The History Center - 344 Matching Results

Search Results

Gayle Cruthirds Bombing Group Photograph

Description: Photograph of the United States Air Force, 15th Air Force, 376th Bombing Group, including Gayle Cruthirds of Diboll, Texas. All of the men are wearing Air Force uniforms and leather flight jackets, posing in front of a bomber. The plane has a face and the name "Betsy" painted on it. Handwritten information on the back of the photograph says, "April 22, 1944, Topeka, Kans. 15th Air Force (Italy) 376 Bomb Gp." and also lists those pictured, in order. Bottom row left-to-right: Lt. Jim Carrender, navigator, Kansas City; Lt. John Griffin, pilot, Rochester, New York; Lt. Peter Arth, co-pilot, Los Angeles, California; Lt. Hubert Schlatter, bombardier, Jennings Lodge, Oregon. Top row left-to-right: S/Sgt. Slim Limbocker, waistgun, Ranger, Texas; S/Sgt. Jo Janosko, engineer, Auburn, New York; S/Sgt. Gayle Cruthirds, nose gun, Diboll, Texas; S/Sgt. Edward Blunt, ball gun, Fresno, California; S/Sgt. Russel Martin, radio, top gun, Mounds, Illinois; S/Sgt. Ray (Mundo) Lane, tail gun, St. Louis, Missouri.
Date: April 22, 1944

[Gayle Cruthirds World War II Flight Log]

Description: Flight log created by Gayle Cruthirds, member of the 376th Bomb Group, 15th Air Force, documenting his bombing missions over Italy and Eastern Europe between May 17, 1944 through September 20, 1944. Cruthirds discusses dates, flight times, mission location, weather, presence of flak and fighters, types of planes, and notes specific to each mission.
Date: 1944
Creator: Cruthirds, Gayle

[Texas South-Eastern Railroad Engine 1]

Description: Photograph of the Texas South-Eastern Railroad Company engine 1 at Vair station, Trinity County, Texas. Engine 1 was 4-4-0 steam locomotive built by Dickson Manufacturing Company circa 1884. It was original operated by either the Houston, East & West Texas Railway or the Kansas & Gulf Shortline. The TSE may have acquired it in 1898. The TSE railroad was founded in 1900 by the same owners of Southern Pine Lumber Company and served the company's logging operations. It also provided passenger service from Diboll to Lufkin until 1942.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman

[Texas South-Eastern Railroad Engine 3 near Blix]

Description: Photograph of the Texas South-Eastern Railroad engine 3 along the right of way near Blix station, western Angelina County, Texas. Engine 3 was a Baldwin 2-6-0 steam locomotive that was believed to be originally built for the Vicksburg, Shreveport and Pacific Railway. It was later sold to mining operations in Uvalde, Texas in 1939. The TSE railroad was founded in 1900 by the same owners of Southern Pine Lumber Company and served the company's logging operations. It also provided passenger service from Diboll to Lufkin until 1942.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman

[Texas South-Eastern Railroad Engine 4]

Description: Photograph of Texas South-Eastern Railroad engine 4 pulling a Galveston, Harrisburg and San Antonio Railway freight car, a TSE caboose, and twelve cars of pine logs. Ed Baucum is the engineer. Engine 4 was a Baldwin 4-6-0 steam locomotive that the TSE purchased in March 1904 from the Ragley Lumber Company for $3,500. It was sold to the Lufkin, Hemphill and Gulf Railway in November 1921. The TSE railroad was founded in 1900 by the same owners of Southern Pine Lumber Company and served the company's logging operations. It also provided passenger service from Diboll to Lufkin until 1942.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman

[Texas South-Eastern Railroad Engine 4 - Broadside]

Description: Photograph of a broadside view of the Texas South-Eastern Railroad engine 4. Engine 4 was a Baldwin 4-6-0 steam locomotive that the TSE purchased in March 1904 from the Ragley Lumber Company for $3,500. It was sold to the Lufkin, Hemphill and Gulf Railway in November 1921. The TSE railroad was founded in 1900 by the same owners of Southern Pine Lumber Company and served the company's logging operations. It also provided passenger service from Diboll to Lufkin until 1942.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman

[Texas South-Eastern Railroad Engine 5]

Description: Photograph of the Texas South-Eastern Railroad engine 5 at Blix station along the TSE right of way in western Angelina County, Texas. Engine 5 was a Baldwin 4-6-0 steam locomotive built in 1905. It was later sold to Urbana Gravel Company of Urbana and scrapped in 1954. The TSE railroad was founded in 1900 by the same owners of Southern Pine Lumber Company and served the company's logging operations. It also provided passenger service from Diboll to Lufkin until 1942.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman

[Texas South-Eastern Railroad Engine 6]

Description: Photograph of Texas South-Eastern Railroad engine 6, probably in Trinity County near camp 2. American Lumberman identifies this as a switch engine. Engine 6 was a Baldwin 2-6-0 steam locomotive built in 1905 for Southern Pine Lumber Company and later transferred to Temple Lumber Company of Pineland, Texas, which was Southern Pine's "sister" operation.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman

[Texas South-Eastern Railroad Engine 7]

Description: Photograph of Texas South-Eastern Railroad Company's engine 7 and a train of twenty cars of pine logs. Engine 7 was a 4-6-0 Baldwin locomotive built new for the TSE in 1906. It was later sold to Sand & Gravel Company of Columbus, Texas in 1938. The TSE railroad was founded in 1900 by the same owners of Southern Pine Lumber Company and served the company's logging operations. It also provided passenger service from Diboll to Lufkin until 1942.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman

[Texas South-Eastern Railroad Engine 7 - Broadside]

Description: Photograph of a broadside view of the Texas South-Eastern Railroad engine 7, pulling Southern Pacific freight car 65087 and showing railroad workers. Engine 7 was a 4-6-0 Baldwin locomotive built new for the TSE in 1906. It was later sold to Sand & Gravel Company of Columbus, Texas in 1938. The TSE railroad was founded in 1900 by the same owners of Southern Pine Lumber Company and served the company's logging operations. It also provided passenger service from Diboll to Lufkin until 1942.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman

[Texas South-Eastern Railroad Engine 7 "Dozier" Work]

Description: Photograph of Texas South-Eastern Railroad engine 7 and men performing "dozier" work on the right of way. Engine 7 was a 4-6-0 Baldwin locomotive built new for the TSE in 1906. It was later sold to Sand & Gravel Company of Columbus, Texas in 1938. The TSE railroad was founded in 1900 by the same owners of Southern Pine Lumber Company and served the company's logging operations. It also provided passenger service from Diboll to Lufkin until 1942.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman

[Southern Pine Lumber Company Sawmill No. 1 Interior - South End]

Description: Photograph of the Southern Pine Lumber Company sawmill 1 interior from the south end, showing mill machinery. It was also called the "yellow pine mill" because it cut yellow pine. Construction for this mill began on March 1, 1903, and the mill became operational on June 12 of the same year. It replaced the original mill that was built in 1894. The mill was powered by a 500 horse powered Filer & Stowell 24x40 inch Corliss steam engine. American Lumberman reports that in 1907 the mill had a daily capacity of 240,000 board feet of lumber and 65,000 feet of lath. This mill was destroyed by fire on January 7, 1968 and rebuilt by September of that year.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman

[Southern Pine Lumber Company Sawmill No. 2]

Description: Photograph of the Southern Pine Lumber Company sawmill 2 as viewed from a point slightly west of the dry kilns. This mill was built between December 1906 and April 1907. All sawmill equipment was in a 40x155 feet area and the lath mill annex was 28x60 feet. Although it was sometimes called the hardwood mill, it also cut pine. The mill's daily capacity during a daytime run was 60,000 feet of pine and 40,000 feet of hardwoods, with a day and night yellow pine capacity of 120,000 feet. Hardwoods were not cut at night. Sawmill 2 was dismantled in 1954.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman

[Southern Pine Lumber Company Sawmill No. 2 at Sunset]

Description: Photograph of the Southern Pine Lumber Company sawmill no. 2 as seen from across the mill pond at sunset. This mill was built between December 1906 and April 1907. All sawmill equipment was in a 40x155 feet area and the lath mill annex was 28x60 feet. Although it was sometimes called the hardwood mill, it also cut pine. The mill's daily capacity during a daytime run was 60,000 feet of pine and 40,000 feet of hardwoods, with a day and night yellow pine capacity of 120,000 feet. Hardwoods were not cut at night. Sawmill 2 was dismantled in 1954.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman

[Southern Pine Lumber Company Sawmill No. 2 Interior]

Description: Photograph of the interior of the Southern Pine Lumber Company sawmill no. 2, also called the hardwood mill. This view is from the log end and shows hardwood logs on a band saw dock, a band saw, and a company employee. This mill was built between December 1906 and April 1907. All sawmill equipment was in a 40x155 feet area and the lath mill annex was 28x60 feet. Although it was sometimes called the hardwood mill, it also cut pine. The mill's daily capacity during a daytime run was 60,000 feet of pine and 40,000 feet of hardwoods, with a day and night yellow pine capacity of 120,000 feet. Hardwoods were not cut at night. Sawmill 2 was dismantled in 1954.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman

[Southern Pine Lumber Company Sawmills]

Description: Photograph of the Southern Pine Lumber Company sawmills from across the mill pond from a point 100 feet east of the locomotive water tank. The burner and water tower are shown between the sawmills. Sawmill 1, the yellow pine mill, is on the left and sawmill 2, the hardwood and pine mill is on the right.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman