The History Center - Browse

ABOUT BROWSE FEED

[Corliss Steam Sawmill Engine]

Description: Photograph of a Southern Pine Lumber Company sawmill engine, a 24x48 500 horse power Filer & Stowell Corliss steam engine, with an 18-foot fly wheel. A company employee is depicted in the background. This is likely sawmill 1, or the yellow pine mill.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman
Item Type: Photograph

[Southern Pine Lumber Company Sawmill No. 2 at Sunset]

Description: Photograph of the Southern Pine Lumber Company sawmill no. 2 as seen from across the mill pond at sunset. This mill was built between December 1906 and April 1907. All sawmill equipment was in a 40x155 feet area and the lath mill annex was 28x60 feet. Although it was sometimes called the hardwood mill, it also cut pine. The mill's daily capacity during a daytime run was 60,000 feet of pine and 40,000 feet of hardwoods, with a day and night yellow pine capacity of 120,000 feet. Hardwoods were not cut at night. Sawmill 2 was dismantled in 1954.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman
Item Type: Photograph

[Mill Pond Detailed View]

Description: Photograph of a detailed view of the Southern Pine Lumber Company mill pond with floating pine logs. The building in the background is possibly the Texas South-Eastern Railroad Company office. Also shown are rail cars, including one from the Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Railroad.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman
Item Type: Photograph

[Yellow Pine on the Band Saw Dock]

Description: Photograph of the interior of the Southern Pine Lumber Company sawmill 1, or yellow pine mill, showing yellow pine logs on the band saw dock. This view is from the log end. Construction for this mill began on March 1, 1903, and the mill became operational on June 12 of the same year. It replaced the original mill that was built in 1894. The mill was powered by a 500 horse powered Filer & Stowell 24x40 inch Corliss steam engine. American Lumberman reports that in 1907 the mill had a daily capacity of 240,000 board feet of lumber and 65,000 feet of lath. This mill was destroyed by fire on January 7, 1968 and rebuilt by September of that year.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman
Item Type: Photograph

[Southern Pine Lumber Company Sawmil No. 1 from Mill Pond]

Description: Photograph of the Southern Pine Lumber Company sawmill no. 1 from across the mill pond with logs in the foreground. To the right is the log unloading dock. A mill pond worker is also shown standing on logs in the pond. Also known as "mill 1," it cut yellow pine. Construction for this mill began on March 1, 1903, and the mill became operational on June 12 of the same year. It replaced the original mill that was built in 1894. The mill was powered by a 500 horse powered Filer & Stowell 24x40 inch Corliss steam engine. American Lumberman reports that in 1907 the mill had a daily capacity of 240,000 board feet of lumber and 65,000 feet of lath. This mill was destroyed by fire on January 7, 1968 and rebuilt by September of that year.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman
Item Type: Photograph

[A Log atop the Endless Chain]

Description: Photograph of the Southern Pine Lumber Company log pond from the top of the endless chain incline. The photograph shows how logs were attached to the chain and pulled upward from the mill pond and into the sawmill.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman
Item Type: Photograph

[Southern Pine Lumber Company Planing Mill Interior - North End]

Description: Photograph of the interior of the Southern Pine Lumber Company planing mill from the north end. The January 18, 1908 issue of American Lumberman reports that the planing mill had one 8x30 sizer, one 8x18 sizer, four 15-inch No. 2 combination matchers, six 9-inch matchers, one 10-inch outside molder, one 15-inch inside molder, six swing cutoff saws, two resaws, two edgers, one lath machine, and two blowers. It was 252 by 80 feet in area, employed 43 people and had a daily capacity of 275,000 feet of lumber.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman
Item Type: Photograph

[Southern Pine Lumber Company Sawmill No. 1 Interior - South End]

Description: Photograph of the Southern Pine Lumber Company sawmill 1 interior from the south end, showing mill machinery. It was also called the "yellow pine mill" because it cut yellow pine. Construction for this mill began on March 1, 1903, and the mill became operational on June 12 of the same year. It replaced the original mill that was built in 1894. The mill was powered by a 500 horse powered Filer & Stowell 24x40 inch Corliss steam engine. American Lumberman reports that in 1907 the mill had a daily capacity of 240,000 board feet of lumber and 65,000 feet of lath. This mill was destroyed by fire on January 7, 1968 and rebuilt by September of that year.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman
Item Type: Photograph

[Hardwood Log Cars]

Description: Photograph of a train of nine rail cars carrying hardwood timber on a switch near the Southern Pine Lumber Company sawmills.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman
Item Type: Photograph

[Two Hardwood Log Cars]

Description: Photograph of two rail cars loaded with hardwood timber near the Southern Pine Lumber Company sawmills.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman
Item Type: Photograph

[White School Building]

Description: Photograph of the white school building in Diboll, Texas, showing the students. Attendance was 150 students.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman
Item Type: Photograph

[Log Ramp on Spur Toward Camp 1]

Description: Photograph of a hardwood log ramp on a spur heading toward Southern Pine Lumber Company's camp 1. Camp 1 was near the Rayville Ranch site in Trinity County, Texas, about 13 miles northwest of Diboll. It replaced the Angelina County camp called Lindsey Springs, and lasted from about 1907-1912.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman
Item Type: Photograph

[Shortleaf Yellow Pine Timber]

Description: Photograph of shortleaf yellow pine timber on Buck Wammuck's place, from which large timber has been cut. This timber totaled 300 acres.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman
Item Type: Photograph

[McGiffert Log Loader 3]

Description: Photograph of Southern Pine Lumber Company's McGiffert log loader 3 showing crewmen attaching a log to the loader's swinging boom. This loader was primarily used in hardwood logging operations. This is likely in Trinity County, Texas.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman
Item Type: Photograph

[Log Ramp near Camp 1]

Description: Photograph of a log ramp with timber and the Southern Pine Lumber Company McGiffert log loader 1 in the background, near camp 1 in Trinity County, Texas.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman
Item Type: Photograph

[Tie Wacker and Ox Team]

Description: Photograph of a Southern Pine Lumber Company tie whacker and a team of eight long horned oxen. The tie whacker would cut logs into railroad ties in the woods. This photograph is likely in Trinity County, Texas.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman
Item Type: Photograph

[McGiffert Log Loader 1]

Description: Photograph of Southern Pine Lumber Company's McGiffert log loader 1 near the company's logging camp 1 in Trinity County, Texas. Loader crewmen pose while loading logs onto rail cars.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman
Item Type: Photograph

[White Oak and Gum Timber, Trinity County, Texas]

Description: Photograph of white oak timber and gum timber on the northeast corner of the J. M. Walker league in Trinity County, Texas. This location is 16 miles northwest of Diboll. Southern Pine Lumber Company woods boss John A. Massingill is on horseback in the center.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman
Item Type: Photograph