Beth-El Congregation Archives, Fort Worth - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

[Façade, Beth-El Congregation, 1949]

Description: Exterior photograph of the facade of the Beth-El Congregation synagogue at 207 W. Broadway Avenue in Fort Worth. The building was restored after a fire. The congregation occupied the building from 1920 until 2000. It is still standing.
Date: 1951
Creator: Lawrence Thomas-Allen Co.
Item Type: Photograph

[Floating Star, Interior of Beth-El Congregation Sanctuary]

Description: Photograph of the floating star which was suspended from the ceiling as part of the interior design of the sanctuary when Beth-El was rebuilt in 1948 after the 1946 fire. The interior designer was the Hungarian-American architect Erno Fabry.
Date: 1948
Creator: Joe Weisberg
Item Type: Photograph

[Gernsbacher Cafe Supply Co.]

Description: Photograph of the Gernsbacher Cafe Supply Company, located at 1011 Houston Street in Fort Worth around the year 1950. The building is three stories tall, the cafe supply is on the ground floor, with what look to be apartments on the 2nd and 3rd floors. There is a truck with "Gernsbacher Cafe Supplies" printed on the driver's door. Several people are standing outside the store looking at the camera.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph

[Groundbreaking, Dan Danciger Jewish Community Center]

Description: Six men in suits dig shovels into dirt at the groundbreaking of the Dan Danciger Jewish Community Center in 1964. The name tag of the man second from the left reads "Jake Feldman" and the man third from the left has a name tag which says "Louis Bockstein," the other men are unknown. The sign in the background reads: "Dan Danciger Jewish Community Center Cadenhead Construction Co. Inc. General Contractor Wyatt C. Hedrick Architect - Engineer Sub-Contractors" The names below "Sub-Contractors" are obscured by the men in the foreground.
Date: 1964
Creator: Don Barnett Photography
Item Type: Photograph

[Hebrew Institute to Congregation Ahavath Sholom]

Description: Exterior photograph of the Hebrew Institute to Congregation Ahavath Sholom in the 800 block Taylor Street in Fort Worth. From 1910 until 1951 the building served as a place for Hebrew School classes and meetings, it also functioned as a gym. There are two "For Lease" signs on the front of the building.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph

[Henry and Julia Faulk Gernsbacher. 1930]

Description: Henry and Julia Faulk Gernsbacher (1859-1935) pose for their 50th wedding anniversary photo in 1930. Henry Gernsbacher (1858-1936), a kitchen-supply merchant, was the founder of Fort Worth's Beth-El Congregation. The couple had six sons. Their family business remained in operation until the end of the century.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph

[Holiday of Succot, ca. 1949-1950]

Description: Students of the Beth-El Congregation celebrate the Holiday of Succot around 1949-1950. They built a succah, a tabernacle or booth covered with seasonal greens and fruits, on the altar of the synagogue at 207 W. Broadway Ave., Fort Worth.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph

[Holiday Succot in 2007]

Description: Two photographs of Rabbi Ralph Meckleburger entertaining children during the Holiday of Succot in 2007, outdoors at Beth-El Congregation, 4900 Briarhaven Rd. The succah, or tabernacle, is built outdoors. Page from a thank you letter to the rabbi. " Thank you! 2007 Dear Rabbi Mecklenburger, Thank you for helping us celebrate Sukkot. We all loved the story you told and enjoyed swaying to the songs you played. Todah, Rachel Yaacobi on behalf of Lil Goldman's students and staff."
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph

[In Memoriam]

Description: Wolf & Klar Jewelers' 163 employees signed a certificate giving a Torah to the Beth-El Congregation in 1947 in memory of company founder Alex Wolf. The synagogue, at 207 W. Broadway, was gutted in a 1946 fire and lost most of its Torahs. A photograph of Alex Wolf is in the upper-left corner and a Wolf & Klar Jewelers' logo which says "In Memoriam" is in the lower-right corner. The text at the top of the certificate says: "In loving memory and respect for our beloved founder, Mr. Alex Wolf, we the employees of Wolf & Klar Companies, dedicate this torah to Beth El congregation, as a memorial to his love and kindness of his fellow men."
Date: 1947
Item Type: Text

[Interior, Beth-El Congregation Sanctuary, after 1981 remodeling]

Description: Interior photograph of the remodeled sanctuary at the Beth-El Congregation at 207 W. Broadway Ave in Fort Worth. Theatre-style chairs circle around a central podium. Large stained-glass windows are visible on the far right and fiberglass lamps, evoking a flock of dove, hang from the ceiling. The sanctuary was designed by St. Louis architect John Mike Cohen.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph

[Interior of Beth-El Congregation Sanctuary]

