Fort Bend Museum - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

[Progress Band of Fairchilds, Texas]

Description: Photograph (copy) of the Progress Band of Fairchilds, Texas in 1916. Probably the first band of Fort Bend County. The large drum to the left of the band members proclaims their name: PROGRESS BAND. The members are wearing dark jackets with white pants, and band hats. Fourth from right has been identified as E. H. Walenta; and second from left has been identified as B. B. Stavinoha. The band (holding their instruments) is standing in front of a white wooden building. {one copy shows a young child squatted on the edge of a porch on far left of photo, both copies are marked 1982.033.012. Scanned image is of the copy.
Date: 1916

[Two oil derricks]

Description: Postcard issued by Bank of the Southwest using images from F.J. Schlueter Collection. Image is of two oil derricks. Car and wagon are on the road in front of the derricks. Text on the back of the postcard reads, "For a long time, oil has been the biggest game in town. Even in 1916 when Houston thoroughfares had as many horses and buggies as automobiles. Photograph from the Bank of the Southwest--F.J. Schlueter Collection." Image is from ca. 1920, but postcard is from ca. 1970.
Date: 1916