Photograph of Bucyrus steam shovel at work loading rail cars near Blix station, along the Texas South-Eastern Railroad right of way in western Angelina County, Texas. Note the structures in the background. Texas South-Eastern Railroad engine 5 and a Lidgerwood is depicted in the background as well.
Photograph of the C. H. Bateman home in Diboll. Bateman was the assistant foreman of the Southern Pine Lumber Company sawmill 1, also called the yellow pine sawmill. The Bateman family is presumably pictured.
Photograph of an animal logging team at Southern Pine Lumber Company's camp 1, with high wheel slip-tongue carts, ox teams, and a car of logs. Camp 1 was near the Rayville Ranch site in Trinity County, Texas, about 13 miles northwest of Diboll. It replaced the Angelina County camp called Lindsey Springs, and lasted from about 1907-1912.
Photograph of the Southern Pine Lumber Company church building located in Diboll's south side. The lower floor held Baptist and Methodist services. The upper floor held meeting rooms for the Odd Fellows and the Woodmen of the World.
Photograph of a Southern Pine Lumber Company sawmill engine, a 24x48 500 horse power Filer & Stowell Corliss steam engine, with an 18-foot fly wheel. A company employee is depicted in the background. This is likely sawmill 1, or the yellow pine mill.
Photograph of rail cars loaded with hardwood timber at the Southern Pine Lumber Company sawmill 2, which was also called the hardwood mill. This mill also cut pine timber. Note the mill pond on the left. Hardwood logs were not unloaded into the mill ponds because they would sink.
Photograph of four cars of hardwood logs on the unloading dock, showing the Southern Pine Lumber Company sawmill 2 and new water tower and in the background. Mill 2 was also called the hardwood mill. Notice that hardwood logs were not unloaded into the mill pond, but rather rolled down an incline to the endless chain. The mill pond with floating pine logs and mill pond workers are also shown. This view is looking south from the north end of the unloading dock.
Photograph of the Southern Pine Lumber Company sawmill 2, also called the hardwood mill, with workers unloading hardwood timber down a ramp and into the mill. Note how hardwood logs were not unloaded into the mill pond because they would sink. This mill was built between December 1906 and April 1907. All sawmill equipment was in a 40x155 feet area and the lath mill annex was 28x60 feet. The mill sometimes cut pine timber too. The mill's daily capacity during a daytime run was 60,000 feet of pine and 40,000 feet of hardwoods, with a day and night yellow pine capacity of 120,000 feet. Hardwoods were not cut at night. Sawmill 2 was dismantled in 1954.
Photograph of the Southern Pine Lumber Company log pond from the top of the endless chain incline. The photograph shows how logs were attached to the chain and pulled upward from the mill pond and into the sawmill.
Photograph of a hardwood log ramp on a spur heading toward Southern Pine Lumber Company's camp 1. Camp 1 was near the Rayville Ranch site in Trinity County, Texas, about 13 miles northwest of Diboll. It replaced the Angelina County camp called Lindsey Springs, and lasted from about 1907-1912.
Photograph of shortleaf yellow pine logs on ramps near camp 2 with a McGiffert log loader and log cars in the background. The camp was in the vicinity of Iris in Trinity County and operated from about 1907-1912.