The History Center - 255 Matching Results

Search Results

[Southern Pine Lumber Company Baseball Team]

Description: Photograph of the Southern Pine Lumber Company baseball team. The team was supported by Southern Pine's athletic society, which was open to young men of semiexective positions such as office work. It was not uncommon for East Texas lumber companies to have their own teams that played against one another. Tennis was also a focus of the athletic society.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman

[Southern Pine Lumber Company Camp 1 from North]

Description: Photograph of the Southern Pine Lumber Company camp 1 from the north end looking south. Note the box car housing along the right of way, which was painted a dull red. Camp 1 was near the Rayville Ranch site in Trinity County, Texas, about 13 miles northwest of Diboll. It replaced the Angelina County camp called Lindsey Springs, and lasted from about 1907-1912.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman

[Southern Pine Lumber Company Commissary]

Description: Photograph of the Southern Pine Lumber Company commissary which included an express office, post office, and drug store. Built in 1901, this was the company's fourth commissary, the first being built in 1894, the second in 1898, and the third in early 1901 which was later destroyed by fire. The fourth commissary was originally 3,226 square feet but a 1902 addition increased the size to 5,612 square feet. The second story was added in 1907 which increased the size of the floor space to 10,384 square feet. The first floor contained the general store and the second floor held furniture and men's furnishing goods. W. P. Rutland was the manager and eleven others were employed. This commissary was replaced by a new one on the same site in 1923, which lasted until it was torn down in 2004.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman

[Southern Pine Lumber Company Commissary - First Floor]

Description: Photograph of the first floor of the Southern Pine Lumber Company commissary. Built in 1901, this was the company's fourth commissary, the first being built in 1894, the second in 1898, and the third in early 1901 which was later destroyed by fire. The fourth commissary was originally 3,226 square feet but a 1902 addition increased the size to 5,612 square feet. The second story was added in 1907 which increased the size of the floor space to 10,384 square feet. The first floor contained the general store and the second floor held furniture and men's furnishing goods. W. P. Rutland was the manager and eleven others were employed. This commissary was replaced by a new one on the same site in 1923, which lasted until it was torn down in 2004.
Date: 1907
Creator: American Lumberman