The History Center - 53 Matching Results

Search Results

[Camp 1 Company Store]

Description: Photograph of the interior of the Southern Pine Lumber Company commissary at camp 1. Camp 1 was near the Rayville Ranch site in Trinity County, Texas, about 13 miles northwest of Diboll. It replaced the Angelina County camp called Lindsey Springs, and lasted from about 1907-1912.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman

[L. D. Gilbert]

Description: Photograph of Southern Pine Lumber Company secretary and treasurer L. D. Gilbert in his Texarkana, Arkansas office, looking through a suite of offices. Gilbert later served as director of the Texas South-Eastern Railroad Company in 1922 and 1929-1930.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman

[Dynamo Room Interior]

Description: Photograph of the interior of the Southern Pine Lumber Company dynamo room showing an engine manufactured by A. L. Ide & Sons of Springfield, Illinois. Engine specifications include 13x12 204 rev.; 50 K. W. Triumph Dynamo (Triumph Electric Company of Cincinnati, Ohio); 35 K. W. Keystone dynamo (Keystone Electric Company of Erie, Pennsylvania); 250 volts D. C.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman

[Marsh Fire Pump]

Description: Photograph of a Marsh fire pump near the Southern Pine Lumber Company sawmill 1, also called the yellow pine mill. Th pump had an 8-inch suction capacity and 7-inch discharge.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman

[Southern Pine Lumber Company Baseball Team]

Description: Photograph of the Southern Pine Lumber Company baseball team. The team was supported by Southern Pine's athletic society, which was open to young men of semiexective positions such as office work. It was not uncommon for East Texas lumber companies to have their own teams that played against one another. Tennis was also a focus of the athletic society.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman

[Southern Pine Lumber Company Commissary]

Description: Photograph of the Southern Pine Lumber Company commissary which included an express office, post office, and drug store. Built in 1901, this was the company's fourth commissary, the first being built in 1894, the second in 1898, and the third in early 1901 which was later destroyed by fire. The fourth commissary was originally 3,226 square feet but a 1902 addition increased the size to 5,612 square feet. The second story was added in 1907 which increased the size of the floor space to 10,384 square feet. The first floor contained the general store and the second floor held furniture and men's furnishing goods. W. P. Rutland was the manager and eleven others were employed. This commissary was replaced by a new one on the same site in 1923, which lasted until it was torn down in 2004.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman

[Southern Pine Lumber Company Dry Kilns]

Description: Photograph of the Southern Pine Lumber Company dry kilns, also showing workers with a cart of lumber. The kilns were built by the National Dry Kiln Company of Indianapolis, Indiana. The structure consisted of six rooms 2,400 square feet each that could hold up to 300,000 feet of lumber and turn out 100,000 feet of dried stock daily.
Date: 1903
Creator: American Lumberman

[Southern Pine Lumber Company Employees outside of the Commissary]

Description: Photograph of Southern Pine Lumber Company employees outside of the company commissary, standing along the Southern Pacific Railroad tracks. This photograph was taken on November 4, 1907. Built in 1901, this was the company's fourth commissary, the first being built in 1894, the second in 1898, and the third in early 1901 which was later destroyed by fire. The fourth commissary was originally 3,226 square feet but a 1902 addition increased the size to 5,612 square feet. The second story was added in 1907 which increased the size of the floor space to 10,384 square feet. The first floor contained the general store and the second floor held furniture and men's furnishing goods. W. P. Rutland was the manager and eleven others were employed. This commissary was replaced by a new one on the same site in 1923, which lasted until it was torn down in 2004.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman

[Southern Pine Lumber Company Loading Dock]

Description: Photograph of the Southern Pine Lumber Company loading dock which was situated behind the commissary. This view is from the south end of the dock. Lumbermen pushing carts are depicted as well as freight cars on the right, including Pennsylvania Railroad car 93788. The planing mill is seen in the background. Note how the loading dock is curved.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman