Fort Worth Jewish Archives - Browse
Filters have been applied to your results. Adjust settings from lower-left menu.
- [Freeman-Fram Marriage Certificate]
- Printed marriage certificate (called a "Ketubah" in Hebrew) for Nathan Freeman of Waco, Texas, and Etta Rebecca Fram of Dallas, Texas. The couple were married on January 19, 1913, by Rev. Abraham Fram, Etta's father and the cantor at Dallas' Sheareth Israel Congregation. The Hebrew quotation at the top of the document translates as: "The voice of joy; the voice of happiness; the voice of the groom and the voice of the bride." There is an illustration of a marriage ceremony at the top of the certificate in blue ink.
- [Hebrew Institute Building Fund Committee]
- Letterhead stationary for the Hebrew Institute Building Fund Committee outlining all the donors for the institute and their monetary contributions. The building, designed by the architectural firm of Field and Clarkson, was constructed between April and August of 1914 in the 800 block of Taylor Street in Fort Worth, Texas at a cost of $14,668. The top left corner of the document shows an architectural drawing of the building.
- [Portrait of Abraham and Hedwig Salsberg]
- Photograph of Abraham Salsberg (1870-1957) and Hedwig Salsberg (1870-1940), parents of Archie Salsberg. The pair are standing together and were photographed outdoors. Hedwig (left) is wearing a dark-colored dress and has her left arm through her husband's right. Abraham (right) is wearing a light-colored suit and is holding a hat in his left hand. He was a charter member and longtime board member at Fort Worth's Congregation Ahavath Sholom.
- [Portrait of Gertrude Fox]
- Hand-tinted, engagement photograph of Gertrude "Gertie" Fox (1894-1966) of Fort Worth, Texas. She is visible from the chest up, wearing a dark evening gown with rosettes at the left shoulder. She holds a feathered fan in front of her. Fox was from Corsicana and moved to Fort Worth in 1916 when she married Archie Salsberg.
- [Salsberg-Fox Wedding]
- Photograph of the 1916 wedding of Gertrude Fox and Archie Salsberg on the altar at Congregation Ahavath Sholom's synagogue in downtown Fort Worth, Texas. The bride and groom stand in the center of the photograph, surrounded by men wearing tuxedos and top hats and women wearing silk and taffeta dresses. Above the bridal party is a wedding canopy (called a Chuppah in Hebrew). It takes the shape of an arbor covered with flowers and crepe paper resembling wedding bells. Above the arbor there is a ledge containing two tablets inscribed with the Ten Commandments, written in Hebrew, with a potted plant and sculpted lion on either side. A large portion of the lower-right corner of the photograph is missing.