Photograph of the Ariel Club members taken in front of the home of Mrs. John C. Coit. Pictured are: Back row: Eulallie Wright, Mrs. Joe L. Long, Mrs. H. F. Schweer, Lee Williams, Mrs. Prove Mounts, Mrs. Will Wright, Mrs. Alex R. Hann, Myrtle Brooks, Mrs. H. G. Allen, Helen Smith, Sallie Thornely. Middle Row: Mrs. Sidney J. Carroll, Mrs. J. S. Kendall, Mrs. S. A. Gibson, Mrs. John C. Coit, Mrs. C. T. Ramsdell, Mrs. Pearl McCracken, Mrs. M. S. Stout. Front row: Mrs. W. C. Edwards, Mrs. C. F. Witherspoon, Miss Alice Mounts, Mrs. L. H. Schweer, Miss Nora M. Hulett, Mrs. Charles Saunders.
Photograph of the Little Elm 20th Century Band of 1908-1910. The members are posing with their instruments and in uniform. A caption identifying the members is included. Photograph of the Little Elm "Reds" baseball team of 1908-1910. The members are posing in uniform. A caption identifying them is included.
Burial of John B. Denton on the lawn of the Denton County Courthouse. The pall bearers were John W. Gober, E. B. Orr, L. Willis, J. M. Swisher, J. H. Hawkins, W. C. Wright. Rev. J. T. Denton, one of John B. Denton's sons, was in charge of the services. Son John B. Denton, Jr. and grandson Wiliam Baker were also present.
Group of individuals on the Denton Square for the burial of John B. Denton on the lawn of the Denton County Courthouse. The pallbearers are E. B. Orr, L. Willis, J. M. Swisher, John W. Gober, J.H. Hawkins, and W. C. Wright. The Minnis and Curtis Drugstore can be seen in the southeast corner of the square. The Exchange National Bank can be seen in the background. This photo was given to the Library by Bess Minnis McFadden, according to a Denton Record Chronicle article from July 2, 1967.
Group portrait of the Denton Athletic Club's baseball team in uniform. Pictured are: (top row, from left to right) Frank Case (3rd base), Guy Witherspoon (shortstop), Robert Edwards, Lawrence Schweer (1st base); (middle row, from left to right) Aubrey Terrell (right fielder), Will Edwards (Manager), Ford Witherspoon (2nd base); (bottom row from left to right) Alex Hann (pitcher), Timmons, Bala Williams (left fielder), Ed Hann (catcher).
Team photo of the 1908 Denton High School girls' basketball team. The team photo is printed over an image of a basketball on a white background. Pictured are: Maude Bruce (coach), Nell Bayless, Lucille Blewett, Emma Bell Lipscomb, Susie Davidson, Lula Evers, Maude Zumwalt, Katie Bass, Blanch Thomason, Mary Williams. Mary Williams later married Woodson A. Harris after completing a teaching certificate at UNT (then Normal College). They had four children and lived the majority of their lives at 425 Fry Street.
Team photo of the 1907 Denton High School girls' basketball team. Pictured are: Katie Bass, Bess Browder, Lula Evers, Mary Williams, Alice Mounts, Maude Bruce, Mary Bart, Ina Fritz, Alice Cowan, Emma Belle Lipscomb, Lola Parker, Anna Banks, Nell Bayless, Blanche Thomason. The newspaper caption read: Girls' Basketball Team. "These young ladies were members of Denton High School's second basketball team. All but two of them changed their names with marriage. Their married names and their residences were supplied by Mrs. Clarence A. Tripp of Denton, the former Lula Evers. Kneeling, left to right, are Emma Belle Lipscomb (Mrs. Owen Johnson of California), Lola Parker (Mrs. E. H. Walpole of Oklahoma City), Anna Banks (now Dr. Banks of New York City), Nell Bayless (Mrs. John Underwood of Dallas), Blanche Thomason (Mrs. David C. Wiley of Monahans). Standing left to right, Katie Bass (Mrs. Donald O'Neil of Dallas), Bess Browder (Mrs. Bess McCullar of Taos, N.M.), Lula Evers (Mrs. Tripp), Mary Williams (Mrs. J. B. Stevenson of Wellington), Coach Alice Mounts (Mrs. Clarence Cockerell of Dallas), Coach Maud Bruce (Mrs. Campbell Duggan of Opalika, Ala.), Mary Barb (Mrs. Joe Elliott of Forney), Ina Fritz, (Mrs. M. L. O'Banion of Houston) and Alice Cowan (Dr. Cowan of Canyon).
