Fort Worth Jewish Archives - 204 Matching Results

Search Results

[Ahavath Sholom Synagogue]

Description: Congregation Ahavath Sholom's fourth synagogue, designed by architect Martin Growald, constructed by contractor Perry McCord and completed in December 1980. The $3.5 million synagogue was located on 12 acres at the corner of Hulen Street and Briarhaven Road. The photograph is taken at night time, and there are lights shining on the building's white stone facade. The words "Congregation Ahavath Sholom" and the congregation's logo are on the exterior of the building.
Date: 1980
Creator: Luskey, David

[Ahavath Sholom Synagogue]

Description: Photograph of the Ahavath Sholom Congregation's third synagogue, located at the intersection of Eighth Avenue and Myrtle Street in Fort Worth, Texas. The $400,000 building, designed by architect Charles O. Chromaster and built by Rambo Construction Co., was completed in the Fall of 1952.The congregation remained at that location until December 1980.
Date: September 1952
Creator: W. D. Smith Commercial Photography

[Ahavath Sholom Synagogue]

Description: Photograph of the Ahavath Sholom Congregation's second synagogue, located in the 800 block Taylor Street, Fort Worth, Texas. The synagogue, constructed in 1906 at a cost of $15,000, was a two-story brick building with stained-glass windows, a sanctuary with a balcony for women, and basement classrooms. The Hebrew phrase above the door translates to: "1906 Ahavath Sholom." The congregation worshiped in this synagogue from 1906 to 1951. The building was torn down to create a parking lot.
Date: 1960~

[Ahavath Sholom Synagogue Construction]

Description: Photograph of the Ahavath Sholom Congregation's fourth synagogue under construction. In the image, only the frame of the synagogue has gone up and there is a crane parked to the right of the building. Construction on the synagogue began in 1979 at the corner of Hulen Street and Briarhaven Road, in Fort Worth, Texas.
Date: 1979
Creator: Luskey, David

[Ark and Bimah, main sanctuary at Beth-El Congregation]

Description: Photograph, taken in 2000, of the "bimah" or altar in the main sanctuary at Beth-El Congregation, 207 W. Broadway, Fort Worth. The building was constructed in 1920, rebuilt in 1948 after a fire gutted the interior, and remodeled in 1981. The 1948 rebuilding and redesign were by the Hungarian-American interior designer Erno Fabry. His design ideas include the stone wall behind the altar, built with reddish Colorado travertine, the ark (which contained the Torahs) framed with gray-veined cremo-Italian marble, as well as the gate with its Art Deco design, and the copper-colored menorahs flanking the ark. In 1981, architect-designer John Mike Cohen of St. Louis oversaw a major remodeling of the sanctuary with peach carpet, chairs, and fiberglass lights resembling a flock of dove.
Date: 2000
Creator: Lauer, Ralph

AZA Banquet

Description: Photograph of an Aleph Zadik Aleph (AZA) Banquet in the ballroom of Fort Worth's Hebrew Institute in the 800 block Taylor Street. The banquet room contains a stage and a piano in the background of the photograph. Members are seated at long tables. From left to right, the members of the photograph are: Cooks (back left, standing): Joe Zenick, Manny Solomon, P.D. Mallin, Sidney Cohen, "Uncle" Lou Cohen. Head Banquet Table (along the stage in the back, to the right of the cooks): Mary Frances Ginsberg, Robert Lidell, Ann Lidell, Rabbi Isadore Garsek, Sadye Mae Garsek, Rabbi Prero, R.D. Moses, Idelle Engelberg, Reuben Daiches, Mrs. Reuben Daiches, Mickey Goldman, Charlotte Max Goldman, unidentified, Adelene Zeff. Members seated at the foreground tables are listed from bottom right to back left. Table 1, row 1: Hy Glickman, Rose Glickman, Ada Robinson, M.Y. Robinson, Mr. Schwartz, Mrs. Schwartz, Mary Sankary, Ann Cohen, Ben Cohen, Selma Tiras, Miss Sankary, unidentified woman, Max Gilbert. Table 1, row 2: Goldie Tills, Joe Tills, Mrs. Kruger, Mr. Kruger, Herb Berkowitz, Adele Natkin, Sue Louis, Gloria Holtzman, Herbert Cooles, Mr. Gilbert, Charlie Levinson, Sam Anton, Bess Levinson, Sarah Anton. Table 2, row 1: Joe Siegel, Leon Tiras, Joe Daiches, Reuben Hillman, unidentified, Goldie Hillman, Ruth Sandler, unidentified man, Sarah Zeff, Sam Saikin, Meyer Zeff, Woff Moses, Aida Moses. Table 2, row 2: unidentified. Table 3, row 1: Abe Cohen, Roselle Cooles, Marshall Hillman, Easer Rovinsky, Lee Laves, Joe A. Sandler, Edward Luskey, Gilbert Friedson. Table 3, row 2: Samuel Sheinberg, Norman Rubin, Mrs. Friedman, Cantor Friedman, Rabbi Charles Blumenthal, Mrs. Blumenthal, unidentified boy, Mimi Bronstein, Danny Glazer. Table 4, row 1: Katheryn Spigel, Sam Spigel, Liz Spigel, Rose Luskey, Jake Luskey, Louis Luskey. Table 4, row 2: Dianne Solomon, Julius Solomon, Selma Solomon.
Date: March 11, 1947
Creator: Photographic Engineers

[B'nai B'rith Youth District Convention]

Description: Photograph of the teenagers at a 1956 B'nai B'rith Youth Organization (BBYO) district convention n Montgomery, Alabama. The conclave was at Huntingdon College. The male wing of the organization is called Aleph Zadik Aleph (AZA), and the female wing is called B'nai B'rith Girls (BBG). Text at the bottom of the photograph says, "BBYO District 7 Convention, Huntington College June 5-10, 1956 Montgomery, Ala."
Date: June 1956
Creator: Robertson, Paul

[Beth-El Congregation Building Committee]

Description: Photograph of Beth-El's Building Committee. Four of the committee members are seated around a wooden table, the other four members are standing behind them. Handwritten notes on the back of the photograph say "Briarhaven Planning Committee" "from Len S. Construction book" and list the persons in the photo from left to right. Front row: Lynny Sankary, [Committee Chairman] Irwin Krauss, Judith Cohen, Billy Rosenthal Back row: Ken Baum, Rabbi Ralph Mecklenburger, Dr. Ira Hollander, Shelden Anisman.
Date: 1999
Creator: Schweitzer, Leonard

[Beth-El Congregation Building Committee Discussing Plans]

Description: Photograph of Beth-El's Building Committee. The committee members are standing around a wooden table looking at the building plans. Handwritten notes on the back of the photograph say "Briarhaven Planning Committee" "from Len S. Construction book" and list the persons in the photo from left to right. Clockwise from left: David Stanford (architect), [Committee Chairman] Irwin Krauss, Ken Baum, Lynny Sankary, Sheldon Anisman, Jane Manning & Bob Wagnon (designers), Rabbi Ralph Mecklenburger, Judith Cohen.
Date: 1999
Creator: Schweitzer, Leonard

[Beth-El Congregation's First Synagogue]

Description: Photograph of Temple Beth-El, the first house of worship for Beth-El, Fort Worth's Reform Jewish congregation. It was a two-story, neo-classical synagogue constructed of wood and stucco. Above the columned entrance was a wooden Star of David, beneath which were the Hebrew words "Y'he Or," meaning "Let There Be Light." Handwritten notes on the back of the photograph say, "Beth-El Congregation's 1st synagogue; built 1908 @ 5th & Taylor Streets. Photo from The Jewish Monitor, 1915. Greek Revival Style, The Hebrew Lettering says: 'Let there be light.'"
Date: 1915
Creator: The Jewish Monitor

[Beth-El Congregation's Second Synagogue]

Description: Photograph of the front entrance of the second house of worship for Beth-El Congregation, Fort Worth's Reform Jewish congregation. The two-story building at 207 W. Broadway Ave., was constructed with red brick and limestone accents. The temple's facade has a frieze above the entry with a quote from Psalms ("Give Ear, O Lord, Unto My Prayer") as well as two menorahs above the entrance. There are many stained-glass windows on the front and side of the building, protected by storm windows. At the far right of the photograph, Broadway Baptist Church is visible behind the synagogue. There is also a car in the bottom right corner, and a lamppost with the street names "Galveston" and "W. Broadway" in the foreground.
Date: 1970
Creator: Stenzler, Marty

[Beth-El Congregation's Second Synagogue]

Description: Photograph of the entrance to the synagogue at 207 W. Broadway Ave. that served Beth-El Congregation from 1920 to 2000. The building has two stories plus a basement with a social hall and kitchen. It is constructed of red brick and limestone. In the photo, the facade has a frieze above the entry with a quote from Psalms ("Give Ear, O Lord, Unto My Prayer") as well as two limestone menorahs above the quotation. The stained-glass windows on the front and side of the building are protected by storm windows. This image shows the front of the building shortly before the congregation moved to a new location across town. Several of the decorative features, particularly the frieze and limestone arches, are stained with black marks from 80 years of air pollution. When the congregation moved in August of 2000, the frieze, menorahs, and a Ten-Commandment carving were removed from the facade and replaced with red brick.
Date: 2000
Creator: Lauer, Ralph

