Dr. Pound Historical Farmstead

About the Homestead

The Homestead's artifacts include books, photographs, correspondence, medical supplies, textiles, and furniture dating from 1854-1963.

In 1983, the estate of Dr. Pound's granddaughter Marguerite Cavett Hammack gave the family property, buildings, and their contents, to be established as a museum. This donation included the six-room home (started in 1854) with dog trot, porches, arbor, four fireplaces and water collection cistern, the stone smokehouse with porch, the side-gabled double crib barn, windmill, outhouse, corrals, stone walls and some fencing, and all existing contents of original buildings.

History

Joseph and Sarah Pound comprised one of the founding families of Dripping Springs. They built their log home in 1854 and created additions as their family grew to include nine children. Initially a farmer, Dr. Pound was able to work primarily as a physician after serving in the civil war as the area grew. He also bought and sold land around Dripping Springs.

The Pounds' daughter, Georgia, and her daughter, Marguerite, both teachers, lived in the house until 1983. The majority of the artifacts in the museum belonged to these three generations of Pounds.

Renovations of the buildings and property have been ongoing since 1993. In 1963, the house became a Texas Historic Landmark, and in 1995 the property was entered into the National Register of Historic Places. The museum is open for tours throughout the week, with information available on the Homestead website.

Contact

Andrea Larson

512-858-2030

poundhouse@verizon.net

Address

Friends of the Pound House Foundation
P.O. Box 1150
Dripping Springs, TX 78620



At a Glance