The History Center - 255 Matching Results

Search Results

[Hardwood Logs on the Unloading Dock]

Description: Photograph of four cars of hardwood logs on the unloading dock, showing the Southern Pine Lumber Company sawmill 2 and new water tower and in the background. Mill 2 was also called the hardwood mill. Notice that hardwood logs were not unloaded into the mill pond, but rather rolled down an incline to the endless chain. The mill pond with floating pine logs and mill pond workers are also shown. This view is looking south from the north end of the unloading dock.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman

[Hardwood Timber Unloading]

Description: Photograph of the Southern Pine Lumber Company sawmill 2, also called the hardwood mill, with workers unloading hardwood timber down a ramp and into the mill. Note how hardwood logs were not unloaded into the mill pond because they would sink. This mill was built between December 1906 and April 1907. All sawmill equipment was in a 40x155 feet area and the lath mill annex was 28x60 feet. The mill sometimes cut pine timber too. The mill's daily capacity during a daytime run was 60,000 feet of pine and 40,000 feet of hardwoods, with a day and night yellow pine capacity of 120,000 feet. Hardwoods were not cut at night. Sawmill 2 was dismantled in 1954.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman

[Lindsey Springs Camp Workers]

Description: Photograph of two Southern Pine Lumber Company woods sawyers in the Lindsey Springs area, Angelina County. Lindsey Springs, located about seven miles northeast of Diboll, was a Southern Pine Lumber Company logging camp from about 1898 to 1906. According to the federal census of 1900, the community then had a population of 110.
Date: 1903
Creator: American Lumberman

[Log Ramp on Spur Toward Camp 1]

Description: Photograph of a hardwood log ramp on a spur heading toward Southern Pine Lumber Company's camp 1. Camp 1 was near the Rayville Ranch site in Trinity County, Texas, about 13 miles northwest of Diboll. It replaced the Angelina County camp called Lindsey Springs, and lasted from about 1907-1912.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman