Fort Worth Jewish Archives - 105 Matching Results

Search Results

[Ahavath Sholom Minutes]

Description: Handwritten list of the thirty one members of the Ahavath Sholom Congregation in 1895 in Fort Worth, Texas. The front of the document lists the members of the congregation, and the back of the document lists the officers. When the list was created, Ahavath Sholom was the only synagogue in Fort Worth.
Date: October 6, 1895
Creator: Levenson, Ben

[Yiddish Minutes]

Description: Handwritten minutes for the Ahavath Sholom Congregation in Fort Worth, Texas. The minutes are written in Yiddish, the native tongue of the members. The minutes discuss a legal dispute with a "chazzan," or a prayer leader who sued the congregation.
Date: October 6, 1895
Creator: Levenson, Ben

[Yiddish Minutes]

Description: Handwritten minutes for the Ahavath Sholom Congregation in Fort Worth, Texas. The minutes are written in Yiddish, the native tongue of the members. The document discusses the Sabbath morning services for the congregation.
Date: January 12, 1896
Creator: Levenson, Ben

Tarrant County Clerk's Daily Report for Oct. 3 and Oct. 4, 1902

Description: Daily Report of the Tarrant County Clerk's office on October 3-4, 1902. Included are lists of deeds granted, deeds of trust, chattel cottages, and proceedings in the district and justice courts. "Claude Butler, proprietor" is printed at the top of the document. On the reverse side are handwritten minutes from Beth-El Congregation's third organizing meeting.
Date: October 4, 1902

[Certificate]

Description: Union of American Hebrew Congregations certificate of membership for Beth-El Congregation of Fort Worth. The certificate is orange in color and has a star-burst design radiating out from a scroll in the center. There is Hebrew text at the top beneath which is the quotation: "Come, let us take counsel together. --Nch. 6:7." The text on the scroll states: The Union of American Hebrew Congregations Established 1873 Hereby certifies that Beth-El Congregation Fort Worth, Texas on March 22, 1907 (Nisan 7, 5667) became a duly affiliated member, entitled to all the rights and privileges of membership and to full participation in its plans and activities for the PERPETUATION AND PROGRESS OF JUDAISM IN AMERICA. Samuel S Hollender Chairman, Executive Board Maurice N. Eisendrath President Presented on November 5, 1955.
Date: March 22, 1907

Confirmation Bible of Rose Levenson, Beth-El Congregation

Description: Confirmation Bible, Beth-El Congregation. Presented to Rose Levenson for Confirmation on Shevuoth, May 26, 1909 at Fort Worth, Texas by Rabbi George Zepin. Title page and inscription of the bible states that this volume contains "the Twenty-Four Books of the Holy Scriptures, carefully translated according to the Massoretic text, after the best Jewish authority by Isaac Lesser."
Date: May 26, 1909
Creator: Rabbi George Zepin

[Hebrew Institute Building Fund Committee]

Description: Letterhead stationary for the Hebrew Institute Building Fund Committee outlining all the donors for the institute and their monetary contributions. The building, designed by the architectural firm of Field and Clarkson, was constructed between April and August of 1914 in the 800 block of Taylor Street in Fort Worth, Texas at a cost of $14,668. The top left corner of the document shows an architectural drawing of the building.
Date: 1913~
Creator: Hebrew Institute. Board.

[Beth-El Congregation's First Synagogue]

Description: Photograph of Temple Beth-El, the first house of worship for Beth-El, Fort Worth's Reform Jewish congregation. It was a two-story, neo-classical synagogue constructed of wood and stucco. Above the columned entrance was a wooden Star of David, beneath which were the Hebrew words "Y'he Or," meaning "Let There Be Light." Handwritten notes on the back of the photograph say, "Beth-El Congregation's 1st synagogue; built 1908 @ 5th & Taylor Streets. Photo from The Jewish Monitor, 1915. Greek Revival Style, The Hebrew Lettering says: 'Let there be light.'"
Date: 1915
Creator: The Jewish Monitor

[1921 Ahavath Sholom's First Confirmation Class]

Description: In 1921, Fort Worth’s Congregation Ahavath Sholom introduced the rite of Confirmation, the graduation from religious school that coincides with the Jewish holiday Shavuos when Moses received the Ten Commandments. This picture shows the twelve, 14-year-old girls in the Confirmation class wearing white dresses, holding flowers and certificates rolled up like scrolls. The students are seated in two rows and are identified as: Row 1: Lena Shosid (Cooles), Fannie Herman, unidentified, Hannah Byrens, Bess Lipshitz (Cohen), unidentified Row 2: Sarah Shosid (Bloomberg), unidentified, unidentified, Leah Goldstein (Gerson), unidentified, unidentified An article in the Fort Worth Star-Telegram of June 3, 1921, named each confirmand and also listed Dorothy Cohen, Rose Weinstein, Bertha Mosier, Ida Mosier, Edna Lipshy, and Esther Ablon. Each confirmand addressed the congregation. They completed a course of study in Jewish history, religion and literature.
Date: 1921~

[1928 Ahavath Sholom Confirmation Class]

Description: Photograph of the 1928 Ahavath Sholom confirmation class standing on the altar (called a bimah) of the synagogue located downtown in the 800 block of Taylor Street in Fort Worth, Texas. From left to right, the confirmands are: Rebecca Luskey, Cecile Bodzy, Martha Daiches, Mrs. Abraham Bengis (teacher), Rabbi Abraham Bengis, Esther Klimist, Sally Kruger, Sarah Garston. Behind the confirmands is a replica of the Ten Commandments which rests above the curtained ark, which houses the Torah scrolls. In front of the dais is a seven-branched menorah.
Date: May 27, 1928

[Letter to Ahavath Sholom]

Description: Typed letter from B. Max Mehl to the Ahavath Sholom Congregation. In the letter, Mehl responds to a dues statement sent to him from the congregation. The letter is requesting a corrected dues statement due to the congregation overcharging Mehl. The stationery includes a colored illustration at the top of the page that says, "Importer of and Dealer in Rare Coins, Medals, and Paper Money of all Countries and Periods"
Date: November 11, 1930
Creator: Mehl, B. Max

[1932 Ahavath Sholom Confirmation Class]

Description: Photograph of the 1932 Ahavath Sholom confirmation class standing around the altar (called a bimah) of the synagogue located at 823 Taylor Street in downtown Fort Worth, Texas. The members of the photograph, from left to right, are: Top row: Sylvia Engler (Roberts), Jesonda Gilbert (Fox), Sadye May Carshon (Garsek), Bessie Resnick, Lillian Rose Rabinowitz (Rosenthal), Rebecca Laves, Pearl Paul, Gussie Kruger, Dorothy Dworkin (Glazer), Sarah Weisblatt (Kragen), Rhoda Kershner. Bottom row: Jennie Moses (Winkler)(teacher), Rabbi Philip Graubart.
Date: 1932

[Congregation Ahavath Sholom Confirmation Class, 1932]

Description: Copy photograph of the 1932 confirmation class at Congregation Ahavath Sholom. There are eleven girls in white dresses, holding bouquets and standing in a line on a platform. Their teacher, Jennie Moses (Winkler), and Rabbi Philip Graubart are standing in front of them. The students are Sylvia Engler (Roberts), Jesonda Gilbert (Fox), Sadye Maye Carshon (Garsek), Bessie Resnick, Lillian Rose Rabinowitz (Rosenthal), Rebecca Laves, Pearl Paul, Gussie Kruger, Dorothy Dworkin (Glazer), Sarah Weisblatt (Kragen), and Rhoda Kershner.
Date: 1932

[Congregation Ahavath Sholom Confirmation Certificate, 1934]

Description: A certificate of confirmation presented to Fay Rosenthal of the 1934 confirmation class at Congregation Ahavath Sholom. The certificate is signed by congregation Vice President L. F. Shanblum, Secretary Irving Klotzman, and Rabbi Philip Graubart. The confirmation class motto reads, "An Exalted Jewish Womanhood." The certificate has a gold seal with blue and white ribbons on it. At the top of the certificate, there is a picture of the Ten Commandments tablets.
Date: 1934

Texas Centennial Scrapbook

Description: Scrapbook documenting Texas history compiled for a contest in honor of the Texas centennial, including portraits of famous Texans; clippings from newspapers and magazines; and pamphlets for the centennial events in Dallas, Galveston, San Antonio, Del Rio and other regions in Texas.
Date: 1936
Creator: Levy, Doris Rae

[Texas Flag]

Description: Souvenir Texas state flag made of fabric with gold fringe trim, attached to a decorative plastic post that has long gold tassels. This flag was won by Doris Rae Levy for submitting the best scrapbook in her schoolroom to a Texas centennial contest.
Date: 1936

[Clipping: Child Dies Without Seeing Flag She Won]

Description: Photocopy of a newspaper clipping containing an obituary for Doris Rae Levy, age 10, who won a Texas flag prize for entering the best scrapbook in her schoolroom for a Texas centennial contest. The clipping also contains the text of a story relating to the resumption of a fraud trial after an alternate juror became ill, a schedule of programs on primetime TV in the DFW area, and partial portions of other articles.
Date: May 25, 1936

["Presentation," party for Jewish Debutantes]

Description: Photograph of the "Presentation" party for Fort Worth's Jewish Debutantes on November 24, 1956 in the Venetian Ballroom of the Blackstone Hotel. The women in the front row, holding bouquets of flowers, wear floor-length gowns, while men standing behind are wearing tuxedos. They are standing on a stage with curtains hanging behind them. The back row of men from left to right: Nolan Glazer, David Samson, Phillip Hurwitz, Willard Glazer, Irving Rosenthal, Mitchell Victor, and Joseph Shanblum. The front row of women from left to right: Charlotte Miller (Mehl), Eleanor Klotzman (Gachman), Bertha Samson (Shanblum), Annette Bockstein (Taylor), Shirley Ginsburg (Anton), Betty Jo Dresher (Silberstein), Louise Klar (Lipschitz).
Date: November 24, 1936

[1940 Ahavath Sholom Confirmation Class]

Description: Photograph of the 1940 Ahavath Sholom confirmation class standing around the altar of the synagogue located downtown on Taylor Street in Fort Worth, Texas. From left to right, the members of the photograph are: Front row: Bertha Haller, Gloria Sheinberg (Swann). Back row: Rabbi Philip Graubart, Margie Cohen (Levingston), Dorothy Bergman, Jennie Moses (Winkler)(teacher), Dorothy Cohen, Shirley Garston (Cohen), Annie Kaplan, Betty Daiches (Sher).
Date: 1940