The History Center - 344 Matching Results

Search Results

[Texas South-Eastern Railroad Office Interior]

Description: Photograph of the interior of the Texas South-Eastern Railroad Company office. General manager W. J. Raef sits behind the desk with an unidentified assistant in the foreground. Note the telephone, electric light, heater, and a safe. Raef was general manager as early as 1903 but left the railroad in early 1908.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman

[Thomas Lewis Latane Temple]

Description: Photograph of Thomas Lewis Latane Temple, the founder and owner of the Southern Pine Lumber Company and Texas South-Eastern Railroad Company, seen in the company's main office in Texarkana, Arkansas. This view is looking from L. D. Gilbert's office, who at this time was the secretary and treasurer.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman

[Tie Wacker and Ox Team]

Description: Photograph of a Southern Pine Lumber Company tie whacker and a team of eight long horned oxen. The tie whacker would cut logs into railroad ties in the woods. This photograph is likely in Trinity County, Texas.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman

[Water Tower at Sunset]

Description: Photograph of the Southern Pine Lumber Company's new water tower at sunset. The lumber yard is to the left of the tower and a sawmill is on the right. The water tower was used for fire protection and held 40,000 gallons.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman

[Southern Pine Lumber Company Loading Dock]

Description: Photograph of the Southern Pine Lumber Company loading dock which was situated behind the commissary. This view is from the south end of the dock. Lumbermen pushing carts are depicted as well as freight cars on the right, including Pennsylvania Railroad car 93788. The planing mill is seen in the background. Note how the loading dock is curved.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman

[Southern Pine Lumber Company Mill No. 2 from the Mill Pond]

Description: Photograph of the Southern Pine Lumber Company sawmill number 2 looking across the mill pond from the unloading dock of the yellow pine mill (mill no. 1). This mill was built between December 1906 and April 1907. All sawmill equipment was in a 40x155 feet area and the lath mill annex was 28x60 feet. Although it was sometimes called the hardwood mill, it also cut pine. The mill's daily capacity during a daytime run was 60,000 feet of pine and 40,000 feet of hardwoods, with a day and night yellow pine capacity of 120,000 feet. Hardwoods were not cut at night. Sawmill 2 was dismantled in 1954.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman