This system will be undergoing maintenance Monday, January 23 from 8:00 AM to 12:00 PM CST.
Denton Public Library - Browse
Showing: 11 - 34 of 100 Results.
Results as a List of Thumbnails and Descriptive Information Results as a Grid of Images Print This Result Page Keep up to Date with an RSS feed of results matching your query.
Filters have been applied to your results. Adjust settings from lower-left menu.
Description: Group portrait of the Denton Athletic Club's baseball team in uniform. Pictured are: (top row, from left to right) Frank Case (3rd base), Guy Witherspoon (shortstop), Robert Edwards, Lawrence Schweer (1st base); (middle row, from left to right) Aubrey Terrell (right fielder), Will Edwards (Manager), Ford Witherspoon (2nd base); (bottom row from left to right) Alex Hann (pitcher), Timmons, Bala Williams (left fielder), Ed Hann (catcher).
Creator: Williams Art Conference
Description: Book about Denton County in Texas, including location, climate, soils, water, agriculture, industries, other resources, factories, and Denton city.
Creator: Denton Chamber of Commerce
Description: Team photo of the 1908 Denton High School girls' basketball team. The team photo is printed over an image of a basketball on a white background. Pictured are: Maude Bruce (coach), Nell Bayless, Lucille Blewett, Emma Bell Lipscomb, Susie Davidson, Lula Evers, Maude Zumwalt, Katie Bass, Blanch Thomason, Mary Williams. Mary Williams later married Woodson A. Harris after completing a teaching certificate at UNT (then Normal College). They had four children and lived the majority of their lives at 425 Fry Street.
Description: Team photo of the 1907 Denton High School girls' basketball team. Pictured are: Katie Bass, Bess Browder, Lula Evers, Mary Williams, Alice Mounts, Maude Bruce, Mary Bart, Ina Fritz, Alice Cowan, Emma Belle Lipscomb, Lola Parker, Anna Banks, Nell Bayless, Blanche Thomason. The newspaper caption read: Girls' Basketball Team. "These young ladies were members of Denton High School's second basketball team. All but two of them changed their names with marriage. Their married names and their residences were supplied by Mrs. Clarence A. Tripp of Denton, the former Lula Evers. Kneeling, left to right, are Emma Belle Lipscomb (Mrs. Owen Johnson of California), Lola Parker (Mrs. E. H. Walpole of Oklahoma City), Anna Banks (now Dr. Banks of New York City), Nell Bayless (Mrs. John Underwood of Dallas), Blanche Thomason (Mrs. David C. Wiley of Monahans). Standing left to right, Katie Bass (Mrs. Donald O'Neil of Dallas), Bess Browder (Mrs. Bess McCullar of Taos, N.M.), Lula Evers (Mrs. Tripp), Mary Williams (Mrs. J. B. Stevenson of Wellington), Coach Alice Mounts (Mrs. Clarence Cockerell of Dallas), Coach Maud Bruce (Mrs. Campbell Duggan of Opalika, Ala.), Mary Barb (Mrs. Joe Elliott of Forney), Ina Fritz, (Mrs. M. L. O'Banion of Houston) and Alice Cowan (Dr. Cowan of Canyon).
Description: The twentieth annual commencement of Denton High School was held at Wright's Opera House on May 22, 1905. The program also contains information about the baccalaureate service, the names of the graduates, an order of services, and a list of faculty and board of trustees.
Date: c. 1905
Description: The Denton High School class of 1905 commencement was held at Wright's Opera House on Monday, May 22, 1905. This program includes information regarding the baccalaureate sermon, the names of the graduates, an order of services, the board of trustees, and the high school faculty.
Creator: Witherspoon, C.F.
Description: Exterior of Henry Selz's house. Their "new" Buick automobile is parked in the foreground on the left and the house is set off by a white picket fence. Tall trees flank the house on either side. The year 1908 is written on the back of the photograph, along with the notes, "The Henry Senz Home, father of Earl, Leo & Pinter. Note the "new Buick." "Moody & Earl had many wonderful trips in it before their marriage." As an "aside", an article appeared in the Denton Record-Chronicle on May 8, 1912, entitled, "Denton Boys in Auto Smash-Up." Henry Selz, Jr., was driving the family automobile, along with his brother Piner Selz and their friend Horace Maynard, when it slid off the road and went into an embankment. The automobile was reported as going 25-35 miles-per-hour. Horace Maynard suffered internal injuries and a broken hip. The automobile also suffered the loss of both front fenders and a few dents. The car belonged to Mr. Henry Selz, Sr.
Description: Exterior of the Boylan Tailor Shop and R.K. Rains' Barbershop, located on the north side of the square. There is a buggy in the foreground to the right. The tailor shop was originally opened by F.J. Boylan, the second man from the right, his stepsons, John W. and Walter R. "Rube" Scott are to his left, an unidentified African-American male stands on the far right. A barbershop pole and two signs hang from the shop to the right. The signs say: Hot & Cold Baths; and R.K. Rains. Richard Kerr Rains owned the R.K. Rains Barber Shop until he sold his business in April of 1910 to Ed Roberts. In 1912, the Boylan & Co., Merchant and Scott Tailoring Co. combined and formed the Scott Tailor Company. According to the 1910 Census, John W. Scott was 23 in 1910, his occupation was listed as "Tailor" and he owned the business. Walter R. Scott was 27 and his occupation was "Tailor in men's clothing." Later, in the 1923 Retail Merchants' Association's Denton City Directory, the brothers have several businesses: John W. Tailoring Co., on the west side of the square; Walter Scott was the Manager of the North Side Tailor Shop, and also listed as the "Proprietor" of a Dry Cleaning & Press Shop, also located on the north side.
Description: Program for the Fifteenth Annual Commencement of the Denton High School at Wright's Opera House on Friday, May 18, 1900 contains an order of services, and a list of the Board of Trustees.
Date: c. 1900-05-18
Item Type: Text
Description: Group portrait of all of the ex-sheriffs of Denton County who were still alive, or available for a portrait at that time, except Williams S. "W. S." (Bill) Fry, who was out of town. Standing in the top row, from left to right: Sam Hawkins and Warren Elisha "W. E." (Lish) Durbin. Sitting in the bottom row, from left to right: Charles Alexander "C. A." (Alex) Williams, Christopher Columbus "C. C." (Lum) Daugherty, William F."W F." Egan, and Captain Robert Henry "R. H." (Bob) Hopkins. Charles Alexander Williams was Sheriff from 1856-1858 & 1866-1868; Christopher Columbus (Lum) Daugherty from 1860-1862; William F. Egan from 1869-1878; Robert Henry Hopkins from 1878-1882; Sam Hawkins was Sheriff from 1894-1900; Warren Elisha Durbin from 1900-1904.
Description: Group portrait of all of the ex-sheriffs of Denton County at the time, except W. S. (Bill) Fry, who was not in town at the time. Standing in the top row, from left to right: Sam Hawkins and Warren Elisha "W. E." (Lish) Durbin. Sitting in the bottom row, from left to right: Charles Alexander "C. A." (Alex) Williams, Christopher Columbus "C. C." (Lum) Daugherty, Walter F. "W. F." Egan, and Captain "Robert Henry "R. H." (Bob) Hopkins.
Description: Groups portrait of all of the ex-sheriffs of Denton County at the time, except W. S. (Bill) Fry, who was not in town at the time. Standing in the top row, from left to right: Sam Hawkings and W. E. (Lish) Durbin. Sitting in the bottom row, from left to right: Charles Alexander "C. A." (Alex) Williams, Christopher Columbus "C. C." (Lum) Daugherty, Walter F. "W. F." Egan, and Captain Robert Harris "R. H." (Bob) Hopkins.
Description: Announcement of several events to take place on the public square in Denton, Texas. Mr. R. Taliaferro Jones provided moving picture entertainment. Other attractions included a "Bull Fight" moving picture, "The Pickpocket," and a band performance.
Item Type: Clipping
Description: Gentry Thompson sits in an automobile in a dark suit and hat and looks towards the camera. A white dog is sitting in the car in front of him. Newspaper caption reads: First Auto Here - Gentry Thompson, ginner who fancied diamonds, cars and a pet bull dog, is shown here in his auto, the first in Denton. Note the tillertype steering mechanism. His constant companion, the bull dog, went along for the ride in the dawning machine age.
Description: Postcard contains photograph of the Old Main Building at Girls College of Industrial Art, now known as Texas Woman's University, in Denton, Texas. The postcard is addressed to Miss Amy A. Allen in Manhattan, Kansas.
Item Type: Postcard
Description: North Texas State Normal School's girls' Tip-Top basketball team. Pictured are: Hope McMinn, Esther Whittaker, Katherine Black, Sadie Roberts, Mary Belle Jones, Cassie Higgins, Beulah Davies, Justa Glass, Elizabeth Elliott, Volina Cohen, Dixie McDaniel, Marylee Matthews, Eula Moore.