Exterior of Henry Selz's house. Their "new" Buick automobile is parked in the foreground on the left and the house is set off by a white picket fence. Tall trees flank the house on either side. The year 1908 is written on the back of the photograph, along with the notes, "The Henry Senz Home, father of Earl, Leo & Pinter. Note the "new Buick." "Moody & Earl had many wonderful trips in it before their marriage." As an "aside", an article appeared in the Denton Record-Chronicle on May 8, 1912, entitled, "Denton Boys in Auto Smash-Up." Henry Selz, Jr., was driving the family automobile, along with his brother Piner Selz and their friend Horace Maynard, when it slid off the road and went into an embankment. The automobile was reported as going 25-35 miles-per-hour. Horace Maynard suffered internal injuries and a broken hip. The automobile also suffered the loss of both front fenders and a few dents. The car belonged to Mr. Henry Selz, Sr.
Exterior of the Boylan Tailor Shop and R.K. Rains' Barbershop, located on the north side of the square. There is a buggy in the foreground to the right. The tailor shop was originally opened by F.J. Boylan, the second man from the right, his stepsons, John W. and Walter R. "Rube" Scott are to his left, an unidentified African-American male stands on the far right. A barbershop pole and two signs hang from the shop to the right. The signs say: Hot & Cold Baths; and R.K. Rains. Richard Kerr Rains owned the R.K. Rains Barber Shop until he sold his business in April of 1910 to Ed Roberts. In 1912, the Boylan & Co., Merchant and Scott Tailoring Co. combined and formed the Scott Tailor Company. According to the 1910 Census, John W. Scott was 23 in 1910, his occupation was listed as "Tailor" and he owned the business. Walter R. Scott was 27 and his occupation was "Tailor in men's clothing." Later, in the 1923 Retail Merchants' Association's Denton City Directory, the brothers have several businesses: John W. Tailoring Co., on the west side of the square; Walter Scott was the Manager of the North Side Tailor Shop, and also listed as the "Proprietor" of a Dry Cleaning & Press Shop, also located on the north side.
Group portrait of all of the ex-sheriffs of Denton County who were still alive, or available for a portrait at that time, except Williams S. "W. S." (Bill) Fry, who was out of town. Standing in the top row, from left to right: Sam Hawkins and Warren Elisha "W. E." (Lish) Durbin. Sitting in the bottom row, from left to right: Charles Alexander "C. A." (Alex) Williams, Christopher Columbus "C. C." (Lum) Daugherty, William F."W F." Egan, and Captain Robert Henry "R. H." (Bob) Hopkins. Charles Alexander Williams was Sheriff from 1856-1858 & 1866-1868; Christopher Columbus (Lum) Daugherty from 1860-1862; William F. Egan from 1869-1878; Robert Henry Hopkins from 1878-1882; Sam Hawkins was Sheriff from 1894-1900; Warren Elisha Durbin from 1900-1904.
Group portrait of all of the ex-sheriffs of Denton County at the time, except W. S. (Bill) Fry, who was not in town at the time. Standing in the top row, from left to right: Sam Hawkins and Warren Elisha "W. E." (Lish) Durbin. Sitting in the bottom row, from left to right: Charles Alexander "C. A." (Alex) Williams, Christopher Columbus "C. C." (Lum) Daugherty, Walter F. "W. F." Egan, and Captain "Robert Henry "R. H." (Bob) Hopkins.
Groups portrait of all of the ex-sheriffs of Denton County at the time, except W. S. (Bill) Fry, who was not in town at the time. Standing in the top row, from left to right: Sam Hawkings and W. E. (Lish) Durbin. Sitting in the bottom row, from left to right: Charles Alexander "C. A." (Alex) Williams, Christopher Columbus "C. C." (Lum) Daugherty, Walter F. "W. F." Egan, and Captain Robert Harris "R. H." (Bob) Hopkins.
Gentry Thompson sits in an automobile in a dark suit and hat and looks towards the camera. A white dog is sitting in the car in front of him. Newspaper caption reads: First Auto Here - Gentry Thompson, ginner who fancied diamonds, cars and a pet bull dog, is shown here in his auto, the first in Denton. Note the tillertype steering mechanism. His constant companion, the bull dog, went along for the ride in the dawning machine age.
North Texas State Normal School's girls' Tip-Top basketball team. Pictured are: Hope McMinn, Esther Whittaker, Katherine Black, Sadie Roberts, Mary Belle Jones, Cassie Higgins, Beulah Davies, Justa Glass, Elizabeth Elliott, Volina Cohen, Dixie McDaniel, Marylee Matthews, Eula Moore.