[Beth-El Congregation's Second Synagogue]

Description: Photograph of the second synagogue of Beth-El Congregation, Fort Worth's Reform Jewish house of worship. The photo appears to have been taken in 1948 after the temple was refurbished due to a 1946 fire that gutted the interior. The red-brick building, at 207 W. Broadway Ave., has two-stories plus a basement with a social hall and kitchen. The building's facade has a frieze above the entry with a quote from Psalms ("Give Ear, O Lord, Unto My Prayer") as well as two menorahs above the frieze. There are also stained-glass windows around the entrance and along the length of the building. A handwritten note on the back of the photo says, "Exterior 2nd Temple. 207 W. Broadway."
Date: 1948
Creator: J. Allison

[Book Fair Poster 1965]

Description: Poster for the annual book fair "sponsored by the Council of Jewish Women," as noted on the front on the poster. Full poster text reads: "Book Fair, Give your Books Now to be Sold at Nominal Prices at the BOOK FAIR, APRIL 3 thru 11, SEMINARY SOUTH SHOPPING Center. PHONE WA3-7495 for FREE PICK-UP. PROCEEDS TO BENEFIT TARRANT COUNTY Youth Projects."
Date: 1965

[Book Fair Poster 1979]

Description: Poster for the annual book fair sponsored by the Fort Worth, Texas section of the National Council of Jewish Women, as noted on the front of the poster. The full poster text reads: "THE 21st YEAR BOOK FAIR, MARCH 11 - MARCH 19, At the Lena Pope Home, corner of Hulen and West Freeway (I-20). Sponsored by Ft. Worth Section of the NATIONAL COUNCIL OF JEWISH WOMEN. All kinds of books for sale at nominal prices, proceeds for TARRANT COUNTY COMMUNITY PROJECT. Deposit your used books in barrels located throughout the city."
Date: 1979

[Certificate]

Description: Union of American Hebrew Congregations certificate of membership for Beth-El Congregation of Fort Worth. The certificate is orange in color and has a star-burst design radiating out from a scroll in the center. There is Hebrew text at the top beneath which is the quotation: "Come, let us take counsel together. --Nch. 6:7." The text on the scroll states: The Union of American Hebrew Congregations Established 1873 Hereby certifies that Beth-El Congregation Fort Worth, Texas on March 22, 1907 (Nisan 7, 5667) became a duly affiliated member, entitled to all the rights and privileges of membership and to full participation in its plans and activities for the PERPETUATION AND PROGRESS OF JUDAISM IN AMERICA. Samuel S Hollender Chairman, Executive Board Maurice N. Eisendrath President Presented on November 5, 1955.
Date: March 22, 1907

[Clipping: Child Dies Without Seeing Flag She Won]

Description: Photocopy of a newspaper clipping containing an obituary for Doris Rae Levy, age 10, who won a Texas flag prize for entering the best scrapbook in her schoolroom for a Texas centennial contest. The clipping also contains the text of a story relating to the resumption of a fraud trial after an alternate juror became ill, a schedule of programs on primetime TV in the DFW area, and partial portions of other articles.
Date: May 25, 1936

[Confirmation Announcement, 1989]

Description: Announcement of the Confirmation Class of 1989 "Beth-El Congregation Confirmation Class 1989 Philip Bronstein Brian Roper Andrew Bzostek Jessica Ross Tyler Cohen Hamilton Schwartz Jacqueline Miller Michelle Stein Sara Beth Oderberg Mark Weiner invite you to join them for the Confirmation Service on Friday, June 2, 1989 eight o'clock in the evening in the Sanctuary at Temple Beth-El Galveston and Broadway A reception will follow in the Temple Parlor
Date: unknown

Confirmation Bible of Rose Levenson, Beth-El Congregation

Description: Confirmation Bible, Beth-El Congregation. Presented to Rose Levenson for Confirmation on Shevuoth, May 26, 1909 at Fort Worth, Texas by Rabbi George Zepin. Title page and inscription of the bible states that this volume contains "the Twenty-Four Books of the Holy Scriptures, carefully translated according to the Massoretic text, after the best Jewish authority by Isaac Lesser."
Date: May 26, 1909
Creator: Rabbi George Zepin