Description: Slide of a pointed stone slab placed in the middle of an unkempt field of grass, amidst red and yellow flowers. An aged wooden fence can be seen in the back, creating a boundary between the stone and a larger field in the background. The slab bears an inscription just beneath a small relief of a five-pointed slab within a wreath. It reads: "Black's Fort - Built as a defense against the Indians in 1855 by William Black - 1815 - - 1907 - on land owned by him. In the stockade, constructed of cedar logs, sentries were kept on guard on moonlight nights * Guns and ammunition for public use were kept here * Abandoned in 1868."
Item Type: Photograph