Photograph of an artist's sketch depicting the death of John B. Denton in the Indian fight at Village Creek on May 24, 1841. Captain Denton and Captain Henry Stout, also shown in the sketch, were leading an advanced scouting party when they were ambushed on Village Creek near modern Fort Worth. Denton was killed and Stout severely wounded.
John Wesley Gober standing center-frame in front of a brick house. He is wearing a dark suit with vest and matching hat. There is a brick cellar to the right and trees are visible in the background. Information found on the back of the photograph: "John W. Gober was born in Marietta, Ga., March 14, 1826. Married Miss Mary Ann Comp, November 20, 1846. Moved to Fannin County, Texas 1851 - moved to Denton County 1853. Settled on Clear Creek near Bolivar. He served 4 years in the Confederate Army. He died Feb. 23, 1905 and was buried with Masonic honors in IOOF Cemetery. Joined Co. H, Eighteenth Regiment, a partisan Rangers."
Exterior view of the North Texas State University Old Normal Building. The Old Normal Building was built in 1891 and razed by lightning in 1907. The negative is a copy negative of a print tacked to a wall and then photographed.
Group of eighteen women in white dresses and caps from the Order of Macabees. Those identified are: Fannie Wiliams, Etta Woodsen, Edna Yerby Walker, Mollie Rich, Ada Bates Poling, Cora Mayer, Myrtle Joiner, Lizzie goode, Mollie Bushey, Gretna Cobb, Florence Elbert, Leona Bleweth, Fannie Blanks, Nellie Nipp, Annie Baker, Cora Bates, Eula Bates.
Pilot Point girls' basketball team. Those pictured are: Sadie Nance, Ethel Wilborne, Roberta Johnson, Bess Montgomery, Ella Elder, Hazel Nance, Mary Lane, Kate Cooper, Clara Scott, Maude Hendricks, Myrtle Pearce, Florence Parvin, Vera Gee, Lula Selz, Minnie Drake, and A. H. Gee holding a basketball on which is written, Pilot Point, 1902. The photo was taken in front of the Gee home.
Group picture of the Pine Knot Club taken in front of Tom Young's Drug Store in Lewisville, Texas. Pictured are: Bill Smith, [first name unknown] Harwell, [first name unknown] Lord, John Fox, Warren Durbin, [first name unknown] Dorsey, Milt Claytor, [first name unknown] Payne, [first name unknown] McAnally, "Squire" Terry [last name unknown], John Shipp, Cush Williams, George Mayfield, Bill Crawford, [first name unknown] Clayborne, Captain Sam Lusk, Tom Young, "Grandpa" [first name unknown] Carlisle.
Portrait of Nancy Jo "Nannie Joe" Minnis as a young girl, wearing a white ruffled dress and sitting in a wicker chair. She was the youngest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J. A. Minnis, and died of pneumonia at the age of 15 in 1912.
Mattie Lee Lacy with two men and six women, all unidentified, posing for the camera while on vacation in Mineral Wells. Mattie Lee Lacy is in the white striped dress. Two tents are visible, one on the right side of the frame and one in the background to the left. Written on the back in pencil: 1907. Written on the back in blue ink: Vacation at Mineral Wells 1097. Located on back of photo "Vacation at Mineral Wells Miss Mattie Lee Lacy of [TSCU & CO?)" (TSCO & CO difficult to decipher. Printed on the back of the photo: 4 Important Gateways 4 The Texas T and P Pacific Railway "No Trouble to Answer Questions." Best Passenger Service in Texas. E. P. Turner, G. P. A., Dallas, Texas.
Unidentified man and woman standing behind a round flower bed. The woman, on the left, is wearing a long dress, while the man is in a white shirt and dark tie and hat. To the left is a wooden picket fence and a cellar entrance is to the right. Written on top of photo in blue ink "The Selz Home"
Post card containing letter from Bettie to Miss Hallie Thurman of Denton, Texas. The post card was processed in Ft. Worth, Texas on April 2, 1909. The front of the post card contains a photograph of a house with wood siding and a porch with columns. A brick chimney is visible on the rear of the house.
Group portrait of ten men in suits. Four men are identified as Sidney, T. Carroll (bottom row, middle), Monroe Davenport (bottom row, far right), Emory B. Peter (top row, 4th from left), Frank Erwin Piner (top row, fifth from left); the other six men are unidentified.
This dialog allows you to filter your current search.
Each of the Years listed note their name and the number of records that will be limited down to if you choose that option.
The list can be sorted by name or the count.