This system will be undergoing maintenance Tuesday, March 28 from 1:00 PM to 3:00 PM CST
Cooke County Library - Browse
Filters have been applied to your results. Adjust settings from lower-left menu.
- [Portrait of Mrs. Margaret Hill]
- Photograph of a woman identified as Mrs. Margaret Hill, at Cooke County Library in Gainesville, Texas. She is sitting in a chair at a desk; she is wearing glasses and a patterned, blue dress. The woman is holding a book in her hands with cartoon cat figures and "Richard Scarry's Best First Book Ever!" printed on the cover. In the background, there are shelves filled with various items.
- [Portrait of Six Library Staff Members]
- Photograph of six library staff members at Cooke County Library in Gainesville, Texas. They are identified (from left to right) as Kay Bishop, Helen Neu, Ann Woods, Barbara Callaway, Fay Monden, and Dora Ward. They are standing behind a tall desk with books and stacks of cards on it. In the background, there is a card catalog and shelves filled with VHS video tapes.
- [Reading Room]
- Photograph of the Reading Room at Cooke County Library in Gainesville, Texas. There is a filled bookshelf to the left, and several tables and chairs set up to the right. A clock is hanging above the bookshelf and first table. In the background, there is a doorway to another room and shorter, filled bookshelves.
- [Reading Room and Periodical Section]
- Photograph of the Reading Room and Periodical Section. Two men wearing glasses are reading books at a table. Behind the men, a woman and man are reading books at a second table. A third table is in the background. To the right of the image, a man is standing and looking towards shelves filled with periodicals; the shelves border the room. In the background, there are windows and a painting of a man above the shelves.
- [Rear Entrance of Bookmobile]
- Photograph of the rear entrance of the Bookmobile. One woman is standing in the Bookmobile. A man wearing a suit and hat and a woman wearing a dress, flower corsage, and hat are sitting in the doorway of the Bookmobile.
- [Rear Entrance of Bookmobile]
- Photograph of rear entrance of the Bookmobile. One woman is standing inside the Bookmobile. One man wearing a suit and hat is standing halfway on a step and in the doorway. In the background, there is a building.
- [Reference Department and Stacks]
- Photograph of the Reference Department and Stacks (in back of loan desk) in the Carnegie Building. Two tables with lamps on the tops and chairs surrounding them are in the center of the image; two rows of school desks are on each side of the tables. Five rows of tall shelves filled with books are to the left of the tables. In the background, there is a water fountain beside a wall to the right, shorter bookshelves, and windows above them. Text below the image says "Reference department and stacks[,] back of loan desk. Public Library, Gainesville[,] Texas. Boyd [and] Breeding."
- [Registration Card for Cooke County Library]
- Registration card for Avinelle Davis, a patron of Cooke County Library. The card features the patron's name, address, occupation, and reference (Nellie E. Davis). It is one of the first registration cards for the library.
- [Shipping Receipt from Wells Fargo and Company Express]
- Shipping receipt from Wells Fargo and Company Express. The receipt includes shipping information along with terms and conditions.
- [Short History of Cooke County Library]
- Document of a brief history of Cooke County Library, including information and statistics beginning from the early 1900s. It discusses the need for a new library which would be built in 1963.
- [Technical Drawing of Card Catalogs]
- Technical drawing proposing additional card catalogs in the Cooke County Library. The plan shows the dimensions of the catalog cabinets and also has an inset sketch (in the upper-left corner) of the cabinets' relationship to the surrounding shelving as viewed from above. Scale 1:24.
- [Two Cooke County Library Branches]
- Photographs of two branches of the Cooke County Library system. The top image is identified as Carnegie Library. The brick building is two-stories high, with a stairway leading to a doorway in the front. Windows covered by awnings are on both sides the stairway. Trees surround the building and street sign is located on the corner that says "Main," "Denton," and has a "One Way" sign with an arrow pointing right. Text above the image says "Book # T148 [/] NSI ID H4650099.08 [/] Story 99 [/] PIC 1 [/] COLS 1 [/] 58% [/] Page # [/] Picture # [/] T148 [c]Gainesville Carnegie Library." The bottom image is identified as Cooke County Library on Weaver Street in Gainesville, Texas. There are two doorways set back from the front wall of the building. The front is made of two patterned brick sections, with a light-colored section in the center; text in the center says "Cook Cou[nty Libra]ry." Two sets of steps lead to the building, and a tree is growing in between them. Text above the image says "Book # T148 [/] NSI ID H4650099.08 [/] Story 99 [/] PIC 2 [/] COLS 1 [/] 58% [/] Page # [/] Picture # [/] T148 [c]Cooke County Library [md] We." Text below the image says "Cooke County Library[,] Weaver Street Between Main [and] Pecan[.] 1963 -."