First Christian Church of Port Arthur - 73 Matching Results

Search Results

[Christian Men's Fellowship Litter Control Committee]

Description: Photograph of the members of the Christian Men's Fellowship Litter Control Committee. The committee was responsible for picking up the trash in the neighborhood of the church, along Ninth Avenue, from 60th Street southward to Alligator Bayou. Standing, left to right: Ward Beckcom, Abe Snider, Jim Sutherlin, Kenneth Parker, L.G. Douglas, Clarence Richards, Frank Nixon, and Sidney Baker. Kneeling in front, left to right are Ralph Harrington and John Widenhoff.
Date: 1987

[The Christian Tabernacle]

Description: Photograph of the First Christian Church charter members in front of the building known as the "Christian Tabernacle". The Reverend H.M. Polsgrove is sixth from the left on front row. He served the First Christian Church in Port Arthur, 1908-1911. This building was constructed in 1905 at 700 Fifth Street. It was removed in 1912 to make room for the new brick structure which was completed in 1915. Other ministers who served in the Tabernacle were Reverend Tolbert Weaver, and Reverend C.F. Pearce.
Date: 1904
Creator: J.C. Watkins Photography

[Christmas Caroling Party 1953]

Description: Photograph of the First Christian Church Christmas Caroling Party in 1953. Many carolers are standing in front of two parked buses singing. Janis Joplin, who became a noted rock star in the music world in the late 1960's, is standing on the steps of the bus in a white sweatshirt.
Date: 1953
Creator: J.C. Watkins Photography

[Chuck Wagon Youth Dinner]

Description: Photograph of the Chuck Wagon Youth Dinner at the First Christian Church. A large number of men, women, teenagers, and children are spread out on a yard in a residential area. Some people are standing but most are sitting on the grass.
Date: October 25, 1953

[First Christian Church 27th Anniversary Celebration]

Description: Photograph of the First Christian Church 27th Anniversary celebration. The church officials in the photo are, back row - left to right: E.C. Blackburn, John Stanley, Reverend Anglemyer, A. Roy, and H.T. Whitson. Front row - left to right: Mrs. Whitson, Mrs. Stanley, Mrs. Anglemyer, and Pauline Renwick. The cake they are standing behind was molded to look like church structure and weighed 150 pounds.
Date: 1942

[First Christian Church Chuck Wagon Supper]

Description: Photograph of the First Christian Church Chuck Wagon Supper on grounds of the historic home, Rose Hill, adjacent to the Sabine-Neches Waterway and at foot of Woodworth Blvd. at Lakeshore Drive. A large number of people are congregating around several picnic tables and chairs.
Date: August 30, 1957
Creator: J.C. Watkins Photography

[First Christian Church Communion Table]

Description: Photograph of the First Christian Church communion table, which is carved with an inset of the Last Supper. The table was given in memory of the Charter Members of the Church, by the Loyal Women's Bible Class for the new sanctuary. The women had earned $1000 making all kinds of needlework, mostly quilting, for eight years to provide this gift to the congregation.
Date: 1956

[First Christian Church Congregation]

Description: Photograph of the First Christian Church congregation. The pews are full of people, there is not a single empty seat. The church choir is sitting in the two front pews alongside Reverend John M. Hughes, who is sitting on the inner side of the pew section on the right. Next to the minister is Jane Catanach and her son, Jimmy, and Arthur Catanach.
Date: 1952
Creator: J.C. Watkins Photography