Beth-El Congregation Archives, Fort Worth - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

[Gernsbacher Cafe Supply Co.]

Description: Photograph of the Gernsbacher Cafe Supply Company, located at 1011 Houston Street in Fort Worth around the year 1950. The building is three stories tall, the cafe supply is on the ground floor, with what look to be apartments on the 2nd and 3rd floors. There is a truck with "Gernsbacher Cafe Supplies" printed on the driver's door. Several people are standing outside the store looking at the camera.
Date: unknown

[Groundbreaking, Dan Danciger Jewish Community Center]

Description: Six men in suits dig shovels into dirt at the groundbreaking of the Dan Danciger Jewish Community Center in 1964. The name tag of the man second from the left reads "Jake Feldman" and the man third from the left has a name tag which says "Louis Bockstein," the other men are unknown. The sign in the background reads: "Dan Danciger Jewish Community Center Cadenhead Construction Co. Inc. General Contractor Wyatt C. Hedrick Architect - Engineer Sub-Contractors" The names below "Sub-Contractors" are obscured by the men in the foreground.
Date: 1964
Creator: Don Barnett Photography

[Henry and Julia Faulk Gernsbacher. 1930]

Description: Henry and Julia Faulk Gernsbacher (1859-1935) pose for their 50th wedding anniversary photo in 1930. Henry Gernsbacher (1858-1936), a kitchen-supply merchant, was the founder of Fort Worth's Beth-El Congregation. The couple had six sons. Their family business remained in operation until the end of the century.
Date: unknown

[Holiday Succot in 2007]

Description: Two photographs of Rabbi Ralph Meckleburger entertaining children during the Holiday of Succot in 2007, outdoors at Beth-El Congregation, 4900 Briarhaven Rd. The succah, or tabernacle, is built outdoors. Page from a thank you letter to the rabbi. " Thank you! 2007 Dear Rabbi Mecklenburger, Thank you for helping us celebrate Sukkot. We all loved the story you told and enjoyed swaying to the songs you played. Todah, Rachel Yaacobi on behalf of Lil Goldman's students and staff."
Date: unknown

[In Memoriam]

Description: Wolf & Klar Jewelers' 163 employees signed a certificate giving a Torah to the Beth-El Congregation in 1947 in memory of company founder Alex Wolf. The synagogue, at 207 W. Broadway, was gutted in a 1946 fire and lost most of its Torahs. A photograph of Alex Wolf is in the upper-left corner and a Wolf & Klar Jewelers' logo which says "In Memoriam" is in the lower-right corner. The text at the top of the certificate says: "In loving memory and respect for our beloved founder, Mr. Alex Wolf, we the employees of Wolf & Klar Companies, dedicate this torah to Beth El congregation, as a memorial to his love and kindness of his fellow men."
Date: 1947

[Interior, Beth-El Congregation Sanctuary, after 1981 remodeling]

Description: Interior photograph of the remodeled sanctuary at the Beth-El Congregation at 207 W. Broadway Ave in Fort Worth. Theatre-style chairs circle around a central podium. Large stained-glass windows are visible on the far right and fiberglass lamps, evoking a flock of dove, hang from the ceiling. The sanctuary was designed by St. Louis architect John Mike Cohen.
Date: unknown

[Interior of Beth-El Congregation Sanctuary]

Description: Photograph of the interior of the second house of worship for Fort Worth's Reform Jewish congregation after being remodeled in 1981. This image was taken with the main lights turned off to show the sanctuary's 72 Castelli fiberglass lights, which evoke the imagery of a flock of doves. The stained glass in the background dates to the 1948 remodeling.
Date: 2000
Creator: Lauer, Ralph

[Menorah Sculpture]

Description: Menorah Sculpture cast in bronze by artist Gene Owens. The sculpture was created in 1962 for the Galveston Street entrance to the new religious-school wing of Beth-El Congregation. In the summer of 2000, the sculpture was moved to the congregation's new building at 4900 Briarhaven Rd., where this picture was taken in 2002. Beth-El's archivist, Hollace Weiner, stands behind the sculpture.
Date: 2002
Creator: Owens, Gene

Painting of the First Rabbi of Beth-El Congregation, Rabbi Solomon Philo

Description: Painting of the first rabbi of Beth-El Congregation, Rabbi Solomon Philo (1842-1923). Hired on probation for $100 a month, he served the congregation for its first four months, from September through December of 1902. In the painting, he is a bearded man with white hair and waxed mustache studying from a book on a table in front of him. He wears a dark suit with a bow tie and black skull cap. There are two rings on his fingers and he is leaning on the table.
Date: unknown

[Past presidents, B'nai B'rith Lodge, Ft Worth]

Description: Photograph of the past presidents of the B'nai B'rith Lodge in Fort Worth. There are seventeen men in two rows with a singular man standing by himself behind the second row. The men in the front row are seated in padded chairs and those behind are standing. They are in an unknown room with vertical stripes on the wall behind them and a patterned carpet on the floor. Seated, left to right: Arthur Rosenthal; unidentified; Herbie Berkowitz; Jack Gerrick; unidentified; Buddy Rosen; Leon Gachman. Standing, left to right: Jerry Wolens; Lou Barnett; Ben Gilbert; Joe Herman; Wally Nass; Sidney Raimey; Max Kaye; Milton Simon; Sidney Levinson; Al Wexler.
Date: 1960~

[Photograph of Isidore Carb]

Description: Portrait of Isidore Carb (1852-1915) wearing a dark-colored suit, visible from the waist up. Carb, a cotton broker and real estate appraiser, was a Mississippi native who came to Fort Worth in 1882. He was one of the founding members of the Beth-El Congregation in 1902. The photograph is on a light-colored paper and attached to a dark mat board.
Date: unknown

[Photograph of the Beth-El Synagogue]

Description: Photograph of the east side of Beth-El Congregation's third synagogue located at 4900 Briarhaven Rd. in Fort Worth, Texas. This image was taken shortly after the congregation moved to this location in 2000 and it shows one side of the exterior including large windows near the roof. The building was designed by Fort Worth Architect David Stanford. It was constructed by DeMoss Co.
Date: 2000
Creator: Wilson, Ray