Description: Exterior of the Boylan Tailor Shop and R.K. Rains' Barbershop, located on the north side of the square. There is a buggy in the foreground to the right. The tailor shop was originally opened by F.J. Boylan, the second man from the right, his stepsons, John W. and Walter R. "Rube" Scott are to his left, an unidentified African-American male stands on the far right. A barbershop pole and two signs hang from the shop to the right. The signs say: Hot & Cold Baths; and R.K. Rains. Richard Kerr Rains owned the R.K. Rains Barber Shop until he sold his business in April of 1910 to Ed Roberts. In 1912, the Boylan & Co., Merchant and Scott Tailoring Co. combined and formed the Scott Tailor Company. According to the 1910 Census, John W. Scott was 23 in 1910, his occupation was listed as "Tailor" and he owned the business. Walter R. Scott was 27 and his occupation was "Tailor in men's clothing." Later, in the 1923 Retail Merchants' Association's Denton City Directory, the brothers have several businesses: John W. Tailoring Co., on the west side of the square; Walter Scott was the Manager of the North Side Tailor Shop, and also listed as the "Proprietor" of a Dry Cleaning & Press Shop, also located on the north side.
Item Type: Refine your search to only Photograph