Fort Worth Jewish Archives - Browse
Filters have been applied to your results. Adjust settings from lower-left menu.
- [1930 Ahavath Sholom Dues Statement]
- Bill for $125 in annual dues for the Ahavath Sholom Congregation, in Fort Worth, Texas. The dues statement is for congregation member, B. Max Mehl.
- [Ahavath Sholom Minutes]
- Handwritten list of the thirty one members of the Ahavath Sholom Congregation in 1895 in Fort Worth, Texas. The front of the document lists the members of the congregation, and the back of the document lists the officers. When the list was created, Ahavath Sholom was the only synagogue in Fort Worth.
- [Congregation Ahavath Sholom Confirmation Certificate, 1934]
- A certificate of confirmation presented to Fay Rosenthal of the 1934 confirmation class at Congregation Ahavath Sholom. The certificate is signed by congregation Vice President L. F. Shanblum, Secretary Irving Klotzman, and Rabbi Philip Graubart. The confirmation class motto reads, "An Exalted Jewish Womanhood." The certificate has a gold seal with blue and white ribbons on it. At the top of the certificate, there is a picture of the Ten Commandments tablets.
- [George Marshall's Sympathy Card]
- A letter from General George C. Marshall, the United States Army Chief of Staff, expressing his condolences for the death of an unidentified soldier. The text reads: "General Marshall extends his deep sympathy in your bereavement. Your son fought valiantly in a supreme hour of his country's need. His memory will live in the grateful heart of our nation."
- [Hebrew Institute Building Fund Committee]
- Letterhead stationary for the Hebrew Institute Building Fund Committee outlining all the donors for the institute and their monetary contributions. The building, designed by the architectural firm of Field and Clarkson, was constructed between April and August of 1914 in the 800 block of Taylor Street in Fort Worth, Texas at a cost of $14,668. The top left corner of the document shows an architectural drawing of the building.
- [Ladies Cemetery Society Minutes]
- Handwritten minutes for the Ladies Cemetery Society commenting on the death of Private Harold Gilbert, the son of the society's recording secretary, Rose Gilbert. The text notes: “The absence of the secretary ...who had the misfortune of losing her son, Harold, Dec. 25, 1944, in the European Theater of the war, made the meeting a sad one; each and every one of the members present were in tears.” On the second page of the minutes, the group’s long-time president Mrs. Becky Goldstein recalls how she and Mrs. Gilbert used to “go out to collect dues at 25 cents each. Mrs. Gilbert furnished the horse and buggy.”
- [Sample Jewish Marriage Certificate]
- Sample marriage certificate (called a Ketubah) presented to couples married at the Congregation Ahavath Sholom in Fort Worth, Texas as of 1990. The certificate includes three panels. On the far left, text primarily in English describes the vows of marriage. In the center, the main text of the certificate is in Hebrew with blanks for specific information; the text is surrounded by illustrations of plants and crops. On the far right there are lines for names and signatures of participants and witnesses. This form was designed by the Rabbinical Assembly (an organization of American Conservative rabbis).
- [Yiddish Minutes]
- Handwritten minutes for the Ahavath Sholom Congregation in Fort Worth, Texas. The minutes are written in Yiddish, the native tongue of the members. The minutes discuss a legal dispute with a "chazzan," or a prayer leader who sued the congregation.
- [Yiddish Minutes]
- Handwritten minutes for the Ahavath Sholom Congregation in Fort Worth, Texas. The minutes are written in Yiddish, the native tongue of the members. The document discusses the Sabbath morning services for the congregation.