Burnet County Historical Commission - 16 Matching Results

Search Results

[Stone Slab Near Water]

Description: Color slide of a stone slab on a grassy hill, a short distance away from a body of water. The slab is center right, and bears an inscription just below a high relief wreath enclosing a five-pointed star. The inscription reads: "Site of A settlement made in 1851 by 20 Mormon families under the leadership of Lyman Wight 1796-1858 * * Here they built homes, lumber mills, and shops for the manufacture of furniture * Abandoned in 1853" A smaller line of text below reads: "Erected by the State of Texas 1936" Accompanying information names the settlement Mormon Mill.
Date: 1936/OPEN

[Strickling Town Post in Front of Fenced Grassy Area]

Description: Slide of a signpost demarcating the site of Strickling, Texas. The post is on the far left, in front of a wire and wood fence that has been placed among tall, unkempt grasses. Small yellow inflections of color from the foliage can be seen behind it, with trees of varying heights in the very back. On the actual signpost, a line of text follows an emblem of the state of Texas, and it reads: "Site of town of Strickling -- Once a busy rural community. Named for Mrs. Martha (Webster) Strickling, who settled here in 1853 with husband Marmaduke. As child, she survived killing of some 30 settlers in infamous Webster massacre near Leander, and months of indian captivity. Post office opened here, 1857. And Strickling became a mail terminal and stage stop. Tons of lumber and buffalo hides were hauled through here. The town had a school, churches, a doctor's office, and stores. Strickling gradually declined when bypassed by the railroad, 1882. Only the cemetery remains. (1970)"
Date: 1970~

[Wide Shot Photograph of a Landscape]

Description: Slide of a large expanse of terrain. A tall sloping hill is visible in the background across the width of the photograph. Several lines of trees in succession can also be seen running the width of the image, with large gaps formed by the areas which they do not occupy. In the very distance, on the left, there appears to be a single-story structure. Its gabled and light-colored roof can be seen, as well as a chimney and perhaps a patio, nestled among a group of leafy trees.
Date: unknown

[Wooden Lodge Past Wire Fence and Grassy Field]

Description: Slide of small, single-story structure constructed out of horizontal wooden posts. The gable roof is missing its pediment, revealing a dark interior. On both sides, it is flanked by a short rock wall, with tall, unkempt grasses crowding it. Additionally, there appears to be a kind of outdoor chimney on the left side of the house, behind the wall. Near the foreground, a few species of flowers can be seen, as well as a wire fence. Accompanying information assigns the name "Black's Fort" to the location.
Date: unknown