The History Center - 255 Matching Results

Search Results

[Hardwood Logs on the Unloading Dock]

Description: Photograph of four cars of hardwood logs on the unloading dock, showing the Southern Pine Lumber Company sawmill 2 and new water tower and in the background. Mill 2 was also called the hardwood mill. Notice that hardwood logs were not unloaded into the mill pond, but rather rolled down an incline to the endless chain. The mill pond with floating pine logs and mill pond workers are also shown. This view is looking south from the north end of the unloading dock.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman

[Southern Pine Lumber Company Commissary - Second Floor]

Description: Photograph of the second floor in the Southern Pine Lumber Company commissary showing furniture, men's clothing, and company employees. Built in 1901, this was the company's fourth commissary, the first being built in 1894, the second in 1898, and the third in early 1901 which was later destroyed by fire. The fourth commissary was originally 3,226 square feet but a 1902 addition increased the size to 5,612 square feet. The second story was added in 1907 which increased the size of the floor space to 10,384 square feet. The first floor contained the general store and the second floor held furniture and men's furnishing goods. W. P. Rutland was the manager and eleven others were employed. This commissary was replaced by a new one on the same site in 1923, which lasted until it was torn down in 2004.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman

[Southern Pine Lumber Company Commissary - First Floor]

Description: Photograph of the first floor of the Southern Pine Lumber Company commissary. Built in 1901, this was the company's fourth commissary, the first being built in 1894, the second in 1898, and the third in early 1901 which was later destroyed by fire. The fourth commissary was originally 3,226 square feet but a 1902 addition increased the size to 5,612 square feet. The second story was added in 1907 which increased the size of the floor space to 10,384 square feet. The first floor contained the general store and the second floor held furniture and men's furnishing goods. W. P. Rutland was the manager and eleven others were employed. This commissary was replaced by a new one on the same site in 1923, which lasted until it was torn down in 2004.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman

[Camp 1 Company Store]

Description: Photograph of the interior of the Southern Pine Lumber Company commissary at camp 1. Camp 1 was near the Rayville Ranch site in Trinity County, Texas, about 13 miles northwest of Diboll. It replaced the Angelina County camp called Lindsey Springs, and lasted from about 1907-1912.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman

[Camp 1 Animal Team in Woods]

Description: Photograph of an animal logging team at Southern Pine Lumber Company's camp 1, with high wheel slip-tongue carts, ox teams, and a car of logs. Camp 1 was near the Rayville Ranch site in Trinity County, Texas, about 13 miles northwest of Diboll. It replaced the Angelina County camp called Lindsey Springs, and lasted from about 1907-1912.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman