the photo, the facade has a frieze above the entry with a quote from Psalms ("Give Ear, O Lord, Unto My Prayer") as well as two limestone menorahs above the quotation. The stained-glass windows on the front and side of the building are protected by storm windows. This image shows the front of the building shortly before the congregation moved to a new location across town. Several of the decorative features, particularly the frieze and limestone arches, are stained with black marks from 80 years of air pollution. When the congregation moved in August of 2000, the frieze, menorahs, and a Ten-Commandment carving were removed from the facade and replaced with red brick.
Date: 2000
Creator: Lauer, Ralph
Item Type: Photograph

[Beth-El Congregation's Second Synagogue]

Description: Photograph of the second synagogue of Beth-El Congregation, Fort Worth's Reform Jewish house of worship. The photo appears to have been taken in 1948 after the temple was refurbished due to a 1946 fire that gutted the interior. The red-brick building, at 207 W. Broadway Ave., has two-stories plus a basement with a social hall and kitchen. The building's facade has a frieze above the entry with a quote from Psalms ("Give Ear, O Lord, Unto My Prayer") as well as two menorahs above the frieze. There are also stained-glass windows around the entrance and along the length of the building. A handwritten note on the back of the photo says, "Exterior 2nd Temple. 207 W. Broadway."
Date: 1948
Creator: J. Allison
Item Type: Photograph

[Cake celebrating Beth-El Congregation's 50th anniversary]

Description: Photograph of the cake celebrating Beth-El Congregation's fiftieth anniversary, from 1902 to 1952. The cake is shaped like a book, a popular cake design in the 1950s. The left side of the cake reads "Fiftieth Anniversary" and the right reads "Beth-El Congregation 1902 - 1952."
Date: 1952
Creator: Hal Blake Photography
Item Type: Photograph

[Certificate]

Description: Union of American Hebrew Congregations certificate of membership for Beth-El Congregation of Fort Worth. The certificate is orange in color and has a star-burst design radiating out from a scroll in the center. There is Hebrew text at the top beneath which is the quotation: "Come, let us take counsel together. --Nch. 6:7." The text on the scroll states: The Union of American Hebrew Congregations Established 1873 Hereby certifies that Beth-El Congregation Fort Worth, Texas on March 22, 1907 (Nisan 7, 5667) became a duly affiliated member, entitled to all the rights and privileges of membership and to full participation in its plans and activities for the PERPETUATION AND PROGRESS OF JUDAISM IN AMERICA. Samuel S Hollender Chairman, Executive Board Maurice N. Eisendrath President Presented on November 5, 1955.
Date: March 22, 1907
Item Type: Text

[Confirmation Announcement, 1989]

Description: Announcement of the Confirmation Class of 1989 "Beth-El Congregation Confirmation Class 1989 Philip Bronstein Brian Roper Andrew Bzostek Jessica Ross Tyler Cohen Hamilton Schwartz Jacqueline Miller Michelle Stein Sara Beth Oderberg Mark Weiner invite you to join them for the Confirmation Service on Friday, June 2, 1989 eight o'clock in the evening in the Sanctuary at Temple Beth-El Galveston and Broadway A reception will follow in the Temple Parlor
Date: unknown
Item Type: Text

Confirmation Bible of Rose Levenson, Beth-El Congregation

Description: Confirmation Bible, Beth-El Congregation. Presented to Rose Levenson for Confirmation on Shevuoth, May 26, 1909 at Fort Worth, Texas by Rabbi George Zepin. Title page and inscription of the bible states that this volume contains "the Twenty-Four Books of the Holy Scriptures, carefully translated according to the Massoretic text, after the best Jewish authority by Isaac Lesser."
Date: May 26, 1909
Creator: Rabbi George Zepin
Item Type: Text

[Confirmation Certificate, 1989]

Description: Confirmation Certificate to Mark Weiner. (Torah Quotation in left hand corner) "Ye shall be holy for I the Lord your God am Holy" - Lev.19:2 (Corresponding text in Hebrew in opposite corner) "CONFIRMATION CERTIFICATE THIS IS TO RECORD THAT Mark Weiner WAS CONFIRMED IN THE FAITH OF ISRAEL ON June 2 1989 29 Iyar 5749 IN THE PRESENCE OF THE CONGREGATION Beth-El Fort Worth, Texas" Signature 1 Signature 2 Signature 3 (Torah quotation on bottom) "All that the Lord hath spoken we will do and we will obey" - ex.24:7
Date: unknown
Item Type: Text

Confirmation Class of 1963

Description: Cameo portraits of the confirmation class of 1963, Beth-El Congregation, Fort Worth. Top corners: Cheryl Bernstein, Renee Schwartz Row 1: Marcia Rosenthal, Carol Cohn, Robert Archenhold, Miriam Winesanker, Ed Nussbaum, Nina Propper, Kim Herman, Linda Wisch Row 2: Susan Cohen, Adele Echt, Richard Slatkin, Frances Ginsburg, David Mater, Camille Joseph, Gary Steinberger, Susan Ellman Row 3: Carol Goldman, Arlene Schwartz, Rickie Bodner, Ronnie Sherman, Max Levy, Mary A. Glicksman, Mike Stuart, Joan Labovitz Not shown: Henry Jorman, Jerry Meyerson
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph

[Confirmation Class of 1979]

Description: Individual cameo portraits of the confirmation class of 1979 at Fort Worth's Beth-El Congregation. Split into two pages taken from a synagogue bulletin. Left Page, Top Row: Robert Stein, Leslie Rosen, Craig Berlin Left Page, Bottom Row: Gary Margolis, Robin Stien, Daniel Rousch Right Page, Top Row: Rick Klotz, Evan Pritchard, Tracey Dubosar Right Page, Bottom Row: Lisa Mack, Tobi Taub, Leslie Freed
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph

Confirmation Program, Beth-El Congregation Fort Worth, 1933

Description: Confirmation Program, Beth-El Congregation, Fort Worth, including the declarations of the Rabbi and the Unison Readings of the congregation during the Shabuoth and Confirmation service of 1933, during which students graduating from the religious school are confirmed. The list of confirmands is on the 4th page.
Date: 1933
Item Type: Text

[Congregation Ahavath Sholom and its Hebrew Institute]

Description: Exterior photograph of Congregation Ahavath Sholom and the Hebrew Institute in the 800 block of Taylor Street in Fort Worth. The building on the right with the arched windows is the synagogue of Congregation Ahavath Sholom, which was constructed in 1906. Next door is the Hebrew Institute, constructed in 1910. From 1910 until 1951 the Hebrew Institute served as a place for Hebrew School classes and meetings. It also had a gymnasium and a banquet hall. There are two "For Lease" signs on the front of the building. Adhered to the front of the photograph is a typed piece of paper which says "By 1950, downtown skyscrapers dwarfed Ahavath Sholom Synagogue and the Hebrew Institute at 819 Taylor Street." In 1951, Ahavath Sholom sold the downtown properties to the Danciger family. The synagogue was razed to create a parking lot. The Hebrew Institute was renamed the Danciger Building and converted into office space. The Federal Building now occupies this stretch of Taylor Street.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph

[Façade, Beth-El Congregation, 1949]

Description: Exterior photograph of the facade of the Beth-El Congregation synagogue at 207 W. Broadway Avenue in Fort Worth. The building was restored after a fire. The congregation occupied the building from 1920 until 2000. It is still standing.
Date: 1951
Creator: Lawrence Thomas-Allen Co.
Item Type: Photograph

[Gernsbacher Cafe Supply Co.]

