Description: Photograph of the Southern Pine Lumber Company sawmill 1 interior from the south end, showing mill machinery. It was also called the "yellow pine mill" because it cut yellow pine. Construction for this mill began on March 1, 1903, and the mill became operational on June 12 of the same year. It replaced the original mill that was built in 1894. The mill was powered by a 500 horse powered Filer & Stowell 24x40 inch Corliss steam engine. American Lumberman reports that in 1907 the mill had a daily capacity of 240,000 board feet of lumber and 65,000 feet of lath. This mill was destroyed by fire on January 7, 1968 and rebuilt by September of that year.
Creator: American Lumberman
Item Type: Photograph