Description: Photograph of the interior of the second house of worship for Fort Worth's Reform Jewish congregation after being remodeled in 1981. This image was taken with the main lights turned off to show the sanctuary's 72 Castelli fiberglass lights, which evoke the imagery of a flock of doves. The stained glass in the background dates to the 1948 remodeling.
Date: 2000
Creator: Lauer, Ralph
Item Type: Photograph

[Main sanctuary at new synagogue, Beth-El Congregation]

Description: Panoramic photograph of the interior of of the synagogue of the Beth-El Congregation at 4900 Briarhaven Rd in Fort Worth which was completed in August of 2000. The photograph was taken from the balcony. The seating on the floor fills the bottom half of the photo while large stained-glass windows fill the back wall.
Date: 2000
Creator: Fittipaldi, Mary Ann
Item Type: Photograph

[Main sanctuary, Beth-El, ca. late 1920's or mid-1930's]

Description: Children celebrating the holidays of Succot and Simchat Torah in the main sanctuary of the Beth-El Congregation, 207 W. Broadway, taken in the late 1920s or mid-1930s. This rare photo is among the few that show the original interior of the temple sanctuary, which featured a choir loft and a pipe organ.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph

[Menorah Sculpture]

Description: Menorah Sculpture cast in bronze by artist Gene Owens. The sculpture was created in 1962 for the Galveston Street entrance to the new religious-school wing of Beth-El Congregation. In the summer of 2000, the sculpture was moved to the congregation's new building at 4900 Briarhaven Rd., where this picture was taken in 2002. Beth-El's archivist, Hollace Weiner, stands behind the sculpture.
Date: 2002
Creator: Owens, Gene
Item Type: Photograph

[Minutes, third meeting of Beth-El Congregation, October 5, 1902]

Description: Minutes from the third meeting of Beth-El Congregation, Oct. 5, 1902, handwritten in pencil on the back of a courthouse circular. The reverse side of the minutes is a Courthouse Circular, dated Oct. 3, 1902.
Date: October 5, 1902
Creator: Carb, Isidore, congregation secretary
Item Type: Text

Painting of the First Rabbi of Beth-El Congregation, Rabbi Solomon Philo

Description: Painting of the first rabbi of Beth-El Congregation, Rabbi Solomon Philo (1842-1923). Hired on probation for $100 a month, he served the congregation for its first four months, from September through December of 1902. In the painting, he is a bearded man with white hair and waxed mustache studying from a book on a table in front of him. He wears a dark suit with a bow tie and black skull cap. There are two rings on his fingers and he is leaning on the table.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Artwork

[Past presidents, B'nai B'rith Lodge, Ft Worth]

Description: Photograph of the past presidents of the B'nai B'rith Lodge in Fort Worth. There are seventeen men in two rows with a singular man standing by himself behind the second row. The men in the front row are seated in padded chairs and those behind are standing. They are in an unknown room with vertical stripes on the wall behind them and a patterned carpet on the floor. Seated, left to right: Arthur Rosenthal; unidentified; Herbie Berkowitz; Jack Gerrick; unidentified; Buddy Rosen; Leon Gachman. Standing, left to right: Jerry Wolens; Lou Barnett; Ben Gilbert; Joe Herman; Wally Nass; Sidney Raimey; Max Kaye; Milton Simon; Sidney Levinson; Al Wexler.
Date: c. 1960
Item Type: Photograph

[Photograph of Isidore Carb]

Description: Portrait of Isidore Carb (1852-1915) wearing a dark-colored suit, visible from the waist up. Carb, a cotton broker and real estate appraiser, was a Mississippi native who came to Fort Worth in 1882. He was one of the founding members of the Beth-El Congregation in 1902. The photograph is on a light-colored paper and attached to a dark mat board.
Date: unknown
Item Type: Photograph

[Photograph of the Beth-El Synagogue]

Description: Photograph of the east side of Beth-El Congregation's third synagogue located at 4900 Briarhaven Rd. in Fort Worth, Texas. This image was taken shortly after the congregation moved to this location in 2000 and it shows one side of the exterior including large windows near the roof. The building was designed by Fort Worth Architect David Stanford. It was constructed by DeMoss Co.
Date: 2000
Creator: Wilson, Ray
Item Type: Photograph

[Photograph of the Exterior Corner Detail of Beth-El Temple]

Description: Photograph is a detail of the exterior corner of Beth-El Congregation's third synagogue located at 4900 Briarhaven Rd., Fort Worth. The photo, taken shortly after the building was completed in 2000, includes close-up details of the light-colored limestone bricks and the underside of the roof with its original copper color.
Date: 2000
Item Type: Photograph