Description: Photograph of the Gernsbacher Cafe Supply Company, located at 1011 Houston Street in Fort Worth around the year 1950. The building is three stories tall, the cafe supply is on the ground floor, with what look to be apartments on the 2nd and 3rd floors. There is a truck with "Gernsbacher Cafe Supplies" printed on the driver's door. Several people are standing outside the store looking at the camera.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph

[Groundbreaking, Dan Danciger Jewish Community Center]

Description: Six men in suits dig shovels into dirt at the groundbreaking of the Dan Danciger Jewish Community Center in 1964. The name tag of the man second from the left reads "Jake Feldman" and the man third from the left has a name tag which says "Louis Bockstein," the other men are unknown. The sign in the background reads: "Dan Danciger Jewish Community Center Cadenhead Construction Co. Inc. General Contractor Wyatt C. Hedrick Architect - Engineer Sub-Contractors" The names below "Sub-Contractors" are obscured by the men in the foreground.
Date: 1964
Creator: Don Barnett Photography
Item Type: Photograph

[Holiday Succot in 2007]

Description: Two photographs of Rabbi Ralph Meckleburger entertaining children during the Holiday of Succot in 2007, outdoors at Beth-El Congregation, 4900 Briarhaven Rd. The succah, or tabernacle, is built outdoors. Page from a thank you letter to the rabbi. " Thank you! 2007 Dear Rabbi Mecklenburger, Thank you for helping us celebrate Sukkot. We all loved the story you told and enjoyed swaying to the songs you played. Todah, Rachel Yaacobi on behalf of Lil Goldman's students and staff."
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph

[In Memoriam]

Description: Wolf & Klar Jewelers' 163 employees signed a certificate giving a Torah to the Beth-El Congregation in 1947 in memory of company founder Alex Wolf. The synagogue, at 207 W. Broadway, was gutted in a 1946 fire and lost most of its Torahs. A photograph of Alex Wolf is in the upper-left corner and a Wolf & Klar Jewelers' logo which says "In Memoriam" is in the lower-right corner. The text at the top of the certificate says: "In loving memory and respect for our beloved founder, Mr. Alex Wolf, we the employees of Wolf & Klar Companies, dedicate this torah to Beth El congregation, as a memorial to his love and kindness of his fellow men."
Date: 1947
Item Type: Text

[Minutes, third meeting of Beth-El Congregation, October 5, 1902]

Description: Minutes from the third meeting of Beth-El Congregation, Oct. 5, 1902, handwritten in pencil on the back of a courthouse circular. The reverse side of the minutes is a Courthouse Circular, dated Oct. 3, 1902.
Date: October 5, 1902
Creator: Carb, Isidore, congregation secretary
Item Type: Text

[Photograph of the Torah March]

Description: Photograph of the Torah March, August 8, 2000, during which members of Beth-El Congregation carry Torah scrolls from the old synagogue to the new. The march was organized to transport the congregation's six handwritten Torah scrolls 7.5 miles from the old synagogue at 207 W. Broadway Avenue to the temple's new building at 4900 Briarhaven Road. In this image, those at the front of the march include several teenagers in the temple youth group. The Torahs, usually covered with velvet mantles, are protected with white terry-cloth covers decorated with a blue Jewish star. Also at the front of the procession are members of the color guard from Jewish War Veterans Martin Hochster Post #755. Some of the other 300 congregants who participated are visible in the background.
Date: August 13, 2000
Item Type: Photograph

[Photograph of the Torah March]

Description: Photograph of teenagers from the Fort Worth Federation of Temple Youth carrying the Torahs during the Torah march. The Torah march was organized to carry the six handwritten Torah scrolls 7.5 miles from the old synagogue at 207 W. Broadway Avenue to the new Temple Beth-El location at 4900 Briarhaven Road. In this image, five teenagers carry the Torahs (covered by white terry-cloth covers decorated with a blue Jewish star) in a line. From left to right, they are: Adam Hollander, Corey Pew, Tommy Campbell, Micah Horton, and Sarah Rausch. An unidentified young girl is visible in the foreground and parked cars are visible in the background. Handwritten text on the back of the photo says, "Beth-El Archives, Torah March, Aug. 13, 2000, FWFTY carriers of Torahs."
Date: August 13, 2000
Item Type: Photograph