Burnet County Historical Commission - 5 Matching Results

Search Results

[Bell, Plaque, and Flower Vases on Stone Construction]

Description: Slide of a medium-sized plaque placed within a type of stone altar. Mounted on top is a black bell with a supporting structure holding it upright. Two pots flank either side, both of which have a register of decorative schema running along their width. "Elephant ear" plants have been placed inside them. The actual plaque has an inscription of text in golden relief. It reads: "This property has been placed on the National Register of Historical Places by the United States Department of the Interior."
Date: unknown

[Black's Fort Stone Slab in Grassy Field]

Description: Slide of a pointed stone slab placed in the middle of an unkempt field of grass, amidst red and yellow flowers. An aged wooden fence can be seen in the back, creating a boundary between the stone and a larger field in the background. The slab bears an inscription just beneath a small relief of a five-pointed slab within a wreath. It reads: "Black's Fort - Built as a defense against the Indians in 1855 by William Black - 1815 - - 1907 - on land owned by him. In the stockade, constructed of cedar logs, sentries were kept on guard on moonlight nights * Guns and ammunition for public use were kept here * Abandoned in 1868."
Date: unknown

[Mount Horeb Lodge]

Description: Slide of a long, presumably two-story, structure known as Mount Horeb Lodge. An inclined, metal roofing sits atop the blue-tinted stone structure with multiple, sequential double-hung windows. On the far right, a garage-type entry can be seen, fully opened. A narrow, dirt path leads up to a door on the far left of the structure. The State Historical Survey Committee has placed its name on the signpost in the foreground, inscribed in small print around the circle surrounding an image of the state of Texas. The line of text that follows reads: "Mount Horeb Lodge - Chartered Jan. 21, 1854; met in log schoolhouse. Erected own lodge hall 1856 on land given by grand master Sam Mather and B. K. Stewart, first floor used as church and school. A fire in 1915 razed hall. Lodge rebuilt here 1916 on land given by G. T. and W. J. Williams. (1967)"
Date: unknown

[Stone Slab Near Water]

Description: Color slide of a stone slab on a grassy hill, a short distance away from a body of water. The slab is center right, and bears an inscription just below a high relief wreath enclosing a five-pointed star. The inscription reads: "Site of A settlement made in 1851 by 20 Mormon families under the leadership of Lyman Wight 1796-1858 * * Here they built homes, lumber mills, and shops for the manufacture of furniture * Abandoned in 1853" A smaller line of text below reads: "Erected by the State of Texas 1936" Accompanying information names the settlement Mormon Mill.
Date: 1936/OPEN

[Strickling Town Post in Front of Fenced Grassy Area]

Description: Slide of a signpost demarcating the site of Strickling, Texas. The post is on the far left, in front of a wire and wood fence that has been placed among tall, unkempt grasses. Small yellow inflections of color from the foliage can be seen behind it, with trees of varying heights in the very back. On the actual signpost, a line of text follows an emblem of the state of Texas, and it reads: "Site of town of Strickling -- Once a busy rural community. Named for Mrs. Martha (Webster) Strickling, who settled here in 1853 with husband Marmaduke. As child, she survived killing of some 30 settlers in infamous Webster massacre near Leander, and months of indian captivity. Post office opened here, 1857. And Strickling became a mail terminal and stage stop. Tons of lumber and buffalo hides were hauled through here. The town had a school, churches, a doctor's office, and stores. Strickling gradually declined when bypassed by the railroad, 1882. Only the cemetery remains. (1970)"
Date: 1970~